Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Stem Cell Research

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Stem Cell Research

Grumble Grumble Grumble
    Quote Originally Posted by solking
    The biggest problem with that is that those organs have a greater risk of organ failure. The stem cells can have a negative reaction and cause tumors and cancer as well.
    If someone is in need of a new heart or liver, I think the last thing on his mind would be the threat of cancer twenty to thirty years down the line. He'd be more concerned on just LIVING twenty to thirty years down the line.... Since no one has yet been able to clone a organ from stem cell tissue cultures, no one knows what the resulting risks actually are...

Also, using cloned tissue for cosmetic surgery would really be no different from 'plastic' surgery of today...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

5.00 M33-6 solking may be famous one day solking may be famous one day solking's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LenMiyata
    Also, using cloned tissue for cosmetic surgery would really be no different from 'plastic' surgery of today...
    That maybe true. But the advances on this research would make cosmetic surgery cheaper and much easier to get a hold of. After 20 years or so people will probably have cosmetic surgery kits in their homes. No one really knows what the future holds...

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by solking
    The latest research is actually using the umbiblical (spelling bad) cord and cell from human noses for this research.
    True. They can also get stem cells from the persons own bone marrow. I believe umbilical cord stem cells are the most usuable however. From what I understand thanks to umbilical stem cells the emergency concerning embrionic stem cell research is pretty much over, execpt for the specific scientists working on it.

I may be off on this but I get the impression that you have several teams all over the US working on this from different angles. Their funding is based on the angle they use. Since the embrionic stem cells funded by the federal government are becoming less usable those teams using that type of research are trying to get federal resrictions losened for funding.

FUNDING not legality. All they are prevented from doing is getting FEDERAL funding for new embrionic cells. There is no legal reason they can't get private funding for it, yet they can't seem to get it. I know there other researching teams using other methods who are being privatly funded. So it appears to me that the private sector has no confidence in it, won't fund it, so they're desperate for federal funding instead.

My thought? Let it die. We have a replacement that isn't controversial and works just as well. Who needs it.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Otaku Barronmore may be famous one day Barronmore may be famous one day Barronmore's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bugsbunnyz
    I agree with stem cell research, for me, if there's any hope of advancing foreward, certain taboos must be overcome... But having said that I also understand the reason why certain people are against it, but I'm with the greater good on this subject.
    Just becuase the "greater good" is served does not mean that its morally right (this is true outside of this debate too). I oppose embryonic stem cell research because of it's destrutive nature to human life...especially considering the fact we can use stem cells that don't destroy the human life associated with them. Would you kill a living person if killing them COULD cure you of a desease or condition? If not, why would you support killing the unborn for the same cure?

My problem with the whole stem cell debate is that we are being told all these great things this research will cure...but there is no proof. This research is still in it's infancy and has a long way to go. Were not going to discover these cures with this technology tomarrow...yet that is what some proponents are saying.

Wouldn't it be better to use the cells we have to do this reserach and not destory any more lives in the process. It seems hypocritical to me to kill one life to save another.

Devoted Otaku Spike'sRose may be famous one day Spike'sRose may be famous one day Spike'sRose's Avatar
    Thanks

As far as embrionic stem cell research... It may seem wrong. But it's HELPING us! It's helping us to understand ways to prevent awful diseases that affect millions of people all over the world. If you think this is wrong, you should think about all the real ways people abuse embryos - drinking alcohol, smoking, and doing drugs while pregnant will destroy an unborn child's life. Think about it.

??*Everyone Here Hates Me??* Zackraa may be famous one day Zackraa may be famous one day Zackraa's Avatar
    Thanks

They dont even touch the child the stem cells are in the umbilical cord

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna
    True. They can also get stem cells from the persons own bone marrow. I believe umbilical cord stem cells are the most usuable however. From what I understand thanks to umbilical stem cells the emergency concerning embrionic stem cell research is pretty much over, execpt for the specific scientists working on it.

I may be off on this but I get the impression that you have several teams all over the US working on this from different angles. Their funding is based on the angle they use. Since the embrionic stem cells funded by the federal government are becoming less usable those teams using that type of research are trying to get federal resrictions losened for funding.

FUNDING not legality. All they are prevented from doing is getting FEDERAL funding for new embrionic cells. There is no legal reason they can't get private funding for it, yet they can't seem to get it. I know there other researching teams using other methods who are being privatly funded. So it appears to me that the private sector has no confidence in it, won't fund it, so they're desperate for federal funding instead..
    The problem with umbilical cord stem cells is that they have already differentiated into Blood stem cells. This is great if you have to undergo radiation treatment that will destroy your bone marrow, but is not applicable for something like spinal cord repair, or Type 1 diabetes treatement. There are research teams that are attempting to convert Blood stem cells into embryonic stem cells, but no one knows if this is even possible...

As far as private funding goes, they same thing could have been said about the California Water Project, or the Hoover Dam... But to attract investment, there must be the potential for return on investment... The thing is, this is 'Fundamental' research... No one knows if this will result on a usable medical therapy, (just because there's promising results with rats and embryonic rat stem cells doesn't mean the experiments will be successful with humans...) and because of this, the investments are considered too risky for venture capitalist. The fear is, if foreign goverments make the investments in fundamental research, while the US relies on limited private capital, then the (potential) major discoveries (and their related medical patents...) will go to foreign countries, while the US medical industries go down the tubes... Because of the failure of the US govement to invest in fundamental stem cell research, and the overall 'politicalization' of science research under the Bush administration, California votors passed a state amendment to invest $3 Billion dollars in embryonic stem cell research. The problem is that the money is tied up in the courts by groups that are sore losers who don't agree with the election results...

Quote Originally Posted by Barronmore
    Just becuase the "greater good" is served does not mean that its morally right (this is true outside of this debate too). I oppose embryonic stem cell research because of it's destrutive nature to human life...especially considering the fact we can use stem cells that don't destroy the human life associated with them. Would you kill a living person if killing them COULD cure you of a desease or condition? If not, why would you support killing the unborn for the same cure?
    The proposed source of embryonic cells would come from left-over embryos produced for 'in-vitro' fertility treatments. Regardless of the results of the embryonic stem cell debate, these surplus embryos are 'flushed down the toliet' because it's not safe or practical to implant them once a successful pregnancy has been established. If using these embryos for embryonic stem cell research is murder, then wouldn't that imply that the entire fertility clinic industry is murder as well???
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

5.00 M33-6 solking may be famous one day solking may be famous one day solking's Avatar
    Thanks

I discovered the other day that more than 400,000 embyos are kept in storage. They are frozen and stored for fertility purposes and research. More than 80% of them are thrown away. I think it's great that they use them for something instead of throwing them away. At least something is being done with them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast