Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Time Travel

Otaku Dragor may be famous one day Dragor may be famous one day Dragor's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ryke12
    This is interesting... Time travel... I, for one, am against it. If a "time machine" were ever created, I would do my best to destroy it. Too dangerous. Not for the simple idea of "kill everyone by doing stupid stuff in the past", but for the sheer INFORMATION someone could gain from using a time machine. NOT from the future, but from the past. Think about it. It would start another World War. This time, though, it would involve RELIGIONS. That's all I'm saying. If you can't figure out what I mean, you're beyond help.
    That's a good point.

Now that you mention religion it reminds me of a thing that I once thought up.

If somebody were able to go back in time to ancient civilzations with some of our present day technology could they convince the ancient people that they are in fact a god.

And if someone could convince them that they are a god then when they coem back to the present day would they still be seen as a god in the present day and worshipped as one. I mean if the ancient people started a religion based around that person, when they come back they could be still worshipped.

And if the people required him to show them of his powers, then they could simply go into the future and bring back soem technology from then to appease and convince the people of our modern times.

So despite the obvious benefits it could bring I to must say that I would be against such technology. We are uncapable of handling such power, and will probably never be able to.
    Dreams come true, but nightmares do too.

Life isn't a game, it's just a referal to the time you exist on this playground called Earth.

Otaku ryke12 may be famous one day ryke12 may be famous one day
    Thanks
    Well, now, that wasn't EXACTLY what I meant... I was thinking more along the lines of people going back and trying to PROVE a religion, thus starting a World War over religions because people who dedicate their lives to their religion aren't very well going to just fall and accept a new God, now are they?

Otaku Dragor may be famous one day Dragor may be famous one day Dragor's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ryke12
    Well, now, that wasn't EXACTLY what I meant... I was thinking more along the lines of people going back and trying to PROVE a religion, thus starting a World War over religions because people who dedicate their lives to their religion aren't very well going to just fall and accept a new God, now are they?
    Yeah I know that's what you meant, but I was bringing up an idea of my own.
    Dreams come true, but nightmares do too.

Life isn't a game, it's just a referal to the time you exist on this playground called Earth.

AO Angel ^^ angelan may be famous one day angelan may be famous one day angelan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodion
    Such a great concept, time travel. But, unless you can travel faster than the speed of light, it's simply not possible. Read up on the special and general theories of relativity. I really think the science curriculum in schools around the world should be reviewed because there is less and less emphasis on teaching these basic tenets on how our universe works, and it's actually all very simple, provided you have a good teacher. I mean, when high school teachers discuss relatively, all they say is E=mc^2 and most science teachers don't even know what they are talking about! Even in my college physics classes, no formula could ever convince me that nothing travelled faster than the speed of light. But, then I met Alex Look up "Alex Filippenko" on the internet (www.google.com or whathaveyou). Now there's a guy you need to listen to when discussing relativity, time-travel, black holes, and alternate universes--he makes everything crystal clear. He has a series of lectures all about the universe, all in tape/DVD. You will feel better about your own existence in this universe after watching all 16 lectures...I know I did XD

-RODION
    Rodion, I must agree with you on a review of curriculum. In highschool I was lucky enough to have a physics buff for my teacher and he taught us, or tried to show us MUCH more than we needed. Even tho we dreaded it at the time (considering we had curriculum to follow on a tight schedule), looking back, I don't know where else I would get introduced to the stuff. Physics in the smallest sense (in atoms or what have you) all the way to infinite space, time, and the boundaries of "space-time", blackholes....all of it...boggled our minds. He was the best friggin teacher I ever had.

and very true, by the equations, we cannot achieve time travel before we achieve speed of light. I still remember my teacher telling us about experiments with atomic clocks on jet planes attempting to travel at the speed of light.....very interesting stuff.

And, thanks for the links
    -=|AnimeReflections|Live-Evil|My Trades|=-

Put your unused CPU to use for a good cause: |Folding@Home||Human Proteome Folding|

Otaku Rodion may be famous one day Rodion may be famous one day Rodion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by angelan
    Rodion, I must agree with you on a review of curriculum. In highschool I was lucky enough to have a physics buff for my teacher and he taught us, or tried to show us MUCH more than we needed. Even tho we dreaded it at the time (considering we had curriculum to follow on a tight schedule), looking back, I don't know where else I would get introduced to the stuff. Physics in the smallest sense (in atoms or what have you) all the way to infinite space, time, and the boundaries of "space-time", blackholes....all of it...boggled our minds. He was the best friggin teacher I ever had.

and very true, by the equations, we cannot achieve time travel before we achieve speed of light. I still remember my teacher telling us about experiments with atomic clocks on jet planes attempting to travel at the speed of light.....very interesting stuff.

And, thanks for the links
    You are welcome. And btw, the experiment with atomic clocks in airplanes has nothing to do with attempts to reach the speed of light. Those experiments wanted to prove that time is bent by the curved space around gravity fields, to the point that atomic clocks can actually measure and prove that if you are standiong on the surface of the earth, time is actually slower by a few millionths of a second, than if you are flying high in the atmosphere...pretty mindboggling stuff, but yes, very true...not science fiction, but science fact.

-RODION
    "Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to think at all."
    - Hypatia of Alexandria

jao
    Otaku jao may be famous one day jao may be famous one day
    Thanks

Um...No..

Time is a measurement it isn't something that can be changed because it is just our way of saying this is the movement of energy.

It's been outlined several times in this topic already about why you can't travel at the speed of light as well as other important theories.

As for actually travelling through time, think of it this way..You're made of of atoms. If the exactly same amount of atoms that were part of you were taking into the past where these atoms once were at a point of 'TIME' then you would have a universal problem of balance. You'd have an extra amount of energy/matter that had the same patterns as the energy you are at that moment. Then keep in mind that perhaps by travelling in time you don't actually travel but the pieces that make you go back to a state they once were, thus leaving you with no recollection other than what occured in that past. Or perhaps they would just disappear to their old state, which means your body would have most of it's parts just vanish. So actually 'you' haven't gone anywhere. Depending on how fair the device orignally intended to throw you you mighten even exist as you know yourself.

It may also work that the parts that make you up are transported to where you are and have the make up of the past so that you may exist as a body but lack the memeory.

These are just some things that came to mind.

One thing I do believe in is a theory to predict the future through either mathmatics or natural traits (not in reference to physics but the experience the body has that are subtle and known to the mind like the feeling of rain, danger etc, or or less a collection of variables to usually bring a certain outcome) because of the way energy and matter relate and effect what we perceive.

Mathmatically there would be a lot of varibles to consider, but with a different way of approaching or thinking you could perhaps conjure up something. I believe there are people out there driving themselves crazy doing it lol..
    Last edited by jao; Dec 31, 2004 at 11:47 AM.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks
    Actually scientist are rethinking the belief that we can't break the speed of light. It's starting to be considered another "sound barrier" that will just require more knowlege and better technology to pass/break.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Otaku Nightwish may be famous one day Nightwish may be famous one day Nightwish's Avatar
    Thanks
    i think it would be fun. goin back, seeing the Revolutionary War and stuff. just idly sit in a tree. watch our fair country win it's independence. anyways, the only downsides to it is the fact u'd change the future. but i look at it this way: "ehh, shit happens."

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast