Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: The taste of salt:

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks
    Yes ma'am, that is my answer...

In order to describe something to someone, that person must have knowledge of other things...do allow me to use another example. Like the dictionary, a word is only defined by other words. So without the knowledge of other words it would be hard to understand any words.

So in this case does the person who wants to know "salt" knows other tastes similar to salt.

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pyoro-pyoro
    Yes ma'am, that is my answer...

In order to describe something to someone, that person must have knowledge of other things...do allow me to use another example. Like the dictionary, a word is only defined by other words. So without the knowledge of other words it would be hard to understand any words.

So in this case does the person who wants to know "salt" knows other tastes similar to salt.
    Ohhhh.. good question. Are there tastes similar to salt? As far as I know it is a unique flavor. Something is either salty or it isn't. I believe it has to do with how our tastebuds work.

I don't believe there are other words or frameworks you can use in this case. There are no other tastes that can be used to define the taste.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Otaku Electrastar may be famous one day Electrastar may be famous one day Electrastar's Avatar
    Thanks
    Lemme try.
    Salt adds a flavor to your food that's the opposite of sugary. It's not sour.....euuh...don't know if that qualifies or not...it is hard indeed.

Newbie E=mc² may be famous one day E=mc² may be famous one day
    Thanks
    Salt is a mineral needed for the human's body. Sodium chloride (ph less then 7) is fund when you sweat and also on your urine.

Lick arms after doing sports, its the same taste, just the odor change.
    Too much salt is bad for your kidney.
    Last edited by E=mc²; Mar 14, 2005 at 06:53 PM.

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks
    Grumble Grumble Grumble
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna
    The point is are there experiences that cannot be described?
    I take it your answer is yes?
    You can say the same thing with any of the basic human senses. For taste, (sweet, salt, sour, bitter), smell (Fruity), sight (brightness, darkness), etc...

In truth, you can only describe an experiance in terms of comparisons with past experiance. (That is, until biochemist can describe in detail the biochemical and neural reactions that result in a sensory response).

There are other experiences that are common enough to be covered by standard terms, such as intuition ('That gut feeling'...) and Deja Vu

And then you have abstract concepts, like 'What is the sound of one hand clapping', or a more modern translation, 'If it was possible to clap with one hand, what would be the characteristics of it's sound?' Then you have mathematical concepts such as 'infinity' and 'the square root of negative 1' which by definitions, can't exist, but are used everyday in engineering calculations...

Now something that can't be described would be a DEATH experiance. (So far, we only have NEAR DEATH descriptions, but no recent and documented case of a person describing a TRUE DEATH experiance)
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Newbie neko boso may be famous one day neko boso may be famous one day neko boso's Avatar
    Thanks
    salt is like a flavor enhansor for your food and its good for pretsels ^_^
    one by one the penguins steal my sanity

Newbie BBoyPHoeNiX1337 may be famous one day BBoyPHoeNiX1337 may be famous one day BBoyPHoeNiX1337's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by neko boso
    salt is like a flavor enhansor for your food and its good for pretsels ^_^
    At the very least, TRY to add to the debate....

As far as salt goes, even within itself, the taste can be different. Ever try bamboo salt? It's still "salty" but the flavor is not that of sea salt. As far as describing it in words go, even trying to say the difference between sea and bamboo salt is merely saying that it is different, beyond that, I can find no other words. It's interesting really, how the body works, and how it can taste "salt".

It's true, many things in life can only truly be understood by experiencing it. Who can truly describe the rugged beauty of the Grand Canyon at dusk, without actually experiencing it? And even within this, how can one be sure that the experience (though two people went through it all), would truly experience identical thing? The idea of perspectives weighs in heavily when attempting to describe.

Well, it's like 6:30 am and I have not had any sleep, so if my input sounds very off, please bear with me... After I get some sleep, I'll better be able to debate with everyone...
    ~|*BBoy|*|PHoeNiX*|~
    Unless I grip the sword, I can not protect you. While gripping the sword, I can not embrace you.

Otaku Vaines may be famous one day Vaines may be famous one day Vaines's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pyoro-pyoro
    So without the knowledge of other words it would be hard to understand any words.
    Then what do you think about babies learning their first words?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast