Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: smoking

Otaku linx88 may be famous one day linx88 may be famous one day
    Thanks

smoking

i just saw Thirteen last night and me and a few friends started talking about it. we discussed drugs and drinking and what our parents would do if they found out(we're still in high school). we talked about how some of us are "afriad to smoke". i mean smoking does kill you faster and those who says it doesn't should be beaten with a metal bat for their stupidity. the other half of us said that they aren't afraid to smoking but of their parents. alot of my friends' parents are either doctors or beyond strict. the kids with doctors for parents said they know everything about reprocutions of smoking and the kids with strict parents would be beyond severely punished(as in no car, driving, isolation, no phone and no electronics all at once and in some cases beaten) some of the kids i hung out with started smoking and were all sent to military school. now we can't say smoking was never really always bad. if any of you remember, when north america was being settled and the when the US was being formed, tobbacco was one hell of a major cash crop. now smoking aside there are many other types of problems out there. two major ones, seen in thirteen, were peer-pressure and trying to be what you clearly shouldn't. the girl in thirteen had a good life. not the best life but still good. but once she began to hang out with Evie(i think that's her name) her life goes down the drain. her grades drop, her friends(her real friends) leave her, and her family life crashes. she eventually is able to get things right but what we found sad and a little scary is that these things really happen. anyway peple who seen the movie or agree please tell me what you think.
    www.myspace.com/fallabletruth

92% of teens moved to rap. if u are part of the 8% that rock out every day, put this on your sig!!!!

Lost in confusion Tetrix 2 v2 Champion Sazzy is making a name for themselves Sazzy is making a name for themselves Sazzy's Avatar
    In my imagination restricted by British Society!
    Thanks
    I think that is mostly dominated by either smokers, drinkers, and drugies or non of the previous. People thought at my high school that if you didn't smoke, drink or take drugs then you were cool but a nerd. But I was ok with that, it just seemed to me that i would just livr longer then them and be more healthy. The problem with being a school like this is because a lot a teenagers want to be cool and give into peer presure too easily. I think in a way that punishing a child for causing a lot of damage to their body, especiall those who parents are doctors, are right because they don't want to do what all parents fear to do, which is bury their kids. No-one wants that! If those are affraid to smoke then it's ok but because you don't have to be cool smoke but to be friendly and get to know a lot of people. But Peer presure is just getting to crazy and many people do give in. Those who don't can seem strong because they can say no to things and don't worry about what every one else thinks.

Sorry if this not what you wanted to speak about! but anyway........
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    | Sazzy-Bu.co.uk | My Deviant Art | Anime Vector | Otaku Zen | My Twitter | My Tumblr | My last.fm |

Newbie jkun17 may be famous one day jkun17 may be famous one day
    Thanks
    Actually, if you smoke there's about a 1/3 chance that you will die as a result of smoking. Not necessarily that you'll die considerably younger, but you could die at age 78 of lung cancer instead of age 85 because of natural causes.

However, look at it from another perspective:
    If you don't smoke, what do you get?
    - Considerably lower chance of Lung Cancer (you can still get it just from the air pollution but not nearly as high a rate as if you were smoking)
    - No gum disease
    - No tooth decay
    - No brown stain on teeth
    - No bad breath

What do you get if you do smoke?
    - Look cool (?) [I really don't think so]
    - Increase chance of lung cancer by about 1/3
    - Bad breath
    - Costly dental work to repair gum and dental damage
    - Asthma
    - Emphazema
    - Polluting your childrens' lungs
    - Polluting the lungs of the people around you
    - Forced to stay outside to "satisfy" your "need"

In the end, which seems like the better option?

Domme Kasai may be famous one day Kasai may be famous one day Kasai's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jkun17
    Actually, if you smoke there's about a 1/3 chance that you will die as a result of smoking. Not necessarily that you'll die considerably younger, but you could die at age 78 of lung cancer instead of age 85 because of natural causes.

However, look at it from another perspective:
    If you don't smoke, what do you get?
    - Considerably lower chance of Lung Cancer (you can still get it just from the air pollution but not nearly as high a rate as if you were smoking)
    - No gum disease
    - No tooth decay
    - No brown stain on teeth
    - No bad breath

What do you get if you do smoke?
    - Look cool (?) [I really don't think so]
    - Increase chance of lung cancer by about 1/3
    - Bad breath
    - Costly dental work to repair gum and dental damage
    - Asthma
    - Emphazema
    - Polluting your childrens' lungs
    - Polluting the lungs of the people around you
    - Forced to stay outside to "satisfy" your "need"

In the end, which seems like the better option?
    I have never seen the movie. But agree with this. She lost everythign it seemed. But had the chance to get it back. Everyone does not have that chance.
    Seduced by Flesh

jao
    Otaku jao may be famous one day jao may be famous one day
    Thanks
    A few things--

First bad breathe doesn't just come from smokers. Some people have horrid breath anyhow.

Next, just smoking tobacco usually doesn't mess a persons life up too much. I had friends who were smokers in Jr. High and also the 'crowd' they were with often weren't the brightest and great achievers, a lot of them went on to College etc.

Usually if you smoke out of peer pressure you're going to end up drinking and most likely trying pot.

I never smoked anything but pot for close to a year. Pretty much everday about 1/2 gram a day.It really can turn your head into some foolish places, makes you pretty forgetfull and lazy but it was safer than drinking in my opinion.

I wasn't additicted to it either--last new years I vowed to completely cut it out of my life, and I did. I smokes a twice over the year with some old friends and it wasn't much..

I haven't seen the movie either but if people are going to always smoke for the nicotine 'high'. Social gatherings won't survive without being buzzed and our culture thrieves on idiots.

[J]

Smoking really kills lowers your health. Immune system, and if you're athletic like me--you notice the differece.

Sib
    Otaku Sib may be famous one day Sib may be famous one day Sib's Avatar
    Thanks
    I've never seen the movie, but I fully agree.

I've never heard of any smoking, drug or alcohol stories with happy endings. I can understand that people might want to escape at times, but there are better ways of doing so.
    Peer pressure probably is the main reason people start smoking and taking drugs. I don't think anyone really wants to do them, and only end up doing so because they feel they have to... which is the real tragedy.

jao. You smoke pot... how did you get started?

Hmmm... He's not technically human, so it wouldn't really be like cannibalism...
    .:Anime Relfections:.l.:SibArt (Being Updated):.

11:11 Delerium may be famous one day Delerium may be famous one day Delerium's Avatar
    Thanks
    Well I will add this. Dont judge a person because they smoke. I hate smoking, I dont do it and I never will (currently 22 years old) but one of my best friends and my girlfriend are smokers. I dont approve of it, but smoking doesnt make people bad. I think if you are old enough to buy your own cigarettes its ok, go ahead if you want to smoke. But kids of only 12 and 13 years old, thats a little young. I tried my first cigarette around that age which also happens to have been my last one.

I think honestly its just a social mechanism for most people. Like take my girlfriend for example. She doesnt need to smoke and doesnt even consider herself a smoker. Which tears me up because if you smoke you are a smoker, I'm sorry. Anyways thats left for arguments between us. Back on topic, the only times she really smokes is when she is around smokers or maybe when we're driving somewhere. Social smokers. Its sad, but its like a whole other universe non-smokers arent allowed into. You'll especially find this out in college. And actually smokers are very considerate people most of the time, I know people always ask me if its ok and make sure I'm comfortabel with it, which is all I can really ask for.

The only thing that truely bugs me is at work. Smokers get smoke breaks, non-smokers dont get this "smoke break." You mean to tell me because I dont smoke I should have to work without any sort of break. Not trying to be a little bitch, but doesnt sound fair to me.

Otaku kryptonic may be famous one day kryptonic may be famous one day kryptonic's Avatar
    Thanks
    First of all, smoking is suicide cuase your technically killing yourself. Second, a pack costs like $6, so your paying for somthing that does nothing but harm you. I can't understand why people smoke but i agree with Delerium about not judging people who smoke.
    When you're caught between Good and Evil, Make them both suffer.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast