Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Are video games training the next generation of solider?

A Returning Soul Twitchy may be famous one day Twitchy may be famous one day Twitchy's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Are video games training the next generation of solider?

No they are not unless they are playing Full Spectrum Warrior. You know the game that was made by the US army
    http://www.animeonline.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=22388&dateline=123367  5260

ao's comrade swordfish3 may be famous one day swordfish3 may be famous one day swordfish3's Avatar
    Thanks

i think video game training is a feeble attempt at praparing someone to kill somebody else nothing can prepare you for war but tactical games like full spectrum warrior are based on a us training tool for the army which i think is ok as long as people know the difference between a game and war
    92% of teens moved to rap. if u are part of the 8% that rock out every day, put this on your sig!!!!

A Returning Soul Twitchy may be famous one day Twitchy may be famous one day Twitchy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by swordfish3
    i think video game training is a feeble attempt at praparing someone to kill somebody else nothing can prepare you for war but tactical games like full spectrum warrior are based on a us training tool for the army which i think is ok as long as people know the difference between a game and war
    Yes you must know reality from a game
    http://www.animeonline.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=22388&dateline=123367  5260

Otaku alison_faith may be famous one day alison_faith may be famous one day alison_faith's Avatar
    Thanks

uh......................no
    "The face is the mirror of the mind, and the eyes,without speaking, confess the secrets of the heart." - Saint Jerome

Otaku Stitch may be famous one day Stitch may be famous one day Stitch's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HeartlessViper
    Because if you were trained like that you wouldnt fear death or pain.

Big, key element here. The fear of death plays a huge role in everything you do in reality. So this factor here puts a crunch on the whole training by video games.

Plus, does the controller jerk your hand back when you pull the trigger? No. How about you shoulder getting bruised after you fire off a couple rounds from the shot gun? No. So, really you aren't experiencing much of anything.

I mean sure there may be fear of losing and you may need to keep your team alive and what not, but really, we are quite far from having video games train us on the realisticness of combat and life.
    In the absence of life, there is death...
    ...but in the absence of death, there is suffering.
    Sig By: Sasurai

Otaku alison_faith may be famous one day alison_faith may be famous one day alison_faith's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stitch

Big, key element here. The fear of death plays a huge role in everything you do in reality. So this factor here puts a crunch on the whole training by video games.

Plus, does the controller jerk your hand back when you pull the trigger? No. How about you shoulder getting bruised after you fire off a couple rounds from the shot gun? No. So, really you aren't experiencing much of anything.

I mean sure there may be fear of losing and you may need to keep your team alive and what not, but really, we are quite far from having video games train us on the realisticness of combat and life.

i agree with you it is true we are not trained by games they are simply entertainment.
    "The face is the mirror of the mind, and the eyes,without speaking, confess the secrets of the heart." - Saint Jerome

Otaku Stitch may be famous one day Stitch may be famous one day Stitch's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alison_faith
    i agree with you it is true we are not trained by games they are simply entertainment.

I did not say that games do not train us, because they do, just in different ways.

Though these games may not teach us how to recover from recoil, or continue on after being shot in the leg, they do teach us awareness and tactics.

The first person shooter requires you to move and look around using your perspective, so these games make you look around and find the best possible position to not get hit. This I agree they help with. Working with teams and giving out commands, these are also worked on in these games.

So, when it comes to tactics and strategic awareness, yes these games help train us. But when it comes to actual combat (firing a weapon, being wounded, fear, etc.) these games don't really come close. Even random unlucky events like a sprained ankle or a finger jamming (in which case you wouldn't be able to fire a weapon) are not portrayed in these games, but these events do happen and they could be a major turning point in your survival.

Now, if later on in life we are all fighting with huge mechs and controlling them via game controller then yes these games will be one of the best training methods... but until then, they are just a poor substitute.
    In the absence of life, there is death...
    ...but in the absence of death, there is suffering.
    Sig By: Sasurai

Otaku nexus21 may be famous one day nexus21 may be famous one day nexus21's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lighting Count
    Are frist person shoters training the next generation of soliders?It started with 007 for nintindo 64 and has made it Halo2 for the Xbox.They are games strategy games full of blood that show you how to kill some one with a gun, down to haveing a trigger.Does this mean the skillz of video games of this kind will make you a better solider?

I love Halo2

maybe. I heard that they train soliders by having them play video games. that's what I thing. And yes Halo 2 is a awesome game
    lead me not to temptation... i can find it myself

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast