Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: toke (Marijuana, Pro or Con)

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by datapimp
    I'm not trying to say 'drugs are good', I'm trying to say they arn't all that bad either. Obviously there is exceptions, hard drugs with high addiction rates (though if you look at statistics, more people give up heroin then tobacco) such as meth, h, or coke. I really don't think these kind of drugs can be used responsibly at all. I'm sure some rare poeple can handle them, but it's definitly a minority. You have to approach each objectivly.
    I agree. I just see a huge difference between medically perscribed drugs and a culture of acceptable drug use. That is the question at hand. You can argue about the medical benifits of marijuana all you want but the fact is it is unessesary to legalize a mind altering drug in order to make it accessable to the medical community. All legalization does is make it availible for the casual user.

You say it is no worse then the legal drugs (alcohol, and tobacco) but fail to explain how making another substance legal that will have to be regulated will benifit society. With all the current controversy over the lethality of tobacco why add another smoked drug to civil society. What is the benifit?

You may also want to look into a historical veiw of drug use that isn't written by an activist. I have quite an interest in history and I can assure you that not only is the drugs we have now not the same as those they had traditionally (potencey has increased dramatically in the last 50 years) there was not the current understanding of the actual effects. Whether it affected them the same is not the question. It is a question of potency and advances in medical science. I would suggest reading about the gradual illegalization of opium. It's fascinating.

PS. Just as a reminder, the subject from the begining of the thread:

lets just say were here to discuss the pro's and con's

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Otaku roger_smith may be famous one day roger_smith may be famous one day roger_smith's Avatar
    Thanks
    I hate to be the one to break this to you datapimp, being a die hard Bruce Lee fan but he died because of cannabis use. He was actually one of the rare cases that is allergic to cannabis use. He was also rushed to the hospital once before for hashish use which is rsedue taken from the cannabis plant and heated and pressed.

I do agree with you on the topic that personal freedom comes first.As one of the esteemed members of Tool said.
    "Its not a war on drugs, its a war on personal freedom thats what it is. Keep that in mind at all times thank you."
    This pain is sratching at my bone.
    And this Loneliness won't leave me alone.

Newbie little_angel12377 may be famous one day little_angel12377 may be famous one day little_angel12377's Avatar
    Thanks
    who knows.
    Naruto rocks! ~.^

ruler of mune667 deaths_raver667 may be famous one day deaths_raver667 may be famous one day deaths_raver667's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna

lets just say were here to discuss the pro's and con's
    ok,
    pro's: it gives the user a high, and it may have medicinal uses

cons: it is mentally adictive, it can cause temporary scitzophrenia anlong with a few other mental illnesses, it can lead to the user being deppressed, stealing, and other anti-social activities.

there's some pros and cons i know. not all but what i can be bothered to put
    i am the urban monky
    look to the mune

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by roger_smith
    I do agree with you on the topic that personal freedom comes first.As one of the esteemed members of Tool said.
    "Its not a war on drugs, its a war on personal freedom thats what it is. Keep that in mind at all times thank you."
    Personal liberty/freedom is "the freedom of a person to come and go as he or she pleases without unwarranted restraint." Or in other words, the right to a fair trial. The freedom from unwarrented search and sezures. The right to travel (inside the country) without restriction.

Everything else, including laws on drugs, fall under civil liberties.
    civil liberty

n 1: one's freedom to exercise one's rights as guaranteed under the laws of the country [syn: political liberty] 2: fundamental individual right protected by law and expressed as immunity from unwarranted governmental interference
    If it's not defined by law, it doesn't exist. Don't like it? Change the law.

Or in other words, it's not a war on personal freedoms. It's not even a war on civil liberties since those liberties don't exist. It is a war by people trying to recreate new civil liberties vs those trying to enforce existing civil laws. The question is whether the ones who don't want new laws, or the ones that do, will win.

(Time for a new thread.
    Civil liberties)

PS. deaths_raver667, I wasn't aware getting high was a "pro". Well maybe to the person getting high but to those around them usually it's considered a "con". IMHO
    Last edited by Arrianna; May 21, 2005 at 01:17 PM.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Newbie yum9 may be famous one day yum9 may be famous one day yum9's Avatar
    Thanks
    Wow, 11 pages. Interesting, my take on things? Health wise, I find it a con and a pro. If you smoke MJ like a chimney, it'll obviously do some damage, I'm not sure how much, but I know it'll definitely do some. However, if you smoke it when you have some sort of pain (like in Europe with the prescribed MJ tea, or something like that) then I see it as no less worse than morenphine, which is a pain killer, only the context of the use is different (vastly, if I'm not mistaken). However, I see MJ as much more of a mental threat than a physical one. Being addicted to anything, drugs, food, intercourse, anime (:P), is a bad thing. As a wise one once said, "Too much of anything, even a good thing, is bad" Using MJ when under lots of stress (marital problems) seem understandable, thought there are better ways of coping. However, if you need it to escape everyday problems (escapism) then I see as a big flaw, you live your life for a little plant that gives you temporary happiness.

Mind you, I have never done MJ, nor have I studied the adverse effects of it on the human body, that's just my opinion, you can take whatever you would like from it.

As for references (just in case), most of the physical stuff are ideas I gathered from reading the 11 pages of this thread. The mental stuff is just stuff I figured could be true, however there is no *solid* backup I have for this.

Otaku thevampirealacrud may be famous one day thevampirealacrud may be famous one day thevampirealacrud's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mary-Jane is a big prob. and a big help, with it we could help some people suffering form certain diseases but on the other hand the economy would crash b/c everyone would have an addiction and want more and more.
    "You have the strength and power to control your own destinies...and that is the greatest gift of all." ~Lucia

Newbie datapimp may be famous one day datapimp may be famous one day
    Thanks
    Recent developments in the therapeutic potential of cannabinoids.

Corey S.

Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Institute of Neurobiology, Medical Sciences Campus University of Puerto Rico, San Juan, Puerto Rico 00901. [email protected]

OBJECTIVE: To examine the recent evidence that marijuana and other cannabinoids have therapeutic potential. METHODS: Literature published since 1997 was searched using the following terms: cannabinoid, marijuana, THC, analgesia, cachexia, glaucoma, movement, multiple sclerosis, neurological, pain, Parkinson, trial, vomiting. Qualifying clinical studies were randomized, double-blind, and placebo-controlled. Selected open-label studies and surveys are also discussed. RESULTS: A total of 15 independent, qualifying clinical trials were identified, of which only three had more than 100 patients each. Two large trials found that cannabinoids were significantly better than placebo in managing spasticity in multiple sclerosis. Patients self-reported greater sense of motor improvement in multiple sclerosis than could be confirmed objectively. In smaller qualifying trials, cannabinoids produced significant objective improvement of tics in Tourette's disease, and neuropathic pain. A new, non-psychotropic cannabinoid also has analgesic activity in neuropathic pain. No significant improvement was found in levodopa-induced dyskinesia in Parkinson's Disease or post-operative pain. No difference from active placebo was found for management of cachexia in a large trial. Some immune system parameters changed in HIV-1 and multiple sclerosis patients treated with cannabinoids, but the clinical significance is unknown. Quality of life assessments were made in only three of 15 qualifying clinical trials. CONCLUSION: Cannabinoids may be useful for conditions that currently lack effective treatment, such as spasticity, tics and neuropathic pain. New delivery systems for cannabinoids and cannabis-based medicinal extracts, as well as new cannabinoid derivatives expand the options for cannabinoid therapy.

PMID: 15895873

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast