Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: The taste of salt:

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks
    Well, then lets move away from physical experiences.

How about the concept of Love. Can it be described in such a way that someone will know exactly what you're talking about or would they just think they did. Is it completely subjective or is it difinitive?

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Newbie berryhot may be famous one day berryhot may be famous one day berryhot's Avatar
    Thanks
    I think when it comes to something like the concept of love... it is more subjective. I have often tried to explain what I believe love is to people... the best I come out with i s that love is like a rollercoaster, you sometimes start out wary, some points are slow...other fast... it will throw u for a loop once in a while and in the end....u laugh ur head off (assuming it is a good love). Lol probably doesnt make much sense

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna
    Well, then lets move away from physical experiences.

How about the concept of Love. Can it be described in such a way that someone will know exactly what you're talking about or would they just think they did. Is it completely subjective or is it difinitive?
    when your wallet starts feeling light...

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pyoro-pyoro
    when your wallet starts feeling light...
    lol. I'm not sure, is that definitive or subjective?

[Deleted: because of pointlessness, and well, darn it, it just wasn't that important.]
    Last edited by Arrianna; Mar 17, 2005 at 09:16 AM.

Thanks
    I figure it's time to get to the main point and my question.

Everyone seems to agree that experiences of all kinds are subjective.

Quote Originally Posted by Kikieru
    how do you know exactly what de ja vu is, people say they`ve experienced this but is each experience the same ?
    Quote Originally Posted by pyoro-pyoro
    In order to describe something to someone, that person must have knowledge of other things...do allow me to use another example. Like the dictionary, a word is only defined by other words. So without the knowledge of other words it would be hard to understand any words.
    Quote Originally Posted by LenMiyata
    In truth, you can only describe an experiance in terms of comparisons with past experiance. (That is, until biochemist can describe in detail the biochemical and neural reactions that result in a sensory response).

There are other experiences that are common enough to be covered by standard terms, such as intuition ('That gut feeling'...) and Deja Vu
    Quote Originally Posted by BBoyPHoeNiX1337
    It's true, many things in life can only truly be understood by experiencing it. Who can truly describe the rugged beauty of the Grand Canyon at dusk, without actually experiencing it? And even within this, how can one be sure that the experience (though two people went through it all), would truly experience identical thing? The idea of perspectives weighs in heavily when attempting to describe.
    Quote Originally Posted by berryhot
    I think when it comes to something like the concept of love... it is more subjective. I have often tried to explain what I believe love is to people... the best I come out with i s that love is like a rollercoaster, you sometimes start out wary, some points are slow...other fast... it will throw u for a loop once in a while and in the end....u laugh ur head off (assuming it is a good love). Lol probably doesnt make much sense
    So why is it that people are unwilling to believe something based on someone elses experience just because they don't have a frame of reference for it?

An extream example is people I have met who refuse to believe in the Holocaust just because they can't concieve of someone doing something so awful. never mind that their are people who are still alive that survived it or the video recordings of the camps and bulldozers pushing thousands of bodies into mass graves.

Or for a more personal example, what about those who refuse to believe that a person can be abusive because "no-one would do that". I had a roommate in college that refused to believe that someone she worked with abused his step-sons because he seemed so nice. Never mind that I knew one of them or that another roommate had been through similar experiences.

Anyone?

I personally find myself baffled by it but unwilling to dissillusion then. It would be nice to think the world is such a nice place.

Otaku whitec may be famous one day whitec may be famous one day whitec's Avatar
    Thanks
    To restate my tastes. how can i put it... it gives a feeling of licking concrete
    on a highway taking a chunk of it and putiing it on a pretzel and eat away.
    Looking forward to Burst Angel Vol. 3

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks
    Grumble Grumble Grumble
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna
    So why is it that people are unwilling to believe something based on someone elses experience just because they don't have a frame of reference for it?

An extream example is people I have met who refuse to believe in the Holocaust just because they can't concieve of someone doing something so awful. never mind that their are people who are still alive that survived it or the video recordings of the camps and bulldozers pushing thousands of bodies into mass graves.

Or for a more personal example, what about those who refuse to believe that a person can be abusive because "no-one would do that". I had a roommate in college that refused to believe that someone she worked with abused his step-sons because he seemed so nice. Never mind that I knew one of them or that another roommate had been through similar experiences.

Anyone?

I personally find myself baffled by it but unwilling to dissillusion then. It would be nice to think the world is such a nice place.
    This phenomena is commone enough that their's a standardized term for it...
    Main Entry:cognitive dissonance
    Function:noun
    Date:1957

: psychological conflict resulting from incongruous beliefs and attitudes held simultaneously
    Or describing in less technical terms, the condition where a person ignores data and information because they don't agree with their personal experiences, beliefs, and conceptions of the Universe. Since you can only judge information by comparing it against past experience, training & education, and cultural upbringing, it's not surprising that cognative dissonance does occur...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Materials Master KnightofNi may be famous one day KnightofNi may be famous one day KnightofNi's Avatar
    Thanks
    back on topic, I think the taste of salt would be an almost sweet, like sugary taste I think, although since it is Sodium Chloride, you would not want to eat alot of it, considering it dehydrates the body and you would die from lack of water, your blood cells would dry up. You know, Sodium Chloride is one of the most fascinating compounds like alot of ionic compounds, can conduct electricy in water, you can dope it in order to make a semiconductor, its some pretty sweet shit. Plus, it has face centered cubic packing, thats pretty incredible.

Clan orders: Wear the signature of defeat with pride.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast