Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 9 to 16 of 32

Thread: TV Ruining The Youth Of America?

  1. #9
    Gundam Builder Ragn0r0x may be famous one day Ragn0r0x may be famous one day Ragn0r0x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    SAn Diego
    Posts
    708
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Its just bad parenting when parents start to blame tv for their kids behavior. Its just like when parents used video games as a scapegoat for the Columbine shooting.

  2. #10
    Domme Kasai may be famous one day Kasai may be famous one day Kasai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,736
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragn0r0x
    Its just bad parenting when parents start to blame tv for their kids behavior. Its just like when parents used video games as a scapegoat for the Columbine shooting.
    Now that. I agree on. 100%
    Seduced by Flesh


  3. #11
    Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    3,259
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 140 Times in 108 Posts
    Exclusivly at fault? Of course not. Free from blame? Never.

    For what ever the reason there are alot of children and teenagers who don't have an active positive parental influence. When that happens the peer group/culture tends to become the primary influence. With all the crap out there it's going to have an impact.

    It's proven that alot of the more "sensational" media/games imagery is essentially the same as that used for desensitivity training for people who need to become innured to such things. Example: some first person shooter games (the more graffic ones) are almost identical to training provided to militant personel who need to be able to kill without thought or remorse.

    Say what you like, if you surround yourself with mud you will get dirty. Blaming the parents exclusivly is only an attempt to remove any trace of responsibility from those who profit from the dirt and to justify their/your own involvment.

    l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

  4. #12
    Otaku Dragor may be famous one day Dragor may be famous one day Dragor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    269
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Some shows can cause me to think, or get hyper depending on what the subject is, but it can't alter my perseptin on things.

    The U.S. isn't the only country with tv's, haha, but none of the other countries seem to have a probelm so I wouldn't quite think that it's tv programs if it's only in one country.

    There's a music video from a band called Pennywise, and in it it gives yuou the numbers of deaths caused by guns in various countries. I mean stable countries that aren't in Civil War and such all the time, like the U.S., Great Britain, Australia, Japan, and such and in it you see that our death toll is in the thousands due to guns, and everyone else is below 100. Well most are below 100. Britain I believe is only 97 deaths due to homocide using a firearm.
    Dreams come true, but nightmares do too.

    Life isn't a game, it's just a referal to the time you exist on this playground called Earth.

  5. #13
    Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    3,259
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 140 Times in 108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragor
    Some shows can cause me to think, or get hyper depending on what the subject is, but it can't alter my perseptin on things.
    True. Unfortunatly alot of people including, (or perhaps especially), teenagers these days are taking medical drugs that can. A dissassociation with reality is not a good combination with the other.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragor
    The U.S. isn't the only country with tv's, haha, but none of the other countries seem to have a probelm so I wouldn't quite think that it's tv programs if it's only in one country.
    "To the point were kids are shoting each other"

    I don't think other countries drug their kids to make them behave either. Unless your talking about gangs because they have that problem too.

    "doing drugs, having kids at the age 11?!"

    Yeah, other countries have those problems too.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragor
    There's a music video from a band called Pennywise, and in it it gives yuou the numbers of deaths caused by guns in various countries. I mean stable countries that aren't in Civil War and such all the time, like the U.S., Great Britain, Australia, Japan, and such and in it you see that our death toll is in the thousands due to guns, and everyone else is below 100. Well most are below 100. Britain I believe is only 97 deaths due to homocide using a firearm.
    Check the percentages of population. You might get different results. Also of the countries you have named 2 of them have outlawed gun ownership and since then their gun related homicides have increased significantly. Something to think about.
    Last edited by Arrianna; Dec 24, 2004 at 07:59 PM.

    l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

  6. #14
    Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    3,259
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 140 Times in 108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZerOraY
    Tv is supposdly ruining the youth of america? To the point were kids are shoting each other, doing drugs, having kids at the age 11?! To what point can TV be blamed.

    What Is your opinion on the topic???

    I'm sure their are going to be mixed feelings on this topic
    So what is it like in Japan?

    l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

  7. #15
    Newbie Shien may be famous one day Shien may be famous one day
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Inside of you
    Posts
    73
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Bad Parenting

    I believe on what you guys said on bad parenting.. it's not like it's the T.V. Shows or movies that have to do with it.. it's the surroundings and the parents who neglect that the child/ren are not being noticed, so they do things so that their parents can see what they go through and parents take it the wrong way.. and it's also influenced by their friends who was neglected also.. it's just like a never ending chain of pressure and insecurity..

    -Neko-maho
    My Dark Kindered Spirit Guide Me Through This Errant World..

    Newbie Socks Stolen - 45 pairs


  8. #16
    Otaku Dragor may be famous one day Dragor may be famous one day Dragor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    269
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna
    Check the percentages of population. You might get different results. Also of the countries you have named 2 of them have outlawed gun ownership and since then their gun related homicides have increased significantly. Something to think about.
    Ok, it was my mistake of forgetting to take in the size of the population, but still the U.S. would have a higher percentage as well, just it wouldn't look as dramatic as the raw numbers.


    Anyway I must throw this fact in; crime existed before television. Gangs, young pregnancies, muder, rape, they've all existed far before the television was even invented.

    These problems will always exist, all we can do is try and minimize them.

    Part of the problem is parenting, part is the enviroment in which they grow up in, part is the individuals own personality and frame of mind.


    The values that kids are taught, the actions that tehy see others taking around them, and their own experiences in the world cause these problems not some show.
    Dreams come true, but nightmares do too.

    Life isn't a game, it's just a referal to the time you exist on this playground called Earth.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts