Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Stem Cell Research

5.00 M33-6 solking may be famous one day solking may be famous one day solking's Avatar
    Thanks

Exclamation Stem Cell Research

This is a topic that I was debating on in class today. Stem cell research is being used to treat people with certain diseases but as well is viewed as murdering unborn children. Here is a link to the latest CNN article:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/08/....ap/index.html

Here is another link explaining what it is:

http://library.thinkquest.org/04oct/...ab_whatis.html

Please give me your opinions and view points on this topic. All information and opinions are valuable.
    Last edited by solking; Sep 02, 2005 at 05:51 AM.

Otaku bugsbunnyz may be famous one day bugsbunnyz may be famous one day
    Thanks

Re: Stem Cell Research

I agree with stem cell research, for me, if there's any hope of advancing foreward, certain taboos must be overcome... But having said that I also understand the reason why certain people are against it, but I'm with the greater good on this subject.

5.00 M33-6 solking may be famous one day solking may be famous one day solking's Avatar
    Thanks

I actually agree with the topic even though it is against my religious beliefs. The latest research is actually using the umbiblical (spelling bad) cord and cell from human noses for this research. But then again what about the future. The approval of stem cell research can also lead to cloning. And with the imperfection of humans, who knows what kind of evil can arise from this. If cloning methods were ever perfected through stem cell research, any criminal could easily alter their appearance and never be caught. That's when sci-fi can become reality.

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by solking
    I actually agree with the topic even though it is against my religious beliefs. The latest research is actually using the umbiblical (spelling bad) cord and cell from human noses for this research. But then again what about the future. The approval of stem cell research can also lead to cloning. And with the imperfection of humans, who knows what kind of evil can arise from this. If cloning methods were ever perfected through stem cell research, any criminal could easily alter their appearance and never be caught. That's when sci-fi can become reality.
    How would he alter his appearance?

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble

What is being discussed for 'Cloning' from stem cell research is 'Therapeutic Cloning', the production of replacement skin and internal organs for surgical replacement. As far as 'Human Cloning' (creation of a Human being), so far, no one has been able to clone any primate species, (and alot of people have tried). And if 'Human Cloning' is ever successfully done, the only thing that would result would be the creation of a human baby. The process of genetic cloning does not transfer personalities, memories, or environmental effects. (just as 'maternal twins' does not result in the creation of 'duplicate' persons...)
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kastelic4444
    How would he alter his appearance?
    Well after 30 or 40 years of research the stem cells (if proven possible) could be used just like prostetics. If they are able to generate skin then the skin can be shaped in any form they wanted. Which means the alteration of face. This is just a sci-fi theory that seems to become more possible as time progresses.

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LenMiyata
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

What is being discussed for 'Cloning' from stem cell research is 'Therapeutic Cloning', the production of replacement skin and internal organs for surgical replacement. As far as 'Human Cloning' (creation of a Human being), so far, no one has been able to clone any primate species, (and alot of people have tried). And if 'Human Cloning' is ever successfully done, the only thing that would result would be the creation of a human baby. The process of genetic cloning does not transfer personalities, memories, or environmental effects. (just as 'maternal twins' does not result in the creation of 'duplicate' persons...)
    Wow that could be great. You need a new heart or liver, clone one. Think of what it could do for burn victems.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kastelic4444
    Wow that could be great. You need a new heart or liver, clone one. Think of what it could do for burn victems.
    The biggest problem with that is that those organs have a greater risk of organ failure. The stem cells can have a negative reaction and cause tumors and cancer as well.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast