Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Should We Give The Homeless A Dime?

Newbie jkun17 may be famous one day jkun17 may be famous one day
    Thanks
    I agree with Arrianna regarding the homeless. Charities know best how to spend money regarding aid to the poor.

True, there are some people who simply chose to be homeless. It's a strange and awkward thought that one should be compelled to live that way, but there are some who live that way because of a series of bad circumstances.

For example, in one of the poorer neighborhoods in California, a teacher could not make enough money to pay for an appartment and his medical expenses. He sold his furniture and car. What he did was he bought a mattress, a truck and a membership to a gym. He put the mattress in the back of his truck and showered at the gym.

Of course, that is an extreme example of homelessness, but for those in that situation they deserve any and all help aid that we can give them. They want to live under better circumstances but cannot. They work hard but simply cannot afford to live in a home or rent an appartment.

Still, charities are the most able and capable of distributing money and aid to the homeless.

Newbie BlueTigerFour may be famous one day BlueTigerFour may be famous one day
    Thanks
    i'm not sure i could be comfortable with myself if i refused to give up a five dollar bill because i didn't trust the homeless man to spend it the way i saw fit. Just because he MIGHT misuse it (according you you anyhow) is no reason to deny some change to a person who really does need it and will use it how you'd like them to.

now if you'll excuse me, i'll have a lot of catching up to do. someone back in fifth grade never gave me my pen back after a test. I need to get busy stockpiling pens and refusing to loan them out to people who don't have anything to write with in class.

Self Banned and Loving it narrator may be famous one day narrator may be famous one day narrator's Avatar
    Thanks
    I'm always glad to give to the needy, theres always talk about them using your money to buy drugs ect. But unless you follow them around you'll never know for sure and i'd like to think that they are actually using it for something good and helpful. Also, if your positions were switched.....and you were homeless...I'm pretty sure you wouldn't want someone to walk by and ignore you.

Newbie Debzie00 may be famous one day Debzie00 may be famous one day Debzie00's Avatar
    Thanks
    I don't give homeless people money. Nor do I give extra change to train and bus station rats who can't afford their on bus/train ride home. Some of them scare me to be quite honest. Some are a little too foward and won't leave me alone. I remember one man coming up to me showing me how empty his wallet was. Well, guess what bucko. Just because I don't smell on B.O and have coffee and urine stains coating my clothing doesn't nescessarily mean I'm Miss Moneybags either. I don't have money to give. Enough said.
    ° Memories are nice,
    ..but that's all they are. °

± deviantART Page ± Minitokyo Page ± Silent Hill ± Audio Scrobbler Profile ±

Otaku sedka may be famous one day sedka may be famous one day sedka's Avatar
    Thanks
    Giving money to homeless people does not solve the problem. It might help a few in the short run, but it'll never solve the homeless problem. If you want to help them, don't give them money. That will only continue the cycle of them staying homeless. Instead, as Arrianna said, give them food, clothing to servive but more importantly, help them get a job. That is the only way to help them in the long run.
    A few years ago, CBS/ABC? did a report on the homeless. They found out that on the average, the homless make $26,000/28,000 in income a year from people giving them money (might be more or a little less, it was a long time ago). A lot of them said that it is easier to get money being homless then working. and those people rather beg then get a job. The news anchor also tried to give them a job. He asked many to come to his home to cut the lawn and he will pay them $20. But only one showed up.

The main point is, don't give them money. Instead buy them food or clothing. But even better find them a job or help the companies that will find jobs for them. That is the best way to help and solve the homeless problem.

Newbie sanguinary_wonderland may be famous one day sanguinary_wonderland may be famous one day sanguinary_wonderland's Avatar
    i'm a girl, I live in toronto ontario canada and no its not always cold up here.
    Thanks
    knowing most of the homeless will probably go and buy drugs with the money you give i dont know if i could trust them. im not trying to be mean, but i had uncles who were homeless at one point and all they bought was boose and drugs. and when my family welcomed them in they still went downtown and still pan handled downtown, so i dont know who to trust anymore. but i still give money once and a while out of pity and also the fact that i dont like to judge them if i dont know them.

Lost in confusion Tetrix 2 v2 Champion Sazzy is making a name for themselves Sazzy is making a name for themselves Sazzy's Avatar
    In my imagination restricted by British Society!
    Thanks
    I never give money to people on the streets because i think i realy need it being a student having to make the money i have last till my next enstalment of my loan is through.

I also fear they will use the money for something stupid like buying more drugs etc.

FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    | Sazzy-Bu.co.uk | My Deviant Art | Anime Vector | Otaku Zen | My Twitter | My Tumblr | My last.fm |

Newbie Alicia_Aaron may be famous one day Alicia_Aaron may be famous one day Alicia_Aaron's Avatar
    Thanks
    The homeless you should give them food or clothing but not money..
    "VASH"

"Only those who are loved can ever be free"

ALK 2005

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast