Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: teen titans?

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by False Truth
    Could someone define what anime is? Also define what american anime is? I need to know the exact differences and why american anime doesnt fall in the whole anime category. And also tell me what teen titans is if it's not anime? What would it be called then?
    Well according to Wikipedia:
    Anime is Japanese animation, often characterized by stylized colorful graphics depicting vibrant characters in a variety of different settings and storylines, aimed at a variety of different audiences... Internationally, anime once bore the popular name Japanimation, but this term has fallen into disuse. It saw the most usage during the 1970s and 1980s, which broadly comprise the first and second waves of anime fandom. The term survived at least into the early 1990s but seemed to fade away shortly before the mid-1990s anime resurgence. In general, the term now only appears in nostalgic contexts. The term Japanimation is much more commonly used in Japan to refer to domestic animation. Since anime or animeshon is used to describe all forms of animation, Japanimation is meant to distinguish Japanese work from that of the rest of the world..
    There is no such thing definitivly as "American Anime" there is just animation. The real question is whether it is "anime" or an "animated cartoon".
    Animated cartoons are usually shown on television or cinema screens and are created by drawing thousands of individual drawings which are shown rapidly in succession to give the impression of movement. In this meaning, the word cartoon is often shortened to toon, which may be a corruption of Looney Tunes. Toon was popularized in the movie Who Framed Roger Rabbit?. Toons are often anthropomorphized animals used in non-serious fiction. It is not generally used to in reference to anime characters. A major distinction between the two is the squash and stretch mannerism of American cartoon characters.
    Based on that I would have to say that Teen Titans is anime but it is not "Japanimation", (a domestic japanese production).

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Newbie Psy2004 may be famous one day Psy2004 may be famous one day Psy2004's Avatar
    Thanks
    i'd say it is an anime but a really weird one at that !!!

but then again that is a PERSONAL opinon so i could be "proper anime"
    Last edited by Psy2004; Jan 03, 2005 at 01:47 PM.

Newbie zerosconcubine may be famous one day zerosconcubine may be famous one day zerosconcubine's Avatar
    Thanks

I will probaly get flamed for this..But God!

I'd love to get into a heated debate about how "ANIME IS ALL FORMS OF ANIME", but seeing as I am tired, and I really hate repeating myself, I am only going to reply to the posts I found the most annoying. I would also like to note, it is topics like this that make Anime fans so appauling. So if you want to make a possitive image of our fandom, I sudgest you just let things like this lie. Our opinion will not change other actions. In fact, it will just make the companies do it more.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....!!!
    Its people like this that make me ashamed to be an anime fan. Just because something is from Japan, doesn't mean its is "GODLY". You wonder why so many people dislike anime.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I say that anime has stories you'd see more often in movies and not cartoons and that US anime is non-story driven cartoons with anime style in the art therefore teen titans is not anime it is just is drawn similar to it.
    Really? So your telling me that Super Milk Chan has a deep emotional on going story? Last time I checked it was just as random as any american anime. Oh! And I suppose Excel Saga was story driven as well? It had some story points, but everything was just random gags. See, not all J-anime has a "EPIC" tale. That is just a general sterotype made up by crazed fans.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think we need to leave the Anime up to the Japanese.
    Although I am tired of seeing the traditional American animation get replaced by the so called "WANNABE J-ANIME", I do enjoy some of the shows; Totaly Spies, W.I.T.C.H, Megas XLR, Teen Titans, the list goes on. Anime is a medium, meaning it is contains various artstyles, so people can use it. Its not our choice to say people can or can't explore with it; its is an opinion.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, I would also like to note that The Wikki Pedia is made by members of the community,meaning that some of definations are one sided opinions. I have also heard WIKKI was the big brother to dictionary.com, and that just shows my point even further. Seeing as Dictionary.com defines anime as "Scifi animation from Japan that contain alot of violence, blood, and Sex acts".

*This bottom part is not ment for Arrianna & others who backed up their opinion, with actual fact*

So, you otakus can still live in your deluded fantasy world, but in reality there is no difference. Anime=Cartoons; Anime=All forms of animation. If you still doubt me, why not ask a Japanese person? They will say the same damn thing. Get over it!
    Last edited by zerosconcubine; Jan 03, 2005 at 03:34 PM.
    JOURNAL|SHEZZYART|ROCKDUB

Wallow in my pain
    I swallow as I pretend
    To act like I'm happy

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks
    Good points zerosconcubine.

So I checked 5 other Encyclopedias. According to them Animation is a type of film/movie/etc that began with the animated cartoon. A Cartoon is defined as a short humorous animation, usually 10 minutes or less. From there it evolved and spread around the world to France and eventually Japan. There are many techniques of animation from cell animation, to claymation, to computer animation. Japanese animation eventually made it's way back to the states (an obvious statement on this board) where it changed the style and type of the domestic product. Anime is a word used worldwide to describe any animation created in Japan.

I do believe Wikipedia's comment on Japanimation had to do with anime's label in Japan. I have heard from other sources (people who have lived in Japan) that in Japan "Anime" just means "animation" and they use it to describe anything animated no matter where it is from. That would explain the entry:
    The term Japanimation is much more commonly used in Japan to refer to domestic animation. Since anime or animeshon is used to describe all forms of animation, Japanimation is meant to distinguish Japanese work from that of the rest of the world..
    So I guess whether Teen Titans is an anime will depend on which definition you are using and whether or not it is actually made in Japan. If it is, it is technically anime even if it was commisioned by a company in the states. I have been unnable to find the location of the actual animation however, only that it has been outsourced to "asian artists".

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Otaku ryke12 may be famous one day ryke12 may be famous one day
    Thanks
    This is one of those funny threads/points where you either look at the literal definition, or you look at the "spirit" of anime.
    I mean, face it, the literal definition is that ALL anime come from Japan. It's just that cut-and-dry. There is no "gray area" for the literal definition of Japan. The only POSSIBLE way you could have an "undecided" area for literal anime is if you have NO IDEA where it comes from.
    Then there's the "Spirit of Anime" idea, and that is really ambiguous, and could be argued over for hours on end. The idea of this is simply: well, it "feels" like anime, so it is anime. As to where the original definition of anime comes from, there is no answer.
    I personally really don't think it MATTERS whether or not it counts as anime. I mean, what are you gonna do if it's decided Teen Titans is anime? Shout and throw stuff in the air? There's no real point in this... granted, many threads have no point, but this one was made with a point IN MIND, and in the end, it comes up empty-handed.
    Maybe I'll come up eith a sig soon... until then, be patient.

Angsty Goth Teenager SamuraiDude128 may be famous one day SamuraiDude128 may be famous one day SamuraiDude128's Avatar
    Thanks
    I've always called Teen Titans an anime. When they get ticked at another guy they usually show it really well unlike some cartoons.

The Antagonist Eriadd may be famous one day Eriadd may be famous one day
    Thanks
    Nay! I still say nay! It wants to be anime, it tries to be anime, but it's not anime. Nor will it be. Ever.

Otaku Nightwish may be famous one day Nightwish may be famous one day Nightwish's Avatar
    Thanks
    i can tell this is a very pressing issue. i believe it should be a poll or something. then we can find out for sure what everyoen thinks.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast