Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Some type of spywear virus problem.

cry
    Newbie cry may be famous one day cry may be famous one day cry's Avatar
    Thanks

Some type of spywear virus problem.

I'm not sure what it is, but it disabled the option for me to change my desktop.

you can see my desktop here.

I ran a spywear scan and it came up with something but then I deleted it, and yet it is still messed up.

It wont let me change my homepage either.

it set it to this

If anybody is familiar with this I would like to know how to remove it.

Newbie JEEB may be famous one day JEEB may be famous one day JEEB's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Some type of spywear virus problem.

Well it sure is infected with something that looks like it has more to do with ADware rather than spyware. It just advertises all over the place. And that error looks like just the background changed. I think I found a way to cure it from another forum (clickie). Just read the posts down the line.

Hope it helps. And in any case, be more careful while using the internet, do not use IE that much (as you have FF installed - make it default and delete that IE icon from the desktop so that even family members can't get to it easily) and do not click ok on any Javascript questions on sites you don't trust.
    人生フゥ~!!!

Cheetos Overlord jaderabbit may be famous one day jaderabbit may be famous one day jaderabbit's Avatar
    Thanks

if worst comes to worst.... bust out that xp disc and reinstall.... watch what site u visit...!!
    -Just another green eyed angel, distorted by mans love for hate-
    |THE INFAMOUS CHEETOS OVERLORD||IceNineKills|

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble

Which Spyware removal tool did you use??? And have you tried the Microsoft Spyware Removal Beta available at http://www.microsoft.com/spyware/
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

cry
    Newbie cry may be famous one day cry may be famous one day cry's Avatar
    Thanks

Yeah I have Microsoft Spyware Removal Beta and when I used it something came up and I deleted it right away and yet it is still there, but when whatever it is got some anti spywear program and downloaded itself onto my computer. It also added some weird folders and websites onto my favorites. Oh and thanks JEEB umm i havent yet tried your method but it look like it'll help.

Otaku bugsbunnyz may be famous one day bugsbunnyz may be famous one day
    Thanks

Well I had something like this a while ago, and I coudnt change my desktop or internet homepage either, but I got a program called "Spyware Doctor" and it helped loads, any kinda spyware or addware gets deleted everytime you run a scan, it's a pretty good program all in all and it updates itself every week, look into it....

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

I had the exact same problem (heres my thread about it: Weird problem (Desktop options disabled) )

There were some links that looked promising, but I wound up just having to format the harddrive.

the background is actually an HTML page called "Desktop.html" in your windows directory, just delete that. It doesn't fix the problem, but it does get rid of the text.

and I just thought of something, do you have system restore turned on? If so, try restoring to an previous date before this happed

Quote Originally Posted by bugsbunnyz
    Well I had something like this a while ago, and I coudnt change my desktop or internet homepage either, but I got a program called "Spyware Doctor" and it helped loads, any kinda spyware or addware gets deleted everytime you run a scan, it's a pretty good program all in all and it updates itself every week, look into it....
    A link would be nice
    Last edited by aceman67; Jul 14, 2005 at 11:56 AM.

Otaku bugsbunnyz may be famous one day bugsbunnyz may be famous one day
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aceman67
    A link would be nice
    Oh, ok sorry here you go, I think this is it

spyware doctor

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast