Thread: SuSE LinuX and Encrypted Wi/Fi...

Lost in the ethernet dragonrider2004 may be famous one day dragonrider2004 may be famous one day dragonrider2004's Avatar
    Thanks

SuSE LinuX and Encrypted Wi/Fi...

i just installed SuSE LinuX Enterprise Server 9 on my laptop. it correctly ID's my Wi/Fi card (NETGEAR 802.11b 11Mbps Wireless PC card, 16-bit PCMCIA Model MA401) but i can't figure out how to access an encrypted Wi/Fi network.

for the sake of the argument the ESID is DarkStar and the WEP key is 1d-2e9a-f8e2 (not the real settings, security you know) all other network settings unknown (i don't maintain the access point and i never needed more than that to access it under XP w/ SP2)

in windows it was easy as pie to set this up. but i can't figure it out for SuSE LinuX...... i did a search online but i couldn't understand half of what came back and the half i understood just confused me more...

can anyone help?! anyone?

Student: "Umm sensei, the question on the board is wrong."
    Teacher "SHAAAADD UP!"

Newbie JEEB may be famous one day JEEB may be famous one day JEEB's Avatar
    Thanks
    Have you tested the Wireless tools [link]? If you have, try looking into the info when you boot up the drivers command by command, which might help you if you notice any errors. Then there's the Linux Wireless LAN FAQ/How-to/something [link] (scroll down until you section 10 "Wireless configuration") and a Linux Documentation Project exist [here].

So basically you have to configure your card correctly and then it'll work as easily as in WinXP. It's just that the configuration isn't as easily seeable as in WinXP. Iwconfig and Ifconfig are t3h tools for that.

Hope I helped.
    人生フゥ~!!!

Lost in the ethernet dragonrider2004 may be famous one day dragonrider2004 may be famous one day dragonrider2004's Avatar
    Thanks
    my thanks jeeb. that eventually fixed it. i had my securuty modes whrong. that was what the problem was. the security mode was not 'open' but 'managed'

at any rate
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonRider of we-love-anime forums
    questions for Blade or another linux guru.

kernel trouble. or atleast annoyance.......

now that i got everything set up the way i want it (almost, i still have to connect to the network printer, but thats comming. and i can't play midi files either........) i want to fix a problem that has been bugging me for some time......

when i use te original kernel that came with my distro (slackware 10.1 not my laptop(which is runnins SuSE, diff machine) i use console color 128x48
    Code:
    Linux version 2.4.29 (root@DarkStar1) (gcc version 3.3.4) #7 Sun May 29 13:23:04 EDT 2005
    blah blah blah (stuff about the CPU and PCI slots)
    Console: switching to colour frame buffer device 128x48
    blah blah blah (the rest of dmesg)
    but when i use the new kernel i use console: color VGA+ 80x25 (which looks really crappy on my LCD monitor. it keeps the text size the same and shrinks the display area)
    Code:
    Linux version 2.6.11.10 (root@DarkStar1) (gcc version 3.3.4) #7 Sun May 29 13:33:18 EDT 2005
    blah blah blah (stuff about the BIOS and ACPI)
    Console: colour VGA+ 80x25
    blah blah blah (rest of dmesg)
    how can i get kernel 2.6.11.10 to use console: colour VGA+ 128x48?

do you know?

(complete dmesg segments availabe:
    http://ctech.smccme.edu/~libbyp/linux/dmesg1.txt sorry, [slightly truncated due to a memory issue bug with the dmesg command]
    http://ctech.smccme.edu/~libbyp/linux/dmesg2.txt
    )

Teacher "SHAAAADD UP!"

Newbie JEEB may be famous one day JEEB may be famous one day JEEB's Avatar
    Thanks
    Umm, searched the net about changing the resolution of the console (not X based).

Here's the result [clickie]. There are ways to change the resolution of the console (VGA=ask, SVGATextMode and Framebuffer console), although I don't know if it's directly related to your problem (although that framebuffer part looks like the old kernel was using a framebuffer mode from the beginning, but the new one doesn't). Give the linked guide a try and inform me of what happens.
    人生フゥ~!!!

Thanks
    i shall! thankies!

Teacher "SHAAAADD UP!"