Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: US Passed movie law...

Otaku Animewolf267 may be famous one day Animewolf267 may be famous one day Animewolf267's Avatar
    Thanks

US Passed movie law...

The US is finaly starting to file lawsuits for the movie swappers the article is below from Pc Wolrd:

"

MPAA Sues First Movie Swappers

Industry group will offer a free program to help users find and eliminate illegal files.

Grant Gross, IDG News Service
    Wednesday, November 17, 2004

The Motion Picture Association of America this week announced that it has begun filing lawsuits against people who use peer-to-peer software to trade movie files without permission over the Internet.

The MPAA filed an unspecified number of lawsuits in courts across the U.S., seeking damages and injunctions against the P-to-P users. Under the U.S. Copyright Act, people can be liable for as much as $30,000 for each movie traded over the Internet, and as much as $150,000 per movie if the infringement is proven to be willful.

The trade group announced earlier this month it would begin to sue file traders.

Find Illegal Files
    The MPAA also announced it will soon offer to computer users a free program that identifies movie and music titles stored on a computer, along with any installed P-to-P software. The information collected by this program would be available only to the computer's user, according to the MPAA.

Users can ask the program to remove infringing movies or music files and any P-to-P software, the MPAA says in a press release.

"Our ultimate goal is to help consumers locate the resources and information they need to make appropriate decisions about using and trading illegal files," Dan Glickman, MPAA president and chief executive officer, says in a statement. "Many parents are concerned about what their children have downloaded and where they've downloaded it from."

The MPAA also announced a new P-to-P ad campaign, to be distributed to about 10,000 U.S. video stores. The Rated I: Inappropriate for All Ages video-store campaign is similar to an ad campaign that appeared in theaters, newspapers, magazines, and on the Internet.

"Litigation alone is not the solution, but it is part of a broader MPAA effort that includes education and new technological tools among other components," Glickman says.

Related Topics: Peer-to-Peer
    Last edited by Animewolf267; Nov 19, 2004 at 11:50 AM. Reason: misleading
    Icy cold Toilet Paper!!!!

Newbie AUanimefan may be famous one day AUanimefan may be famous one day AUanimefan's Avatar
    Thanks
    are you serious? is there somewhere i can read about that?

thanx for the sig KayJayFromAust

M A S T E R Zui Quan may be famous one day Zui Quan may be famous one day Zui Quan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Animewolf267
    Well the US passed a law that says if u download a movie u will get fined and they made the law easy for them to convict u.

You had better come up with a reference for this or I'm going to close the thread. There is no sense discussing something if it hasn't really happened.

AO Angel ^^ angelan may be famous one day angelan may be famous one day angelan's Avatar
    Thanks

honestly it hasn't happened....they're using the same laws that apply to music to try and win the FIRST trial against movie piraters.

Not much new. The only NEW part is the Legal Action has been taken by MPAA, your RIAA equivalent for movies.

Links
    search: download movies illegal

EDIT
    I looked a bit more and there are proposed bills, amendments...but nothing went through yet.
    More
    Search: Piracy Bill
    Search: Copyright Bill
    Last edited by angelan; Nov 17, 2004 at 10:58 AM.
    -=|AnimeReflections|Live-Evil|My Trades|=-

Put your unused CPU to use for a good cause: |Folding@Home||Human Proteome Folding|

Otaku Animewolf267 may be famous one day Animewolf267 may be famous one day Animewolf267's Avatar
    Thanks

u want proof

proof is on google and all major newspapers they are starting to file lawsuits for one movie file.

AO Angel ^^ angelan may be famous one day angelan may be famous one day angelan's Avatar
    Thanks

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Animewolf267
    Well the US passed a law that says if u download a movie u will get fined and they made the law easy for them to convict u.

sorry to sound mean but....give us a DIRECT link to where it says:

"US passed a law..." ... "you will get fined and ... easy for them to convict you".

1. they did NOT pass any special law that wasn't already in place.
    2. A Lawsuit being filed and a newly passed law are two different things...
    3. Filing a lawsuit and convicting someone of a crime are ALSO two different things
    3. how is it EASY for them to convict you if they haven't even CONVICTED anyone yet?!?

and IF you read my last post I had provided links to articles relating to that. It isn't so hard for you to include some to back your word if indeed "US passed a law" regarding all this.

it will also help for you to look up the words: convicted, law, lawsuit, bill, etc in a dictionary.
    -=|AnimeReflections|Live-Evil|My Trades|=-

Put your unused CPU to use for a good cause: |Folding@Home||Human Proteome Folding|

Thanks

The specific link is...

here is the specific link if u dont belive me:

http://www.dallasnews.com/s/features....63bebab2.html

M A S T E R Zui Quan may be famous one day Zui Quan may be famous one day Zui Quan's Avatar
    Thanks
    You need some lessons in reading comprehension.

The fact that a movie industry trade group filed some lawsuits DOES NOT mean that a law was passed.
    Clan? What Clan?
    I'm the Master. I need no Clan.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast