Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Silmarillion

Otaku roger_smith may be famous one day roger_smith may be famous one day roger_smith's Avatar
    Thanks

The Silmarillion

If you have never read this book I suggest you go buy it. It is without a doubt the greatest piece of work I've ever got my hands on. It has no real main character for two reasons I believe. 1: The book spans over such a long time period and so many characters come into the story and leave(if you know what I'm saying)it is nearly impossible. 2: The book leaves it up to you by making so many characters that are so well loved and admired to pick your own main or favorite character. In my mind it makes it a much fairer choice because no character hogs the spotlight. Its author is J.R.R. Tolkien and it is(also my opinion) better than all his other works. Even though you may have to read it a few times to fully comprehend it. It starts with the making of the world and goes all the way to pre-Hobbit(sort of). If you have a library card or a freind whorelative who has it go pick it up and endulge yourself. And if you like it alot you could always Unfinished Tales which just delves a bit deeper into the first and second ages
    This pain is sratching at my bone.
    And this Loneliness won't leave me alone.

Otaku Vaines may be famous one day Vaines may be famous one day Vaines's Avatar
    Thanks
    The book is indeed interesting, and gives this epic sense. For those of you who don't know what it is, it is the history of the beginning of the world where Lord of the Rings (books and movies) takes place.

Otaku thevampirealacrud may be famous one day thevampirealacrud may be famous one day thevampirealacrud's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaines
    The book is indeed interesting, and gives this epic sense. For those of you who don't know what it is, it is the history of the beginning of the world where Lord of the Rings (books and movies) takes place.

I agree, this interested me, one of the first american books i have read!
    "You have the strength and power to control your own destinies...and that is the greatest gift of all." ~Lucia

ruler of mune667 deaths_raver667 may be famous one day deaths_raver667 may be famous one day deaths_raver667's Avatar
    Thanks
    i havn't read it, and when i first saw it a couple of years ago, the old style of language scared me away, i might give it a go, but at the mo i'm taking on joan and peter by h.g.wells.

just as a question since when was the silmarillion american?
    i am the urban monky
    look to the mune

Otaku roger_smith may be famous one day roger_smith may be famous one day roger_smith's Avatar
    Thanks
    Yah it is considered from england but it didn't get popular until it came here. The old english writing styles are hard to see through but it is worth it. Just get through the first three or four chapters and then your good to go. And please do not confuse those horrible movies with these beautiful books. Peter Jackson ruined everything Tolkien worked so hard to create(strictly my opinion).

Otaku Lady Sasumi may be famous one day Lady Sasumi may be famous one day Lady Sasumi's Avatar
    Thanks
    Hmm.....sounds like a long book. Not to be mean or anything but it sounds really boring. I guess I'll read a few pages of it sometime, to see if I'm right about the boring factor.

Thanks
    Yah you'd have to have a certain devotion to fantasy epics(like I do) to not find this book boring. But it does have a little something for everyone though. Love,War, and dragon slaying. It also happens to have the most diabolical villian ever(opinion). You'd have to read more than a few pages though and you'd probably have to read it over and over.

Otaku Vaines may be famous one day Vaines may be famous one day Vaines's Avatar
    Thanks
    Oh come on everyone knows the most diabolical vilain is Emperor Palpatine

If you think that book is long, you shouldn't even think of reading the LOTR trilogy

And it is an English book, it was published after the death of Tolkien, and I believe it was his son who took all the notes together and structured the book.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast