Thread: Video Codecs & Memory Use

Otaku sukotsu9 may be famous one day sukotsu9 may be famous one day sukotsu9's Avatar
    Thanks

Video Codecs & Memory Use

I just got a new laptop for work, and though it's not highest-tech, it'll do. Does anyone know if installing codecs like DivX, Xvid, DirectShowFilter (ogm) increases system RAM comsumption? On my home computer, XP Home (explorer) eats a lot of memory (full codecs installed & no viruses or spyware... just crappy XP). I want to keep my laptop (XP Pro) fairly clean, but I'd like to watch an occasional anime episode, too. I do a lot of CAD style mapping and need every kb of RAM I can get. Before another 2-3mb of RAM goes to DivX, etc., I thought I'd check in with AO.

Lost in the ethernet dragonrider2004 may be famous one day dragonrider2004 may be famous one day dragonrider2004's Avatar
    Thanks
    if you have XP i recomend using WMP (windows media player) 10. it is rather compact and i have had no problem with any of my media files (although i will admit i prefer to use WinAmp for my music....)

Student: "Umm sensei, the question on the board is wrong."
    Teacher "SHAAAADD UP!"

Otaku maverickvns may be famous one day maverickvns may be famous one day
    Thanks
    i don't believe any of these codecs stay within your resources unless it's actually used, but once you close it, it terminates itself. However, there are some players like quicktime that'll stay active even if you close them [for fast execution whenever you decide to open them again]. So you'll still get all the ram you need unless you're watching anime while doing your cad work.

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

I wouldn't worry about the codecs taking up system memory. For memory usage, it's more important to keep your Windows taskbar clean. Application that are resident on the task bar DOES TAKES UP SYSTEM MEMORY!, while the codec DLLs are only loaded when in use.

Using Video codecs will take up ALOT of CPU BANDWIDTH, much more so then system RAM, so don't expect to multi-task your video player with your CAD/CAM applications...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Lost in the ethernet dragonrider2004 may be famous one day dragonrider2004 may be famous one day dragonrider2004's Avatar
    Thanks
    yes... sadly i found this out the hard way. the codecs are too memory intensive and cpu intensive to operate on my OLD pentium pro system. it keeps skipping. so i have to watch them on my newer system....

Student: "Umm sensei, the question on the board is wrong."
    Teacher "SHAAAADD UP!"

Otaku sukotsu9 may be famous one day sukotsu9 may be famous one day sukotsu9's Avatar
    Thanks
    Great feedback. Thanks!