Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: There, They're and their

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark.
    I will not make a fool of myself to speak my stand. Everyone here is at or over 13, therefore, if they didn't figure it out in school by now, chances are they don't care or will never figure it out. And even then, there will always be mistakes.

There, I'm done. Say what you want, this thread IS worthless.
    Not everyone learns English in school Dark.

Quote Originally Posted by Slothrop
    Me either, to be honest.
    Heh, this place is slowly rebuilding the glory of the previous AO, having people like you around certainly helps.

jao
    Otaku jao may be famous one day jao may be famous one day
    Thanks
    I like how everyone just takes things a step further. :P

When it comes to wording you can at least try to make sense. The use of periods, commas etc isn't really taught in school. At least it wasn't until I reached grade 12 and still they didn't do much with it and for good reason.

Instead of using the lpush room I should have used opinions and debate because without the topic being up for 10 minutes I've gotten opinions and debate...

Perhaps I should ask if anyone feels that the focus on communication, especially when it comes to writing letters, enteries etc, is completely worhtless because the population appearently doesn't care how they communicate as long as they're blunt and have enough structure that it can be understood remotely?

Perhaps we should be removing a lot of this 'flashy' grammer since it scares so many of us.

jao
    Thanks
    Me either, to be honest.
    Thanks.

Anyway, the point of this thread, as I see it, isn't to be fascist and force everyone spell correctly in proper English (neighbour, colour, ect.), but rather to educate those that may not actually know the difference.

Thank you.

I'm glad someone actually read and 'understood' the post instead of just slashing it.

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks
    To tell you the truth I cannot imagine anybody not knowing those facts and is here at AO. Unless they haven't learned it yet but still, I think some folks are doing it deliberately out of convience(wonder if I spelled that right) and quickness.

Preaching to the choir man.

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

M A S T E R Zui Quan may be famous one day Zui Quan may be famous one day Zui Quan's Avatar
    Thanks
    jao, you're making a valid point here, and I'm glad to see that someone in the regular membership is addressing the issue. It drives me spare to see people butcher such simple rules of spelling and grammar.

I'm moving this thread to the opinion/debate area so that we can have a healthy discussion on the subject of spelling and grammar is writing.

And Dark, in the real, adult world you are judged daily by how well you write. Whether or not you can use "there," " their," and "they're" properly could mean the difference between a good job with good pay and spending the rest of your life in your parents' basement complaining about your job at the local car wash. So, how much rent will your parents be charging you?
    Clan? What Clan?
    I'm the Master. I need no Clan.

Otaku Slothrop may be famous one day Slothrop may be famous one day Slothrop's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pyoro-pyoro
    To tell you the truth I cannot imagine anybody not knowing those facts and is here at AO. Unless they haven't learned it yet but still, I think some folks are doing it deliberately out of convience(wonder if I spelled that right) and quickness.

Preaching to the choir man.
    Not everyone here is a native English speaker, to some, it may seem as though there is no difference—mainly due to the identical pronunciation. We aren't just dealing with American viewers here. Remember, anime is an international phenomenon.

I certainly would hope that somebody would point out the fact I was using the wrong word, were I posting in a mainly German (or Spanish, or Japanese, ect.) forum.
    Last edited by Slothrop; Feb 17, 2005 at 10:17 AM.

jao
    Thanks
    Well, since it is now opinion and debate I'll expand on some things to consider:

In the case of a simple online fourm, most people don't feel there is any harm in cutting corners with spelling and grammar but with a lot more people spending hours in chat rooms, messages boards and the likes are we not somehow indirectly altering the way we communicate with English so when they go out into the world and communicate (all together), things with grammar etc start fading out.

If you think of the history of English is our current path really so bad? For example English has a fair amount of rules when it comes how it is used to communicate. By removing or changing those so that only the roots to the message are being presented are we not evolving the language?

I'm under the impression that Cantonese is seen as a 'baby' language because it skips over specifics. (Someone correct me if I'm completely wrong), So when you're talking of about a group of people you may have a line like:

"they're over there. eating talking loudly and happy."

We've outlined it's a group, they're eating and talking happily. Most of you would understand that. Though, it seems odd. If english came to that point though, would it be so bad?

Just a thought.

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks
    Not everyone here is a native English speaker, to some, it may seem as though there is no difference—mainly due to the identical pronunciation. We aren't just dealing with American viewers here. Remember, anime is an international phenomenon.

I certainly would hope that somebody would point out the fact I was using the wrong word, were I posting in a mainly German (or Spanish, or Japanese, ect.) forum.
    True I do agree that there are members not a Native English speaker, because for one I am not a native speaker. But I actually think that people who are from another country learning English will probably have more discipline and better grammar than we do. The reason is their (see I used it right) teachers emphasizes on perfection more the United States counterpart.

Quote Originally Posted by jao
    I'm under the impression that Cantonese is seen as a 'baby' language because it skips over specifics.
    explain this to me again, I really don't understand this part.
    Last edited by Legend; Feb 17, 2005 at 10:24 AM.

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast