Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Valentine's Day in Japan...

Banned Rave_Grip may be famous one day Rave_Grip may be famous one day Rave_Grip's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Valentine's Day in Japan...

I just found this article -
    It used to be Japanese women gave men a gift of chocolates on Valentine's Day.

These days, they are more likely to buy pricey chocolates costing up to $US200 a box as a treat for themselves.

"It's a small luxury that I allow myself," 39-year-old Reiko Nozawa said, who usually buys champagne truffles for herself and a few other chocolates to share with her husband.

Ms Nozawa is not alone.

Makers of 60 premium chocolate brands have set up special booths at Takashimaya, a department store in central Tokyo, where boxes of chocolates costing as much as 10,000-20,000 yen ($US84-$US168) are selling briskly, helped by Japan's economic recovery.

"There's been a trend the past two or three years for women to buy chocolates for themselves, as a sort of pat on the back for having worked hard," Takashimaya spokeswoman Yoko Yanagisawa said.

That can be on top of what they spend on others.

"I think I'll buy some premium chocolates for myself," Yoshiko Okajima said, a fashionably attired working mother, as she checked out chocolates for herself after spending 7,000 yen on her husband and eight-year-old son.

Tokyo is filled with Valentine Day chocolate adverts in the days leading up to February 14, and some manufacturers rake in about 20 per cent to 30 per cent of their annual sales in a few short weeks.

Until recently, most Japanese women bought cellophane-wrapped sweets in bulk from drugstores to give to colleagues or school friends as an "obligatory chocolate" on Valentine's Day.

A month later on "White Day" men return the favour by giving women gifts - usually sweets but sometimes lingerie.

is On Point Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi's Avatar
    Thanks

@ Rave_Grip

heehee!!! that's so cool! thank you so much for that article!!!

::SK says::

WOW! now that's informational! dude, that's like as much for an imported game for a box of candy! it better be a damn good box of candy! i suppose that we Americans belittle this holiday compared to Japan... a spending maximum of $20-$35 for a box of candy and chocolates, that are probably four times larger than the ones you can get in Japan.

O_O ....... and then after that we would practically only spend $10 or less at a movie, $20-$120 for a romantic dinner, (AD says: about $5 for condoms... ^_^ JK) and $5-$15 winning a prize at a carnival or $50 or more at the build-a-bear workshop.... as for roses, the sweethearts buy boquets of them, as the romantics only buy singles... the sweethearts tend to spend around $250 on Valentine's day (or more.... AD says: that's about right....), and the romantics spend less than $70 and use their creativity as their gifts (AD says: ..... awwww mmmaaaannnn)... becuz most romantics don't have much money and happily can do well without...

i happen to be more of a romantic who gets "sweetheart" sometimes............. i wanna buy that giant meiji chocolate candy bar at Little Tokyo.......... and probably eat 1/4 of it before i get to give it to my Darling.... (AD says: .... you're so cute!) ......... but hell, i can give more than just chocolate, public AND private works dammit!

(AD says)

^_^ and i paid all my bills too!!! yeah!!!!

Banned Rave_Grip may be famous one day Rave_Grip may be famous one day Rave_Grip's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Abu Dhabi
    @ Rave_Grip

heehee!!! that's so cool! thank you so much for that article!!!

::SK says::

WOW! now that's informational! dude, that's like as much for an imported game for a box of candy! it better be a damn good box of candy! i suppose that we Americans belittle this holiday compared to Japan... a spending maximum of $20-$35 for a box of candy and chocolates, that are probably four times larger than the ones you can get in Japan.

O_O ....... and then after that we would practically only spend $10 or less at a movie, $20-$120 for a romantic dinner, (AD says: about $5 for condoms... ^_^ JK) and $5-$15 winning a prize at a carnival or $50 or more at the build-a-bear workshop.... as for roses, the sweethearts buy boquets of them, as the romantics only buy singles... the sweethearts tend to spend around $250 on Valentine's day (or more.... AD says: that's about right....), and the romantics spend less than $70 and use their creativity as their gifts (AD says: ..... awwww mmmaaaannnn)... becuz most romantics don't have much money and happily can do well without...

i happen to be more of a romantic who gets "sweetheart" sometimes............. i wanna buy that giant meiji chocolate candy bar at Little Tokyo.......... and probably eat 1/4 of it before i get to give it to my Darling.... (AD says: .... you're so cute!) ......... but hell, i can give more than just chocolate, public AND private works dammit!

(AD says)

^_^ and i paid all my bills too!!! yeah!!!!
    Thanks Abu Dhabi, and it looks like you're having good times for VD

Cherubic Flash Pegs Champion, Chaos Theory Champion, Booya Champion, Word Up Champion, Angel Differences Champion mystical shadow angel may be famous one day mystical shadow angel may be famous one day mystical shadow angel's Avatar
    Thanks

ah gosh i know i'm kind of late... but uhm yeah... anyhow! i just wanted to let everyone know that i studied valentines in japan one lesson, as i study japanese at school, and this is what i found out;

february 14 is st. valentine's day. in christian countries this day is observed in honour of the martyr saint valentine, and it's also a day for people to send cards decorated with cupid figures and other gifts to their sweethearts.

this unique custom seems to have its roots in a campaign that a japanese chocolate manufacturer started in 1958, promoting st valentine's day as 'the day women confess their love to a man with a gift of chocolate.' the manufacturer sold heart-shaped chocolates at a department store in tokyo. only five were sold the first year, but this 'valentine sale' becme more and more popular with each passing year, and the custom of females sending chocolates to males on st valentine's day gradually took root.

today, chocolates are frequently given to members of one's own family. gift giving on st valentine's day has also become quite common among school friends and colleagues at work. aside from the 'honmei' chocolate, the chocolate that girls give to their true sweethearts, the 'giri (obligation) chocolate' to their male classmates. colleagues, and friends as a mark of their appreciation for the kindness they ordinarily receive.

what's more, in japan, st valentine's day is followed up a month later by 'white day' on march 14th. this is the day when the men who received chocolates from women on st valentine's day give gifts like candy in return. this is also a custom unique to japan, introduced and promoted by a japanese confectionery company. but, perhaps because its history is still short, white day is not yet as popular as st valentine's day.
    hope this helped you all understand a bit more about the japanese culture!
    Last edited by mystical shadow angel; Feb 17, 2006 at 05:46 PM.

Warrior Monk kedar may be famous one day kedar may be famous one day kedar's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mystical shadow angel
    ah gosh i know i'm kind of late... but uhm yeah... anyhow! i just wanted to let everyone know that i studied valentines in japan one lesson, as i study japanese at school, and this is what i found out;
    Too late there, MSA. Haha. Just kidding. Thank you for enlightening us with more information with different words. Japan one lesson? Like a class, where they teach people about Japan and stuff?

Cherubic Flash Pegs Champion, Chaos Theory Champion, Booya Champion, Word Up Champion, Angel Differences Champion mystical shadow angel may be famous one day mystical shadow angel may be famous one day mystical shadow angel's Avatar
    Thanks

what i meant was... uhm... at school, i study japanese as a seperate subject. and that particular lesson, we spent the whole lesson on the japanese way of celebrating valentine's day. and yeah... tis all good

is On Point Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi's Avatar
    Thanks

i can't thank you all enough for your kind (and very informative) responses!!!

sadly... Valentine's Day has come and gone with great success (big chocolates, singing puppets, melon soda floats, kareoke!!!)...

so to any mod that may stumble upon this humble thread...

it's okay to close it....

I'd like My First Thread to rest in peace...

^_^ sweet dreams Firstie!!!

Cheetos Overlord jaderabbit may be famous one day jaderabbit may be famous one day jaderabbit's Avatar
    Thanks

Abu Dhabi asked me to close it since it's time was over ^_^.
    Closing now.
    -Just another green eyed angel, distorted by mans love for hate-
    |THE INFAMOUS CHEETOS OVERLORD||IceNineKills|

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4