Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Star ocean 3: Till the end of time

Cheetos Overlord jaderabbit may be famous one day jaderabbit may be famous one day jaderabbit's Avatar
    Thanks
    9.... cause i loved the game play and the characters an storyline...yummy

and cheetos, cause their the best....
    -Just another green eyed angel, distorted by mans love for hate-
    |THE INFAMOUS CHEETOS OVERLORD||IceNineKills|

Newbie pookie9 may be famous one day pookie9 may be famous one day pookie9's Avatar
    Thanks
    I'm going to divide it up into categories.

Story 4/10 :Thumbd:
    --> After a certain point, I lost complete interest in the story, but I guess the endings are well delivered.
    Gameplay 9/10
    --> Awesome battle system, real-time! Only trouble I had was that sometimes my AI characters would be running away and avoiding battle, despite the fact I put them on "Fight Fight Fight!" (forgot what it really is) and had them set to 10 Attack and 5 Defence.
    Graphics 9/10
    --> Can't really say anything but awesome

ROCK N ROLL mamimi_rue may be famous one day mamimi_rue may be famous one day mamimi_rue's Avatar
    Upon a mound.. somewheres around ..here ?
    Thanks
    I would rate it a 8 as well. The storyline was as what I expected, but the "real-time" fighting gets annoying and the exagerated gameplay..... *wwoooo* I got tired of it. I loved the characters though, and share many opinions with everyone also who said that. Star Ocean was a good game, not great, like I've heard my friends say.
    much love to socketto
    ...what of this mongrel architect, our broken armor soon will set, past, present, and future tense...

Newbie Marik ishtar may be famous one day Marik ishtar may be famous one day
    Thanks

Talking

10/10 becuase it's the best RPG on PS2. this is my first post so i hope it was in the right thread-thingy....

Newbie Dekar may be famous one day Dekar may be famous one day Dekar's Avatar
    Thanks
    Ok first of I seem to be the only one which honestly cares and takes downpoints into consideration. Star Ocean 3 is so far the worst RPG I've played, ever.

Ok, now for my 'review' 8P
    ---
    First off, Star Ocean 3 is a highly overated RPG, clearly not worth all the hype it's been given. At best it's an OK RPG with some nice (and not so nice) twists.

- The graphics are extremly poor. Examples are extremely deformed heads, long blocks as entire hands and overall not to impressive area graphics. The only + I can see is that they have aimed at making stuff like hair and clothes move like IRL, but a bunch of other game have done that as well and succeded so nothing special there either. Clearly a dissapointment compared to SE all other games. 6/10

- The Story, or should I even call the 'thing' that? Honestly do I even need to explain how poor and utterly boring the story is? How pointless it all seems and how actually dumb all the characters seem to be as we see the story unfold. 4/10

- The Characters suck, royally. I totally annoyed myself over practically every character that even had potential to be normal or cool, and a bunch of other too. They weren't even interesting at all, nothing that made them really special or set them apart from other video game characters really.
    The 'coolest' of them all Albel (the Wicked/Weak/Sucky) wasn't really that cool at all, he was simply not as annoying or corny as all the other characters but he was amongst the crappiest of them all while in battle =/
    Fayt can't really be considered cool either since he's so dull, he's a just clone of your typical anime hero. 4/10

+ - The Sound . The music could be really good at times, like the first forest world you were in or in the semi-ruined city theme which sorta reminded me of "Valkyrie Profile's" OST. 8/10. Ok now the worst part of the game, the VO (Voice Acting), now some characters had so disgusting voices that I actually turned off the sound the moment I saw their faces pop up (amongst them are Nel's 2 companions, the 'elite', which always proves themselves to be worthless by getting captured etc most of the time). Other random bad voiceactors examples are Cliff and some random story NPC's like the elf kid at the forest planet for example. Clearly the VO for SO3 is amongst the worst I've ever seen, if not the worst for anything. 3/10

+ - The Battlesystem was quite alright, could be pretty fun at time because of the real time action. But as soon as the AI kicks in for your characters, they are doomed or if your lucky, only waste 70% of their mana and health during 1 battle. They are really annoying at the more harder fights, since they only tend to do these 3 things, 1. Die, 2. Near Death state and in constant need of healing while in return doing little to nothing, 3. You are lucky, this time they actually hit their opponent with more than 2 attacks. At times they did these random acts of strangeness and ran around in circles in front of the enemy and got stabbed to death the the exact same chop from the same enemy 8P
    A shame really, this battlesystem had great potential but got ruined by the bad AI, 7/10

+ Color Twins, this was a fun little thingy they put in though. The ability to change the look of your characters is always welcomed in my book Some were pretty cool as well, made some of the characters look a lot better. A shame it's only during the battles where you can hardly see any detail =/

# There are some things I haven't mentioned which are also great dissapointments but it would be to tiring to write all that down as well, the above should be enough methinks 8P

Overall Score: 6/10 , a below average RPG. If you plan on spending money on a RPG in the near future, I'd advice you to stay away from Star Ocean 3: Till the End of Time. There are far better new RPG's out there which I'd heavily advice you to buy instead of this game, some of them you really should buy or at least check out are...

Shadow Hearts 2: Covenant
    Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
    Growlancer Generations
    Last edited by Dekar; Jan 01, 2005 at 01:02 PM.
    Ah, distinctly I remember, it was in the bleak December,
    And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.
    Eagerly I wished the morrow; vainly I had sought to borrow
    From my books surcease of surrow, sorrow for the lost Lenore,
    For the rare and radiant maiden whom the angels name Lenore,
    Nameless here forevermore.

Gundam Builder Ragn0r0x may be famous one day Ragn0r0x may be famous one day Ragn0r0x's Avatar
    Thanks
    I just borrowed it from a friend and started playing it. So far I would give it a 9

Newbie alteru may be famous one day alteru may be famous one day alteru's Avatar
    Thanks
    i like the storyline a lot. it kinda made me think about how the world is created and all. yeah...the graphics are kinda not-so-ok compared to FF series. but hey, they have their own reason making them look like that. low polygon counts and textures i mean, not the deformed heads. they made it like that so that they can put many characters in one screen. if they're too detailed, the ps2 will have problems running it right? take FFX for example. sometimes, in cut scenes, only yuna and tidus looks good (high polygon counts and textures) the rest like kimahri and wakka looks like crap (their eyes are barely textures, etc). they make them look like that so that the game will run smoothly.

i like this game a lot. im giving it a 9 because i don't really like the voice over and the dull cut scenes. but hey, this game really push the ps2 to it's limit. the battle looks amazing and runs so smoothly. and it has the best battle system so far!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast