Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Is the U.S. gov. trying to make us dumber?

Otaku ryke12 may be famous one day ryke12 may be famous one day
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurika
    Yea, I see your point, because they also lowered the regents cutline over here. The failing grade used to be a 65, now they turned it to a 55. Crazy changes huh?

Really doesn't make a difference though. And you really can't blame the government for this. Because either way, still half of the kids fail the exams. But then there are the kids who just pass by a 65, and say, "ok I'm good!" Seriously, kids these days, including myself are lazy and all procrastinators. Like, right now..right this minute..I'm supposed to be sleeping now, but instead I'm stuck here at the last minute doing my english essay due tomorrow. And of course, even NOW I'm not doing my work, because I'm on this forum. *sigh* The government isn't trying to make us dumber, more like making chances.

Besides, if you think about it, the exams aren't getting easier anyways. The new SATs I hear about..isn't good news. It's going down to bad news.
    C'mon now... It's WRITING. Not that much of a change... unless you are an Asian who lived in Nebraska for a LONG time (just a little joke... yes I mean you, Kevin)

And what do you mean by "doesn't make a difference"? Ten points!!! If that doesn't make a huge difference in the failing number of people... then your school scares me.

Failing is still 0-69 at my school.

So yes they are making us dumber. Why would they lower the failing grade, thus making more and more people who wouldn't cut it before pass now?
    Maybe I'll come up eith a sig soon... until then, be patient.

Otaku TakuHonji may be famous one day TakuHonji may be famous one day TakuHonji's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by May
    Honestly... we make ourselves look dumber w/out the governments help...
    Kinda have to agree with May on that....

Ones life is too short to move like a mortal
    Live by the sword
    Die by the sword
    Stay in the shadows

Otaku Animewolf267 may be famous one day Animewolf267 may be famous one day Animewolf267's Avatar
    Thanks
    ...what ever..i give up lol
    Icy cold Toilet Paper!!!!

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks
    No, they are not trying to make us dumber, they're trying to make themselves look better. All lowering the passing grade does is make it appear as if not as many kids are failing. They're inflating the statistics to make it look as if a problem with the schools has been fixed without actually doing anything to actually fix it. It's about money and saving face, not the kids. That is the actual crime here.

When I left highschool 30% of my class did not graduate. 30%! Now the number graduating is higher. Not because the students are learning more but because the standerds have change to lower expectations. For some people that is all that matters, the % graduated. It doesn't matter to them that Colleges are having to constently increase the number of "remedial" classes to teach their students what they were supposed to have learned in high school or that the number of students who don't finish college degrees increases every time the public schools lower their standerds. All they care about is their numbers. Perhaps they are fooling some people but there are those who do notice, yourself included.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Strange Times Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark.'s Avatar
    Thanks
    I think a 33% passing grade is a little too kind. A passing grade now is like, a 70% in my school's system. 69 on down is failing. kids need to realize life isn't be so kind in real life. If anything they should be enforcing the grades to be higher up, not lower, maybe neither, because though schoolwork's been made "easier" now that we can research with computers and internet, there's alot more extra-curiculars out there to be offered on just about everything, not just sports. Choirs, track, debate teams, they take up time in the evening to lessen your time to do homework, and alot more people participate in these xtra-curicluars now than they did in the past.

Otaku ryke12 may be famous one day ryke12 may be famous one day
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna
    For some people that is all that matters, the % graduated. It doesn't matter to them that Colleges are having to constently increase the number of "remedial" classes to teach their students what they were supposed to have learned in high school or that the number of students who don't finish college degrees increases every time the public schools lower their standerds. All they care about is their numbers. Perhaps they are fooling some people but there are those who do notice, yourself included.
    Uh.. just thought that I should pont out the flaw in your logic... You complain that people only care about "the % graduated", then decide that people should care about "the NUMBER of people that don't finish college", THEN switch YET AGAIN to say "All they care about is their numbers".

Just thought that should be noted. Otherwise very well written argument...

Also, this apparent "new" graduation requirement will probably not be revoked. Why? Because of parents. The parents of the kids who wouldn't have passed normally certainly aren't complaining "Hey, my kid was failing... now he's passing! WTF is wrong here?!", and the parents of the kids who were "borderline" won't complain, either.

Remember: Things get done in schools because of parents!

PS: Didn't mean for that to be counted as a bash on ya, Arrianna. Respect ya very much, but your logic this time was decidedly... sub-par.

PPS: Sry if my spelling is off today, it's been a weird afternoon.
    Maybe I'll come up eith a sig soon... until then, be patient.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ryke12
    Uh.. just thought that I should pont out the flaw in your logic... You complain that people only care about "the % graduated", then decide that people should care about "the NUMBER of people that don't finish college", THEN switch YET AGAIN to say "All they care about is their numbers".

Just thought that should be noted. Otherwise very well written argument...

Also, this apparent "new" graduation requirement will probably not be revoked. Why? Because of parents. The parents of the kids who wouldn't have passed normally certainly aren't complaining "Hey, my kid was failing... now he's passing! WTF is wrong here?!", and the parents of the kids who were "borderline" won't complain, either.

Remember: Things get done in schools because of parents!

PS: Didn't mean for that to be counted as a bash on ya, Arrianna. Respect ya very much, but your logic this time was decidedly... sub-par.

PPS: Sry if my spelling is off today, it's been a weird afternoon.
    lol, no offense taken. It just means I need to explain.

Colleges are getting tired of inflated grades because it results in kids being accepted into curriculums they are not prepared for. Then, overwelmed, they drop out. When grades are a correct reflection of ability then the colleges are better able to met their students needs in a way that will enable them to grow and excell. The increased drop out rate is a direct result of deceit on the part of the Public Schools whether it is to make themselves look good or to inflate the students "self esteem". It is a waste of the colleges time and others money and usually permenantly affects the future of the student involved.

When the colleges catch it they put them in the remedial classes. They expect to offer one remedial class per subject. In the last few years however with the new "standerds" they have have to triple the number of remedial classes. As in, instead of taking one remedial math class in order to come up to standerds they now have students who have to take a series of three. At the least it can mean an extra year of college to recieve their degree.

Most Colleges/Universities don't mind offering these remedial classes if it means that the students are able to get an education. The problem is that if the student is receiving Federal Grants/Loans they only have so many credit hours until they cut you off. If the student racks up enough remedial classes and then has difficulty in any other subject it is likely they will be unable to afford to finish their degree.

In other words, the failure on the part of Public Schools to retain standerds for whatever reason has a cascading affect upon the students future education. The interest in Public Schools in numbers rather then education directly impacts the drop out rate of College students and the chance those students have to increase their earning potential after graduation.

In case you are wondering how I know this, my father worked for a College from the time I was 7 untill he retired and my husband currently is Adjunct Faculty at a University.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Newbie frozenwilderness may be famous one day frozenwilderness may be famous one day frozenwilderness's Avatar
    Thanks
    I took the new SATs in March. It sucked. A lot of people didn't think it was harder, just much longer. It was a different case for me since I didn't bother to study until the night before (though I didn't study for the old SAT at all). The writing section royally screwed me over; it wasn't the essay, it was the multiple choice where you had to find where the mistake was. Actually, I think I just suck at language in general.

But anywayyy.. the SATs aren't state education standards - you only take those if you plan to attend college/uni or something. The government isn't trying to make us dumber either, it's just trying to appease the angry mobs of people that are upset that their kids are failing. And probably make it look like people are passing so other countries can't say that the education system in America is horrible - see, 80% of our students are passing in high school Lowering standards is a stupid way to do it, but hey, whatever floats their boat. (Don't aggregate the angry mobs, they'll sink it)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast