Thread: Tablet or Tablet pc?

Veteran False Truth is making a name for themselves False Truth is making a name for themselves False Truth's Avatar
    Thanks

Tablet or Tablet pc?

I'm going to college soon and I was wondering whether I should by a pc with a separate tablet or a full tablet pc. The thing is, I want to have what's best for photoshop use. But if I do get a tablet pc, I want it to do things other pc's can, which it probably can't. Even though a regular tablet isn't a part of the screen, it can still do what a tablet pc does, just to a different degree. So which one do you guys recommend I buy?

This signature is within the limits upheld by the forum rules. Unless the rules change, do not remove.

Otaku Mana may be famous one day Mana may be famous one day Mana's Avatar
    Thanks
    I was considering purchasing a Tablet PC and still sort of am. Right now though I have a Wacom Intuos 2 9x12. I'm not trying to make it look like the tablet isn't satisfying my needs or anything(it's wonderful and I couldn't live without it), but if you're on the go, travel, or just like to take it with you with ease for convenience a Tablet PC is essentially more appropriate. A smaller tablet is also an option if that's the case.

Are you still in limbo over it because of the pen-on-screen ability or are there other reasons?

EDIT: Wait you just said you wanted it to still have the capabilities of a regular pc. My bad. lol

Yeah and that's same for me. Except I'm deciding between a better pc or a Tablet PC.
    Last edited by Mana; Apr 30, 2005 at 03:03 PM.
    "so i herd u liek mudkips"

Veteran False Truth is making a name for themselves False Truth is making a name for themselves False Truth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Well, I wont be traveling(I'll be in college) so the computer will be in my dorm room.

This signature is within the limits upheld by the forum rules. Unless the rules change, do not remove.

Otaku Mana may be famous one day Mana may be famous one day Mana's Avatar
    Thanks
    So I guess the only problem with deciding is for the pen ability? I would probably buy a regular tablet. Thinking that you've never tried using a tablet for long term(maybe you have I dunno XP), it does seem that a Tablet pc's direct on screen action would seem easier. I myself haven't had that much experience with a Tablet pc, but it was pretty awesome. If you've ever used a stylus you'd get what I'm saying.

What I was originally trying to get at is a regular tablet works just as well and maybe for some people if not better. Can't really go wrong with either one of them if you're financially set and have tried both to see what you're more comfortable with.

You should make a pros and cons list or something to help maybe? XD
    "so i herd u liek mudkips"

Thanks
    I've never used a tablet before.
    The only con I can think of for the tablet is that it isn't a part of the screen.
    The only con I can think of for the tablet pc is that I'm not sure it can do all a regular pc could, for instance, play pc games. I don't know about you, but I've never heard anyone play half life 2 on a tablet pc.

Otaku sukotsu9 may be famous one day sukotsu9 may be famous one day sukotsu9's Avatar
    Thanks
    A tablet PC can totally do what a regular computer can, but you have to have it customized (peripherals via USB, video card, RAM, etc). Think of a tablet PC like a laptop without a keyboard. They can be pretty slick, but the screen does seem to heat up sometimes. And they're often WAY more expensive than a laptop or PC, but I don't know what a pen-tablet/scanner runs (digitizers used to be really expensive). Panasonic & fujitsu aren't cheap; I've used Motion Computing tablets before, they're not heavy duty resistant, but if you're careful, they're great. Very responsive screen.

Kinda depends exactly how much you think you'll use the stylus interface. Otherwise, a standard PC with a tablet may be more practical.