Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Super Nova

PiNk HaIr FaNaTiC Boo45 may be famous one day Boo45 may be famous one day Boo45's Avatar
    Thanks

The Super Nova

Though this may be jus my uneducated ignorance or it could be something that will actually happen..though anyway...

Was thinking about this subject and me and my friend were debating over it sorta based on our knowledge...and im sure somebody here has heard of the sun getting towards its time and soon to explode in a couple million years or something like that....anyway..was thinking that..what if human race survived that long to see the actual happening of a Super Nova...may sound wierd but i remember hearing that the sun will continue to grow and soon engulf the first planet and then on to the other ones until it explodes...though what if the sun grew large enough to burn the earth? I mean..the earth would slowly be melted away and get pretty much absorbed into the sun right?

Another question....what happens if the above situation doesnt occur and the super nova happens earlier than expected..i hear alot about how when a star explodes and leaves behind a Black Hole or something like that...would our galexy jus get completely sucked right into it? Or will something else happen? What are ur thoughts on what would happen? (I find that science is something i seem to be interested in other than anime..its really fun to talk about )

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

With the current scientific theories of star development, our sun is far too small to become a 'Super Nova'. Under current theories, as the sun starts to out of hydrogen, it will swell into a 'Red Giant' star that would expand as far as the orbit of Mars, vaporizing all the inner planets. When all the hydrogen is exhausted, the sun will slough off it's outer layers, leaving only the core, a 'White Dwarf' star...

As far as 'Black Holes' goes, they won't 'suck' in everything, just like everything doesn't 'fall' into stars. Black Holes act just like stars, except more concentrated, and most of the 'stuff' will continue to orbit around them... There is building scientific evidence that there is a 'Super Massive' Black Hole at the core of our Galaxy. Everything in the Galaxy orbits around this Black Hole...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Strange Times Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark.'s Avatar
    Thanks
    yeah, our sun is considered a young star, might be closer to billions of years before it runs out, hopefully enough time for humans to be able to travel even farther than mars. Hopefully...

M A S T E R Zui Quan may be famous one day Zui Quan may be famous one day Zui Quan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Boo45
    Though this may be jus my uneducated ignorance or it could be something that will actually happen..though anyway...

Was thinking about this subject and me and my friend were debating over it sorta based on our knowledge...and im sure somebody here has heard of the sun getting towards its time and soon to explode in a couple million years or something like that....

It's more like five billion years of hydrgen left. Our star is quite young on the interstellar time scale. And at five billion years left humanity will have long since either have evolved, have become extinct or have abandoned Earth.

Len's assessment of the situation is pretty much dead on. The sun will use up all it's hydrogen at some point and then the helium will start fusing into heavier atoms like beryllium, carbon, boron, and nitrogen and the sun will expand into a red giant. Once the helium is used up the heavier atoms will start fusing. Once the fusion process reaches products with atomic masses in the 50's (iron, cobalt, nickel, copper, etc.) the resulting elements will be too heavy to undergo fusion and the star will collapse in on itself to form a dwarf star.

On a side note, there is a most excellent book by Arthur C. Clarke called Songs of Distant Earth that deals with the sun going nova in a little more than a millenium and what the humans of earth do as a result. I highly recommend the book.
    Clan? What Clan?
    I'm the Master. I need no Clan.

Strange Times Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark.'s Avatar
    Thanks
    sounds like an interesting book, but yeah, the star's suppose to explode billions of years from now, and if Zui's 5 billion is correct, the earth would be double its age that it is now. and we'll be either all dead, or moved to some other planet. My guess we'll be dead, but since it's awhile from now, I'm really not concerned.

Otaku Tithe may be famous one day Tithe may be famous one day Tithe's Avatar
    Thanks
    YAY the world will soon come to a end woot!...Jk..not really...I'm really into astrology and I agree with Lenmiyata...but besides that I only really think about getting overpopulated and other galaxys'...where whould we go if anything happend that was drastic enough that the world would not recover?
    A deathless heart alive with greif
    Smiles when it hears of thee
    Whisper now my secret love
    Kiss my lips and rise above

PiNk HaIr FaNaTiC Boo45 may be famous one day Boo45 may be famous one day Boo45's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LenMiyata
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

With the current scientific theories of star development, our sun is far too small to become a 'Super Nova'. Under current theories, as the sun starts to out of hydrogen, it will swell into a 'Red Giant' star that would expand as far as the orbit of Mars, vaporizing all the inner planets. When all the hydrogen is exhausted, the sun will slough off it's outer layers, leaving only the core, a 'White Dwarf' star...

As far as 'Black Holes' goes, they won't 'suck' in everything, just like everything doesn't 'fall' into stars. Black Holes act just like stars, except more concentrated, and most of the 'stuff' will continue to orbit around them... There is building scientific evidence that there is a 'Super Massive' Black Hole at the core of our Galaxy. Everything in the Galaxy orbits around this Black Hole...
    Coolio!....Though i hate to admit it...i think learning is somewhat fun and enjoying when its not forced onto u...but neway...sounds interesting....that leads to another interesting question..will the inner planets reform? And since its a red dwarf and all...when it turns into a "white dwarf"...does that mean that we will be having a brighter/dimmer source of light?
    Last edited by Boo45; Mar 27, 2005 at 06:17 PM.

M A S T E R Zui Quan may be famous one day Zui Quan may be famous one day Zui Quan's Avatar
    Thanks
    When our sun becomes a Red Giant, all the inner planets will be totally consumed. There won't be any reforming because there won't be any material around.

If you like to see a red giant star today, check out the star Betelgeuse in the Orion constellation. If you look carefully you can see that the star is red even from our distance.
    Clan? What Clan?
    I'm the Master. I need no Clan.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast