Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: SteroType

Rou
    Otaku Rou may be famous one day Rou may be famous one day
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowdeath
    "Time is only set for change"
    shadow, i'll give you a cookie and be your friend if you stop confusing me with your quotes.

Newbie BlueTigerFour may be famous one day BlueTigerFour may be famous one day
    Thanks
    I always find it interesting how people become attached to certain meanings of words. One bad experience with 'discrimination' or 'stereotyping' and suddenly these are scourges to be wiped from society. "Does a carpenter, upon striking a nail, and finding the nail to be faulty because it bends... lose faith in all nails?" People need to discriminate and stereotype to make sense of their world. But one word at a time. What would we do without discrimination? Oh, what a sad world it would be if we could not tell the difference between woman and man, or adult and child. And should i act the same around them all? How worthless such a world would make me feel! Forgive me, I digress in attempting to introduce my point. Back to stereotyping, ne? My mental processor would likely crash if i had to discriminate every itty bitty detail of everything. But if i can generalize, and say "These are the things i know. This group of things tends to act in this way, while this other group of things tends to act in this way, etc" my world makes more sense. That is of course, if my assumptions are based on my own, objective observation, and are open to revision if i find contrary evidence.

The stereotyping that everyone complains about is rather the generalized views of OTHERS imposed on an individual. Often, these imposed viewpoints are compounded among groups of individuals over generations, lending themselves to a sort of blind fanaticism. That is what is bad; that is what needs to go away.

Should we eliminate stereotyping? It can neither be done nor should it be. Rather, attempt to make your own decisions, and let others make their own decisions. Raise your children to have an open mind. Challenge people's assumptions so that they may not leave them set in stone. Most of all, carry yourself with dignity and people will respect you. And if you're a guy like me, grow a goatee and keep it well trimmed. That helps too.

Newbie ZerOraY may be famous one day ZerOraY may be famous one day
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueTigerFour
    Should we eliminate stereotyping? It can neither be done nor should it be. Rather, attempt to make your own decisions, and let others make their own decisions. Raise your children to have an open mind. Challenge people's assumptions so that they may not leave them set in stone. Most of all, carry yourself with dignity and people will respect you. And if you're a guy like me, grow a goatee and keep it well trimmed. That helps too.
    To all that should be said yes steriotying can not be eliminated. Steriotyping is prbabaly a basic fabic of the human mind. To be totaly ensured about ourselves we make "genirlaizations" of people to better ourselves or to try to solve our own curoisity. To be fair to me and my own words you and almost everybody wish for once maybe just once they won't be steriotyed for who they seem to be.

To who may be the one talking about the one that is being talked about for he is being told about the one that talking about him-Ray

Otaku shadowdeath may be famous one day shadowdeath may be famous one day shadowdeath's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rou
    shadow, i'll give you a cookie and be your friend if you stop confusing me with your quotes.
    "Your intellectual basis will become enlightened if you learn from the confusion"

Rou
    Otaku Rou may be famous one day Rou may be famous one day
    Thanks
    "Your intellectual basis will become enlightened if you learn from the confusion"
    but i'm already too dumb to understand it in the first place, how do i get smarter if i can't get smart enough to learn from the confusion? that's confusing...

Otaku shadowdeath may be famous one day shadowdeath may be famous one day shadowdeath's Avatar
    Thanks
    Hell ya it is... I dont have any quote that can subside that

Newbie Brilliant Brunette may be famous one day Brilliant Brunette may be famous one day Brilliant Brunette's Avatar
    Thanks
    You sound like a fortune cookie, that should have been your screen name fortune cookie.

Anyways, there is a good side to sterotyping. Because in some cases or a lot of cases, it's true. And it helps people see dangers and or threats. Granted sometimes people get you wrong, or only capture a sliver of your personality. But it happens, deal with it and put on a smile. So what if someone thinks your a stupid teeny bopper? Unless your trying to impress them, it doesn't really matter.

Thanks
    Damnit, I didnt intend on being labeled as "The Fortune Cookie"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast