Thread: Star Wreck - the weird amongst many

Newbie JEEB may be famous one day JEEB may be famous one day JEEB's Avatar
    Thanks

Star Wreck - the weird amongst many

I don't know how many of you are fans of Star Treck, Babylon 5 or science fiction in general, but here's a project that's propably worth looking at.

Star Wreck VI: In the Pirkinning (clickie)

Seven years in design and six years in production, this humongous fan project is coming to an end (at last). Starting as a fifteen-minutes action pack made by a bunch of sci-fi fans and glorified with beautiful CG art, it gradually evolved into a full-blown movie that even has a storyline (^_^) and got into the IMDb. On the scale of the country it's been done in, it's phenomenal - even if the movie sucks. The CG quality already overcomes overall quality issues.

As long as my opinion is concerned, I find this movie a great showcase of the quality of indie groups that do it "for fun". As for historical facts, in Finland this is the largest fan work so far that has ended as a full movie as well as the first science fiction comedy that has been done domestically (not forgetting the fact that it's the biggest independent release in Finland, as well). I wonder how it would go if sci-fi projects would actually get official support and a decent budget in a country like this.

Some of the humour will, of course, be because of Finnish language (Sci-fi vocabulary isn't actually 'cool' or 'usual' in Finnish), but there should be some dark humour as well (all's intentional) in it. But as of right now, it's hard to say how it'll work out in the end. Let's just hope that it'll be one-and-a-half hours well spent when it'll come out.

It will be released on August 20th (premiere) via printed DVDs and, as the MPEG-4- encoding is done, as a download on the site (torrent network will be used as well). English subtitles should be included and other languages should come as soon as they're translated.
    人生フゥ~!!!

Otaku kogome may be famous one day kogome may be famous one day
    Thanks

Re: Star Wreck - the weird amongst many

mmm ive scean the episode's but there making a movie of it cool but doe's it have any fan's be side's me
    Last edited by kogome; Aug 18, 2005 at 12:07 AM.

Newbie Aiselin may be famous one day Aiselin may be famous one day Aiselin's Avatar
    Thanks

Hmm... if they do put it up for download, I might check it out...

Newbie fuujin may be famous one day fuujin may be famous one day fuujin's Avatar
    Thanks

sounds pretty cool, of course a fan of Star Trek/Babylon 5/many other sci fi shows who isn't? (don't speak up if you arn't)

Newbie JEEB may be famous one day JEEB may be famous one day JEEB's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aiselin
    Hmm... if they do put it up for download, I might check it out...
    That's the whole point. It's a fan production that you can support by buying stuff (and you'll get the DVD right after the premiere if you pre-order), but it's gonna be free (as soon as they've gotten over the premiere, they'll start encoding it in either DivX or XviD, so it'll be available).
    Quote Originally Posted by kogome
    ...doe's it have any fan's be side's me...
    Actually it has quite a lot of fans, most in Finland (the old ones being shown in High schools and Universities plus some Nokia offices), but some abroad, too. Finns mostly know it now because of many magazines/newspapers that cover it. Sometimes it has even managed to get onto the front page. It's even been Slashdotted a couple of times, as far as I remember.
    人生フゥ~!!!