Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Some type of spywear virus problem.

cry
    Newbie cry may be famous one day cry may be famous one day cry's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Some type of spywear virus problem.

Well I tried the spywear doctor thing and I scanned. Came out to be that there were 174 things infected, but I had to buy the thing for it to remove the infected files. How exactly does formatting the hardrive work?

Newbie JEEB may be famous one day JEEB may be famous one day JEEB's Avatar
    Thanks

Now before you start doing that (formatting your HD) remember that it'll clear all the data on the hard disk's selected partition tables - meaning that all the data will be deleted. If you have a recent backup, OK. If not - you'll spend a day or two re-installing all the apps etc. But if you really can't cure it with the link I gave, it's the easiest solution.

Bring out your Windows XP Install CD, boot with it (so that it doesn't load the installed Windows) and then start the installation as a new one and from the partition selection menu delete/format the drive(s) you want reformatted. It'll propably ask whether you want to use NTFS or FAT32. Usually NTFS is preferred, but if you use Linux and want to write to the disk, FAT32 is the only option in order to write files straight to the disk.

Then just install WinXP again and then download all updates and install the software you use.

Of course you can reformat using pre-made diskettes or something like that, but the WinXP install CD seems like the easiest solution.
    Last edited by JEEB; Jul 14, 2005 at 09:35 PM.
    人生フゥ~!!!

Newbie nirvana beyond stupidity may be famous one day nirvana beyond stupidity may be famous one day nirvana beyond stupidity's Avatar
    Thanks

If you want to backup large data files(Music, Movies, and other Media) it helps to have another Harddive that has been formated but no OS loaded on it, and put it in as a slave, transfer you large files and then format the other harddrive.. I had to do this because I had to format mine so I just popped in another HD saved my music and movie files(some over 1.18GBs each) and just hope whatever spyware you got is not in one of those files you back up..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2