Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Is the U.S. gov. trying to make us dumber?

Otaku ryke12 may be famous one day ryke12 may be famous one day
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by frozenwilderness
    I took the new SATs in March. It sucked. A lot of people didn't think it was harder, just much longer. It was a different case for me since I didn't bother to study until the night before (though I didn't study for the old SAT at all). The writing section royally screwed me over; it wasn't the essay, it was the multiple choice where you had to find where the mistake was. Actually, I think I just suck at language in general.

But anywayyy.. the SATs aren't state education standards - you only take those if you plan to attend college/uni or something. The government isn't trying to make us dumber either, it's just trying to appease the angry mobs of people that are upset that their kids are failing. And probably make it look like people are passing so other countries can't say that the education system in America is horrible - see, 80% of our students are passing in high school Lowering standards is a stupid way to do it, but hey, whatever floats their boat. (Don't aggregate the angry mobs, they'll sink it)
    Longer? From the time estimates I looked at, it should only take about ten minutes more time... Something about how they took out analogies, and I believe they took out the "experimental" section. Not sure on that one, though.

Hmm... and about the part with finding the mistake... I don't think anyone taking the ITBS (Or rough equivolent) or the CRCT should have trouble with that... I distinctly remember parts about that.

You study for the SAT? No offense, but I never studied for any SAT, and when I took the SAT in 7th grade, I got a mediocre 1180 (back when max score was 1600), and when I took the new PSATS about half a year ago, I got above 95%, or the rough equivolent of 1800-1900 (something).

How do you study for it, anyway? Especially since they started integrating Algebra 2? It's like taking an emergency crash-course in 2-4 years of school.

Once again, this post was NOT meant to be condescending. If the mods (or whoever) want me to edit out the little "modest" part, then PM me. As always, I'm open to problems with my post.
    Maybe I'll come up eith a sig soon... until then, be patient.

Otaku Animewolf267 may be famous one day Animewolf267 may be famous one day Animewolf267's Avatar
    Thanks
    ok this really wasnt origianly made about the schools so let me rephrase the topic, The government isnt wanting us to get smarter, in other words they are attempting to kinda crowd jobs with the intulectuals or they are just trying to get more people out of high schools so the unemployment rate will go down.
    Icy cold Toilet Paper!!!!

M A S T E R Zui Quan may be famous one day Zui Quan may be famous one day Zui Quan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ryke12

You study for the SAT? No offense, but I never studied for any SAT, and when I took the SAT in 7th grade, I got a mediocre 1180 (back when max score was 1600), and when I took the new PSATS about half a year ago, I got above 95%, or the rough equivolent of 1800-1900 (something).

I was about to comment on that. The SAT's are not something you're supposed to study for. SAT prep courses are probably the main reason colleges don't care as much about SAT scores anymore. The SAT was designed to be a measure of how much you've managed to learn over your years in school. Now it's a measure of a kid's ability to cram for a test.
    Clan? What Clan?
    I'm the Master. I need no Clan.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Animewolf267
    ok this really wasnt origianly made about the schools so let me rephrase the topic, The government isnt wanting us to get smarter, in other words they are attempting to kinda crowd jobs with the intulectuals or they are just trying to get more people out of high schools so the unemployment rate will go down.
    Interesting idea. Only problem with it is that a highschool education doesn't result in employment. It actually increases unemployment by flooding the workforce with workers without an increase in available jobs. An increased level of college degree's however does. That is why we have so many government programs to increase the number of college students in the hope of lowering unemployment.

As I said before, changing standerds without a coresponding change in education is only an attempt on certain people's part to make themselves look better without actually accomplishing anything. Thay get away with it for the reasons ryke12 mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by ryke12
    Also, this apparent "new" graduation requirement will probably not be revoked. Why? Because of parents. The parents of the kids who wouldn't have passed normally certainly aren't complaining "Hey, my kid was failing... now he's passing! WTF is wrong here?!", and the parents of the kids who were "borderline" won't complain, either.

Remember: Things get done in schools because of parents!
    The sad part is that they have done studies which show that if you raise standerds you get a coresponding rise in education. More students excel not less.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Otaku Animewolf267 may be famous one day Animewolf267 may be famous one day Animewolf267's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna
    Interesting idea. Only problem with it is that a highschool education doesn't result in employment. It actually increases unemployment by flooding the workforce with workers without an increase in available jobs. An increased level of college degree's however does. That is why we have so many government programs to increase the number of college students in the hope of lowering unemployment.

As I said before, changing standerds without a coresponding change in education is only an attempt on certain people's part to make themselves look better without actually accomplishing anything. Thay get away with it for the reasons ryke12 mentioned.

The sad part is that they have done studies which show that if you raise standerds you get a coresponding rise in education. More students excel not less.
    Yes but realize that majority of unemployed are high school drop-outs or they failed. by making it easier to pass more people will "feel" like continueing education which is wut they are hoping to happen.

also honestly i think the sat's are S**t they just test how smart u are by standard testing methods and you really dont have to take them but it will be EXTREMELY hard to get into a decent college
    Icy cold Toilet Paper!!!!

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Animewolf267
    Yes but realize that majority of unemployed are high school drop-outs or they failed. by making it easier to pass more people will "feel" like continueing education which is wut they are hoping to happen.
    *sigh* You know I hate it when someone responds to me without reading what I wrote already. If I may quote myself?

Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna
    Colleges are getting tired of inflated grades because it results in kids being accepted into curriculums they are not prepared for. Then, overwelmed, they drop out. When grades are a correct reflection of ability then the colleges are better able to met their students needs in a way that will enable them to grow and excell. The increased drop out rate is a direct result of deceit on the part of the Public Schools whether it is to make themselves look good or to inflate the students "self esteem". It is a waste of the colleges time and others money and usually permenantly affects the future of the student involved.
    Feel free to go back and read the rest of the post.

Just to check your theory however I went to the US Department of Labors report on Unemployment. According to them there were 8,149 unemployed over the age of 16 in 2004. Of those: 1,346 were Management, professional, and related occupations; 1,617 were Service occupations; 1,937 were Sales and office occupations; 1,140 were Natural resources, construction, and maintenance; 1,393 were Production, transportation, and material moving occupations; and 686 had No previous work experience.

Since the majority of the occupations of those unemployed require at the least certification if not at least one degree I would consider your theory to be incorrect. The majority of unemployed are not High School drop outs and giving them a fake High School diploma is unlikely to change the situtation. In fact as I said in my previous posts they acctually make the situation worse and are likely to increase unemployment not decrease it. The Federal government is aware of this, even if State governments tend to ignore it, and as such do their best to support those seeking college degree's at the same time as they are trying to crack down on falsified Public School results. More degree's, more income, more taxes.

There is also one last fact you seem to be unaware of and that is that you do not need a High School diploma to go to college. Most 2 year colleges have "aptitude" tests they will give students entering without another test score (such as the SAT's) that enable them to place students as to their curiculum. The government will also fund the education of someone without a High School diploma in terms of grants and loans. All someone has to want to do is go, and they can.

Otaku frozen_mercury may be famous one day frozen_mercury may be famous one day frozen_mercury's Avatar
    Kansas (no, I do not know what happened to Dorothy and Toto)
    Thanks

It might be indeed

This no child left behind policy does not really help anyone, but instead makes only for standardized testing, meaning that teachers have less time to teach their students.
    En la tierra de los ciegos, el torto es rey.

In the end, Darwin is right. The strongest do survive.
    Hail Malthus!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by frozen_mercury
    This no child left behind policy does not really help anyone, but instead makes only for standardized testing, meaning that teachers have less time to teach their students.
    While I am aware there are flaws with the "No Child Left Behind" bill I would like to know what is wrong with standardized testing?

Isn't the point of public schools supposed to be that everyone gets the same education?

The fact that if a class is having difficulty with one of the basics the teacher now has to concentrate on them learning it instead of another "socially acceptable" subject doesn't break my heart.

Standerdized testing would also prevent the very grade tampering that is being complained about in this thread.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast