Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Trial of this decade?

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Trial of this decade?

I guess after a few years if it is getting now where, and a few witness and judges get killed, I wouldn't be surprised if Saddam was suddenly "erased" like that arnold movie...

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

Devoted Otaku Spike'sRose may be famous one day Spike'sRose may be famous one day Spike'sRose's Avatar
    Thanks

You know, I am not sure why everyone is surprised by Saddam's lack of coperation in that short trial. He's a jack ass, and will act as such.

No, it's not the trial of the decade. The trial of the decade should have been Slobadon Milosevic... Now that guy was a BASTARD. I guess no one noticed the repeat of the Holocaust in the Balkans. Anyway...

Will Saddam be found guilty? He should be... And if America has anything to do with it, then yes. I personally don't care what they do with his arrogant self. Kill him, lock him away. No matter what, he is finished as dictator of Iraq.

*EDIT*
    I just now heard on the news!!! Saddam's lawyer was found murdered!!! Woah... I don't know details, but I'm sure someone could find out.
    Last edited by Spike'sRose; Oct 21, 2005 at 12:17 PM.

Newbie Felnor may be famous one day Felnor may be famous one day Felnor's Avatar
    Thanks

Its not the trial of the centery but its up there. It will be a joke of a trial through. I mean the judges were trained by the Allies and probably have reason to hate him. Plus everything he is accused of, he did without doubt. The only qestion will be what his punishment is: Life inprisonment or death? either way he's got no chance of winning.
    "Walk On, Walk On, With Hope In Your Heart And You'll Never Walk Alone"

http://jadeli.proboards58.com/ - Join if you got nothing better to do!

Otaku Barronmore may be famous one day Barronmore may be famous one day Barronmore's Avatar
    Thanks

If he did everything 'wihtout doubt', why does it matter if the judges are trained by the allies or not (which I don't know if they are)? Why do you have to be 'prejudice' against him if all the evidence is proving he did it anyway?

Honestly, the only reason Sadam is ALIVE today is becuase the US found him. If any Iraqi's had found hm they would have dragged his lifeless body through the streets. He would never have made it to a trial. When the Iraqi people themselves found out that Sadam was "on trial" they wondered why? They new he did it and he was guilty and they wanted to kill him immediatly and parade the fact to the world. The Iraqi government said no because they wanted to prove to the world 2 things:

1. That Sadam did do everything that he is accused of and they will prove it
    2. That they can prove to the world that democrocy and justice can and will prevail in post sadam Iraq.

I think the trial will be very real. I don't think Sadam has a prayer of being found inocent because there is a mountain of verifiable evidence against him. Yet, justice is being served. The evidence is being presented in a court of law. He is allowed to face is accusers and he is allowed to freely defend himself. If a defendant is KNOWN to be guilty before his trial does this rob him of a fair trial? I don't see how this is a "kangaroo court". So far it seems that they have done everythig by the book and the Iraqi government has bent over backwards so far to see that everything is done according to the rules. Just becuase we can presume with most certanty what the outcome will be does not make it a unfair case. It means that the evidence is very clear against him.

忍び Tychoides may be famous one day Tychoides may be famous one day Tychoides's Avatar
    Thanks

Trial of the decade? Perhaps, but we're only half-way through the decade.

In any case, this is certainly a "show" type of trial, much like Nuremburg trials for the Nazis after World War II. I have no doubt Saddam will be found guilty of multiple crimes against humanity and suffer the death penalty. In terms of the actual definition, it's not a "kangaroo court" so to speak, but the result is definitely inevitable and more of a formality than anything else.
    I don't have a God complex. I am God.

Newbie Felnor may be famous one day Felnor may be famous one day Felnor's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Barronmore
    If he did everything 'wihtout doubt', why does it matter if the judges are trained by the allies or not (which I don't know if they are)? Why do you have to be 'prejudice' against him if all the evidence is proving he did it anyway?
    The were trained by the Americans. It matters because different justice systems have somewhat different views on justice. The judges are likely to be trained to the American way of thinking.

As the evidence is proving he did it anyway, this makes the court case a joke and waste of time and effort really. If here was any doubt, then fair enough. But there really isnt. Thats why its a "Kangroo Court"

Im not sure how Im being "prejudice" by stating known facts.
    "Walk On, Walk On, With Hope In Your Heart And You'll Never Walk Alone"

http://jadeli.proboards58.com/ - Join if you got nothing better to do!

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Felnor
    As the evidence is proving he did it anyway, this makes the court case a joke and waste of time and effort really. If here was any doubt, then fair enough. But there really isnt. Thats why its a "Kangroo Court"

Im not sure how Im being "prejudice" by stating known facts.
    Because that is not what a Kangarro court is.

kangaroo court
    n.

1. A mock court set up in violation of established legal procedure.
    2. A court characterized by dishonesty or incompetence.
    The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
    Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.

kangaroo court

A self-appointed tribunal that violates established legal procedure; also, a dishonest or incompetent court of law. For example, The rebels set up a kangaroo court and condemned the prisoners to summary execution, or That judge runs a kangaroo courthe tells rape victims they should have been more careful. This expression is thought to liken the jumping ability of kangaroos to a court that jumps to conclusions on an invalid basis. [Mid-1800s]
    The American Heritage® Dictionary of Idioms by Christine Ammer.
    Copyright © 1997 by The Christine Ammer 1992 Trust.

By calling it a Kangaroo Court you are saying that it is illegal, dishonest, and useing invalid evidence to persecute an innocent man.

If there is no doubt he's guilty, if the evidence is true, and it is a legally recognized court following legal procedure then it is most definatly not a Kangaroo Court and you own the men who are risking their lives to see justice done an apology.

The only other option is to simply string him up since "everyone knows he's guilty". But then since that actually would be a Kagaroo Court you will forgive me for prefering present legal procedure.

PS. I would also like some proof that those running the court are "trained by the Americans" since as far as I know not only are the present court officials from the Iraqi judicial system but the only ones with "American" lawyers working for them is the defense.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna
    Because that is not what a Kangarro court is.

kangaroo court
    n.

1. A mock court set up in violation of established legal procedure.
    2. A court characterized by dishonesty or incompetence.
    The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
    Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.

kangaroo court

A self-appointed tribunal that violates established legal procedure; also, a dishonest or incompetent court of law. For example, The rebels set up a kangaroo court and condemned the prisoners to summary execution, or That judge runs a kangaroo courthe tells rape victims they should have been more careful. This expression is thought to liken the jumping ability of kangaroos to a court that jumps to conclusions on an invalid basis. [Mid-1800s]
    The American Heritage® Dictionary of Idioms by Christine Ammer.
    Copyright © 1997 by The Christine Ammer 1992 Trust.

By calling it a Kangaroo Court you are saying that it is illegal, dishonest, and useing invalid evidence to persecute an innocent man.
    There is the issue over which law that Saddam is being tried by. At the time that the alleged crimes occured, Saddam was the world recognized leader of the goverment of Iraq. With the laws that were in place and being enforced by the Iraq goverment at the time, Saddam was well within his rights as leader of the country to order the execuations as part of the effort to put down an internal uprising that resulting in an attempt on his life (and how many other goverment leaders throughout the world have ended up making exactly the same kind of condition???)... If the local laws have been changed to try Saddam, is it correct and proper to do it several years later after the fact... And is it correct to try him in the Iraq court system, when their constituion (which would grant authority to the courts) has not been finalized??

If Saddam is being tried on the grounds of crimes against humanity, (which implies laws above and beyond national sovereignty), then why is Saddam being tried by the local Iraq courts and not by a legal body with international jurisdiction??? (which was done with the captured leaders of Bosnia)

When Saddam was captured (by US forces) the original intent was to try him in the Military courts, which would have been the proper venue for such things. But one of the conditions that was made for the creation of the intern Iraq goverment was that Saddam would be turned over to them. This was done to give the appearence of legitimacy to the Iraqi people, and as an attempt to suppress popular support for the ongoing insurgency.
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast