Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Spontaneous Human Combustion

Otaku ffgirl23 may be famous one day ffgirl23 may be famous one day ffgirl23's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Spontaneous Human Combustion

Quote Originally Posted by narrator
    This is the one topic where I beleive it just as much as I don't beleive it. That's what makes discussing it so difficult.
    Exactly. I think it comes from watching the shows where they have both someone trying to disprove the theory, and someone who is trying to prove it. Cause during the whole show, you're like "Yeah, that's true" about one idea and then "Yeah, that's true, too" about another idea. Common sense tells me that like the crop circles, someone is just yanking our chain. But I also kind of like the idea that it could happen, because it's just so fascinating and mysterious. Plus, you can always hold out hope that you'd get to see it happen yourself, preferably to someone you hate. I think I would laugh myself stupid...

And I remember now, at the top of my lungs in my arms, she dies, she dies.

Controlling you through a chip in your butt since 2004

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks

hey anyone remember from years ago that UPN has this movie about a bunch of kids exploding into flames because they were taking some sort of drug??

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

As Seen on Internet KenX may be famous one day KenX may be famous one day
    Thanks

Being a large proportion water, the human body does not burn very well. However, in many cases of SHC victims' bodies were reduced to cinders. To render the body to such a state requires temperatures of more than 1700°C (3000°F). Even in modern crematoria, which have temperatures around 1100°C (2000°F), bones cannot be broken down completely and have to be ground into smaller pieces.

There is however something called The "wick Effect that is only in theory.

The wick effect theory essentially says that a person is burned through his/her own fats after being ignited, accidentally or otherwise. The clothed human body acts like an 'inside-out' candle: the human fat (the fuel source) is inside and the clothing of the victim (the wick) is outside. Hence there is a continuous supply of fuel in the form of melting fat seeping into the victim's clothing. Fat contains a large amount of energy due to the presence of long hydrocarbon chains.
    Last edited by KenX; Dec 14, 2005 at 10:19 PM.

Otaku ffgirl23 may be famous one day ffgirl23 may be famous one day ffgirl23's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KenX
    Being a large proportion water, the human body does not burn very well. However, in many cases of SHC victims' bodies were reduced to cinders. To render the body to such a state requires temperatures of more than 1700°C (3000°F). Even in modern crematoria, which have temperatures around 1100°C (2000°F), bones cannot be broken down completely and have to be ground into smaller pieces.

There is however something called The "wick Effect that is only in theory.

Edit: There was someone who put the wick theory into experiment.
    Again, 2 differeing viewpoints that make you think it could go either way on how possible it is...I also remember a theory about atoms moving at incredibly high speed as a result of the earth's rotation and then causing the body to heat up...this one was probably the most 'out there' theory, and it required a lot of specific criteria in order to even be remotely possible. Not a theory that could be tested, to say the least.

That's another mystery of SHC; that the surrounding area is almost never affected, only the body. Very bizarre.
    Last edited by ffgirl23; Dec 14, 2005 at 10:20 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ffgirl23
    Again, 2 differeing viewpoints that make you think it could go either way on how possible it is...I also remember a theory about atoms moving at incredibly high speed as a result of the earth's rotation and then causing the body to heat up...this one was probably the most 'out there' theory, and it required a lot of specific criteria in order to even be remotely possible. Not a theory that could be tested, to say the least.
    Using a dead pig wrapped in a blanket and placed in a mocked-up room, the BBC set out to prove the 'wick' theory in its science television show QED. A small amount of petrol was poured on the blanket as an accelerant. After igniting the petrol, the researchers left it to burn by itself. The temperature of the fire was regularly recorded at only around 800°C (1472°F). As the fire burned through the pig's skin, the fire melted the pig's subcutaneous fats, which flowed onto the blanket. Bone marrow, which also contains a high amount of fats, contributed to the burning. The surrounding furniture was not burned, although a television placed above a cupboard had its plastic cover melted. The fire had to be manually extinguished after seven hours. Most of the pig's body had been burned to ashes.

From the experiment, the BBC researchers explained the following characteristics of SHC:

· The fires were highly localized. The flames of the fire were less than 500 millimetres (20 inches) high; therefore, the fire usually did not spread to furniture in the vicinity.
    · The body was severely burned. The fire, although not very hot comparatively, can burn for a long period of time, as shown by the experiment. It is further fuelled by the body fat of the victim, which explains why the body can burn for such a long time.
    · The furniture located above the cupboards burned. The fire continuously heated the air and produced a convection current. Hot air rose and caused the plastics in the television set to melt.

Self Banned and Loving it narrator may be famous one day narrator may be famous one day narrator's Avatar
    Thanks

Damn, that "Wick Effect" gives me a new perspective on the whole situation. It definately seems plausable and legit. Good lookin' out, Ken.

Thanks

I'm surprised you haven't heard this one, narrator. Like KenX's post says, it certainly seems to be the most likely cause...assuming of course that all the victims in the cases had enough fat to fule the fire. I know every body has some fat in their body, but I would think that there would have to be a certain amount needed in order to maintain the heat long enough to disintegrate the whole body.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ffgirl23
    I'm surprised you haven't heard this one, narrator. Like KenX's post says, it certainly seems to be the most likely cause...assuming of course that all the victims in the cases had enough fat to fule the fire. I know every body has some fat in their body, but I would think that there would have to be a certain amount needed in order to maintain the heat long enough to disintegrate the whole body.
    Most victims are aslo said to be Alcoholic.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast