Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Violent Video Games

M A S T E R Zui Quan may be famous one day Zui Quan may be famous one day Zui Quan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kastelic4444
    Yes early teens i agree, but what about someone 17?
    There are a lot of 17-year-olds who shouldn't be allowed to buy the violent (M-rated) games. Many who are on the verge of (legal) adulthood still have the emotional developments level of a 12-year-old.

If parents and game retailers and renters did their jobs and followed along with the ESRB's rating scheme (E,T,M,AO), then legislators wouldn't have to step in. First the parents failed by not playing an active role in what their children are buying and playing. After the initial uproar and the institution of the game ratings, retailers and renters failed by not sticking to stated corporate policies forbidding the sale of M-rated games to minors. Let's face it, legislative mandate is probably the only way to keep the M-rated games away from the kiddies. This way if a 10-year-old really, really wants the latest GTA, then the ultimate culpability for any adverse effects will fall upon the parents where it should be in the first place.

Let's take a quick look at a parallel case: the movie industry. In the past few years (due to legislative pressures) movie theater chains have begun cracking down on underage kids getting into R-rated movies. The result: many studios have begun making their horror movies with PG-13 ratings that are quality films instead of relying on sex and gore to get the kids into the seats. The same thing could happen in the game industry. Instead of a developer trying to push the envelope of shock, violence, and sex and still get an 'M' rating, perhaps they'll focus on building a better gameplay experience that get a 'T' rating.
    Clan? What Clan?
    I'm the Master. I need no Clan.

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zui Quan
    There are a lot of 17-year-olds who shouldn't be allowed to buy the violent (M-rated) games. Many who are on the verge of (legal) adulthood still have the emotional developments level of a 12-year-old.

If parents and game retailers and renters did their jobs and followed along with the ESRB's rating scheme (E,T,M,AO), then legislators wouldn't have to step in. First the parents failed by not playing an active role in what their children are buying and playing. After the initial uproar and the institution of the game ratings, retailers and renters failed by not sticking to stated corporate policies forbidding the sale of M-rated games to minors. Let's face it, legislative mandate is probably the only way to keep the M-rated games away from the kiddies. This way if a 10-year-old really, really wants the latest GTA, then the ultimate culpability for any adverse effects will fall upon the parents where it should be in the first place.

Let's take a quick look at a parallel case: the movie industry. In the past few years (due to legislative pressures) movie theater chains have begun cracking down on underage kids getting into R-rated movies. The result: many studios have begun making their horror movies with PG-13 ratings that are quality films instead of relying on sex and gore to get the kids into the seats. The same thing could happen in the game industry. Instead of a developer trying to push the envelope of shock, violence, and sex and still get an 'M' rating, perhaps they'll focus on building a better gameplay experience that get a 'T' rating.

Hmmm, you made some good point there. Something to think about, but on the other hand it hasnt been proven yet that violent video games cause kids to be more violent.

Newbie BrandonHulbutta may be famous one day BrandonHulbutta may be famous one day BrandonHulbutta's Avatar
    Thanks

Zui Quan is correct

I have to agree with Zui Quan on this one I know a few 30 year olds that still act like their teenagers.

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BrandonHulbutta
    I have to agree with Zui Quan on this one I know a few 30 year olds that still act like their teenagers.
    That would be me!!

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by narrator
    well a 17 year old buying a game of that calibur isn't as bad, because at that point the person is pretty much on their way out of high school and about to enter the adult world, so most of the time someone that age would be mature enough for a violent themed game.
    That might be true, but at that age they are usually still living at home. A parent has the right to decide what will be in that home. Especially since there are often other children who are younger then 17 that the parent may not want exposed to it.

I have an aunt that is very conscientious about what her kids do and does try to be involved. She assumed that her 17 year old would have good judgment on what was appropriate. 6 months later she discovered that he was playing M games with his 13 yr old brother. She didn't even know what an M rating was before then. She educated herself on the subject really fast. Now M games and similar entertainment are not allowed in the house. To enforce it she has had to throw away several CD/DVD's since informing him of the rule. The sad part is that he doesn't understand why she's upset by what he has done. I would say there is good cause for the way things are.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Thanks
    She threw them away!! She should have took them to a place like gamestop and got some money for them.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kastelic4444
    She threw them away!! She should have took them to a place like gamestop and got some money for them.
    Why? She didn't buy them. In fact it turned out some of them weren't his and he had to replace them. Didn't make him real popular with his friends. His fault for taking them home when he was told not to. Like I said, there are good reasons for the way things are.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Strange Times Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark.'s Avatar
    Thanks
    I doubt such a law will be made in this era, and it if does, blame microsoft. I'm not saying sony and even nintendo haven't had their share of M games, but Xbox I swear, it is truly the adult system. I have yet to see a DECENT game for Xbox that was E or at least T that wasn't already for another system. There's next to none. I think the law would be dumb because I'm not one of those idiots that act like a 9 year old at age 15, I've seen the worse video games can create but they still lack any excess of sexuality.

When video games get "sexier" maybe such a law will happen. For violence? Why bother?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast