Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: uninstallable software from sony cds

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: uninstallable software from sony cds

Grumble Grumble Grumble
    Quote Originally Posted by Zdenek
    There are instructions in Czech how to remove this, but the key part is to disable loading any drivers in a directory beginning with $sys$, which is the obfuscatory prefix that is used to hide the malware. You can for example run REGEDIT and delete the keys containing $sys$ or take the disk to another computer and delete the folder beginning with that manually.
    A simple regedit listing WILL NOT REMOVE the Sony rootkit. The Sony rootkit patches the system kernal, and loads BEFORE the registry is accessed. Removing all references to $sys$ in the registry will result in your CD drives becoming unusable. It's better to wait until the next release of the Microsoft Malicious Software removal tool (available through Windows Update...) which will have the ability to 'unpatch' the rootkit installation...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Otaku Zdenek may be famous one day Zdenek may be famous one day Zdenek's Avatar
    Thanks

Of course, after disabling the driver from loading, one has to patch the IMAPI filters for CD drives and remove the missing link. But I didn't claim to supply the whole article that has several pages.
    The task mentioned is doable in Regedit simply.

Otaku Barronmore may be famous one day Barronmore may be famous one day Barronmore's Avatar
    Thanks

Thank god Sony can't pull that crap here in Canada, concidering its a violation of our constitution, which states that we have the RIGHT to make a back-up of any Media that we legally purchase (CDs, games, dvds, software ect.)
    The code would let you make up to 5 backups. In the states we have the right to create a backup as well (it was a long, drawn out court battle that was a lot of fun to watch). Sony is not concerned about legal backups (within reason) but wholesale piracy. The idea of only allowing X number of copies to be made can seem reasonable for copy protection. But the method SONY used is definatly not.

I stopped buying music when some companies made it difficult to even play the legal disk on a computer. I was all set to go out and purchase the LOTR soundracks until I tried to play my sister-in-law's on my laptop. It basicly told me that I could'nt play it on my computer and I should just learn to use a regular CD Player (yes, it was that blunt). After that, I figured what's the point since most of my music I listen to is either off of my laptop or via MP3 compression.

I simply have decided not to deal with companies that assume I'm a pirate instead of a legal customer. It's why Windows is pissing me off right now. I reinstalled a month ago and it refuses to accept my product key to activate windows even though it already accepted the product key to install windows in the first place. And from what i understand I'll have to pay MS for a new product key code even though I have a legal copy of windows.

Hey, I can use linux if it comes to that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2