Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Suing Others Becoming Spectator Sport

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks

Suing Others Becoming Spectator Sport

All I can say is that I was really speechless after I read this short article. While it was humorous in different ways, I was just shaking my head that these sort of things happened. The rest is up to you guys to decide.

Girls sued for delivering cookies
    Friday, February 4, 2005 Posted: 4:15 PM EST (2115 GMT)

DURANGO, Colorado (AP) -- Two teenage girls who surprised their neighbors with homemade cookies late one night were ordered to pay nearly $900 in medical bills for a woman who says she was so startled that she had to go to the hospital.

Judge Doug Walker declined Thursday to award punitive damages, saying he did not believe the girls acted maliciously.

Taylor Ostergaard, 17, and Lindsey Jo Zellitti, 18, baked the chocolate chip and sugar cookies one night last July.

They made packages with a half-dozen cookies each and added large red or pink construction-paper hearts that carried the message, "Have a great night."

The notes were signed with their first initials: "Love, The T and L Club."

Then they set off to make their deliveries.

Wanita Renea Young, 49, said she was at her rural home south of Durango around 10:30 p.m. when she said saw "shadowy figures" outside the house banging repeatedly on her door.

She yelled, "Who's there?" but no one answered, and the figures ran away.

Frightened, she spent the night at her sister's home, then went to the hospital the next morning because she was still shaking and had an upset stomach.

The teenagers' families offered to pay Young's medical bills, but she declined and sued, saying their apologies were not sincere and were not offered in person.

The girls declined comment after the ruling. Taylor's mother said the girl "cried and cried."

"She felt she was being punished for doing something nice," Jill Ostergaard said.

Young said the teenagers showed "very poor judgment"

"The victory wasn't sweet," Young said. "I'm not gloating about it. I just hope the girls learned a lesson."

The teens said they did not answer when the woman called out because they wanted the treats to be a surprise.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Copyright 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
    Not sure if i should put the copyrighted stuff, but I did it just to protect myself..

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks
    For once a judge with a brain!! Im glad he wasnt stupid enough to award that money grubbing Bit** with any punitive damages!!

Otaku Juice may be famous one day Juice may be famous one day Juice's Avatar
    Thanks
    There are very few things i truely hate in this world, but one of them is complete friggin idiots, or selfish, coldhearted old people. That old lady is a flippin moron, first of all i doubt she really saw "two shadowy figures" even if they were shadowy you could still be able to tell if they had feminin figures or girlish hair or something, and second if they ran away why the heck sould she be scared, they're gone, they ran, use your head and think of more then one reason why they'd go to the door and leave, duh gee mb they left something on the door step, idiot. I also doubt that they were "banging repeatedly on the door" sure they nocked once and left the cookies and ran, if your surprising somebody you dont nock more then once. And why did she need to go to the hospital for that, cmon shaking and upset stomach, a mom wouldn't even let a kid stay home from school for that, argh i hate crap like this, stupid lady!! argghhhhh!!

I think she is just a lonely old moron trying to exploit the law at the expense of another, anothers kind heart is what makes it even more coldhearted. I truely turely hate people like that.
    Last edited by Juice; Feb 05, 2005 at 06:21 PM.

Talk less, Say More. Eat Less, Chew More. Whine Less, Breath More. Fear Less, Hope More. Hate Less, Love More.
    And all good things are yours

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Juice
    There are very few things i truely hate in this world, but one of them is complete friggin idiots, or selfish, coldhearted old people. That old lady is a flippin moron, first of all i doubt she really saw "two shadowy figures" even if they were shadowy you could still be able to tell if they had feminin figures or girlish hair or something, and second if they ran away why the heck sould she be scared, they're gone, they ran, use your head and think of more then one reason why they'd go to the door and leave, duh gee mb they left something on the door step, idiot. I also doubt that they were "banging repeatedly on the door" sure they nocked once and left the cookies and ran, if your surprising somebody you dont nock more then once. And why did she need to go to the hospital for that, cmon shaking and upset stomach, a mom wouldn't even let a kid stay home from school for that, argh i hate crap like this, stupid lady!! argghhhhh!!

I think she is just a lonely old moron trying to exploit the law at the expense of another, anothers kind heart is what makes it even more coldhearted. I truely turely hate people like that.
    Old lady....lol 49 is not that old!!! Dont tell your mom that!!

Cheetos Overlord jaderabbit may be famous one day jaderabbit may be famous one day jaderabbit's Avatar
    Thanks
    An yet another flaw in the system

hope the girls learned a lesson o.O?
    Really what the crap.... giving cookies to people?... yeah that's a crime.
    -Just another green eyed angel, distorted by mans love for hate-
    |THE INFAMOUS CHEETOS OVERLORD||IceNineKills|

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks
    oooo, I thing I wanna add...IF YOURE SO FREAKIN' SCARED....CALL THE F-ING COPS!!

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

Well, it looks like these girls won't need to pay a single penny of the fine, plus they got their fifteen minutes of fame to boot.....
    http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_np=...&u_sid=1329615

And with copyrighted material, it's better to provide a web link to the original article. DON'T CUT AND PASTE COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL!!!
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LenMiyata
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

Well, it looks like these girls won't need to pay a single penny of the fine, plus they got their fifteen minutes of fame to boot.....
    http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_np=...&u_sid=1329615

And with copyrighted material, it's better to provide a web link to the original article. DON'T CUT AND PASTE COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL!!!
    well I didn't think the girls did it because they want to be famous, but hearing that ppl want to help is kind of cool

and as the copyrighted material advice, THANK YOU *BOWS*

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast