Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Virtual Sword Causes Real Death

M A S T E R Zui Quan may be famous one day Zui Quan may be famous one day Zui Quan's Avatar
    Thanks

Virtual Sword Causes Real Death

Saw this on the Reuters wire recently.

Cyber-sabre provokes real death

BEIJING (Reuters) - A Shanghai online game player stabbed to death a competitor who sold his cyber-sword, the China Daily has said, creating a dilemma in China where no law exists for the ownership of virtual weapons.

Qiu Chengwei, 41, stabbed competitor Zhu Caoyuan repeatedly in the chest after he was told Zhu had sold his "dragon sabre", used in the popular online game, "Legend of Mir 3", the newspaper said a Shanghai court was told on Tuesday.

"Legend of Mir 3" features heroes and villains, sorcerers and warriors, many of whom wield enormous swords.

Qiu and a friend jointly won their weapon last February, and lent it to Zhu who then sold it for 7,200 yuan (464 pounds), the newspaper said.

Qui went to the police to report the "theft" but was told the weapon was not real property protected by law.

"Zhu promised to hand over the cash but an angry Qui lost patience and attacked Zhu at his home, stabbing him in the left chest with great force and killing him," the court was told.

The newspaper did not specify the charge against Qiu but said he had given himself up to police and already pleaded guilty to "intentional injury".

No verdict has been announced.

More and more online gamers were seeking justice through the courts over stolen weapons and credits, the newspaper said.

"The armour and swords in games should be deemed as private property as players have to spend money and time for them," Wang Zongyu, an associate law professor at Beijing's Renmin University of China, was quoted as saying.

But other experts are calling for caution. "The 'assets' of one player could mean nothing to others as they are by nature just data created by game providers," a lawyer for a Shanghai-based Internet game company was quoted as saying.

Any of you Evercrack addicts or WOW players heard of anything close to this happening in the US?
    Clan? What Clan?
    I'm the Master. I need no Clan.

ROCK N ROLL mamimi_rue may be famous one day mamimi_rue may be famous one day mamimi_rue's Avatar
    Upon a mound.. somewheres around ..here ?
    Thanks
    Oh my.... wow, some real crackheads out there... people are serious about thier crack ...
    much love to socketto
    ...what of this mongrel architect, our broken armor soon will set, past, present, and future tense...

Otaku ryke12 may be famous one day ryke12 may be famous one day
    Thanks
    I've heard of people severely pissed, but otherwise, no.

This HAS to be a first. There's no way anyone could actually lose control that badly unless they had some kind of an anger problem in the first place. Hmm... what's the conversion rate from pounds to USD, anyway? Oh, well.

Ahh... about the whole "data created, so not property" thing, can't you copyright programs? And what about music? That's just digital data at this point of technology. Photos? Same there. How about games? So if you FOLLOW the court's train of thought, then "pirating" things DOESN"T EXIST because those aren't even "intellectual property".
    Maybe I'll come up eith a sig soon... until then, be patient.

あなた& Ectoruss may be famous one day Ectoruss may be famous one day Ectoruss's Avatar
    Québec, Canada, North America, Earth, Solar system, ... ! >_<
    Thanks
    this dont surprise me. I have heard that someone playing everquest, lost his house(in the game) then commited suicide (in the real world)

This is the relation between virtual and real world. We are not far from ghost in the shell I say that.
    Coming soon.........

Otaku Lynk may be famous one day Lynk may be famous one day Lynk's Avatar
    Thanks
    That is messed up. like ryke12 said, ive heard people get really pissed because of things like that, but they havent actually attacked anyone. also if the court does say that it is data that is "just created by game providers." what is music? like ryke said it too is only data "just created" by a provider.
    92% of teens moved on to rap music.If you're part of the 8% that rock out everyday, put this in your sig

あなた& Ectoruss may be famous one day Ectoruss may be famous one day Ectoruss's Avatar
    Québec, Canada, North America, Earth, Solar system, ... ! >_<
    Thanks
    music is not really just data. You can make music and expose it everywhere. But for mere data, Game feature can only be done from a computer and be played on virtual wire.
    Coming soon.........

Devoted Otaku youth_anime_fan may be famous one day youth_anime_fan may be famous one day
    Thanks
    I wrote a paper on the subject, which is on my site.

I believe that the internet-world and the real one should intermingle and be more one. I look forward to the day where we can also seriously own property on the net, like we own property in real life. And also allow our minds to be converted into the cyber-world. And yea, I thought something like this was on a CSI episode or something... was it?

PiNk HaIr FaNaTiC Boo45 may be famous one day Boo45 may be famous one day Boo45's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ectoruss
    this dont surprise me. I have heard that someone playing everquest, lost his house(in the game) then commited suicide (in the real world)

This is the relation between virtual and real world. We are not far from ghost in the shell I say that.
    GOD now that is SERIOUSLY stupid...who the heck would suicide over some stupid game...obviously some crackhead addict who seems that its all their life is about.. i cant see how people would jus get pissed over that....i mean..i can understand getting pissed over something u worked for for about a day or two..but something like this is just not worth playing if it kills people like that

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast