View Poll Results: What are your thoughts on wall piracy?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • This is just downright underhanded...

11 68.75%
  • I'm a waller and this is injustice! I feel cheated!

5 31.25%
  • This shouldn't raise any concern at all..

1 6.25%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: WALLERS PLEASE READ: Wall Piracy?

Newbie cowboy rin may be famous one day cowboy rin may be famous one day
    Thanks
    hows it any really different then the wallers taking a pre-existing picture and claiming it's their own? You would have to create your wall paper from complete scratch to call it your own. I know where your coming from on someone taking something that you 'created', but you also took something of another creator.

People download drawings and print them off onto t-shirts and sell them. they aren't official, but so what? This guys downloading wallpaper and putting it on a sticker (this has got to be some yeti sticker if its to show everything on a wallpaper) and seilling it. Is he saying he created the art himself? Take a walk through china town...

Otaku ryke12 may be famous one day ryke12 may be famous one day
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboy rin
    hows it any really different then the wallers taking a pre-existing picture and claiming it's their own? You would have to create your wall paper from complete scratch to call it your own. I know where your coming from on someone taking something that you 'created', but you also took something of another creator.

People download drawings and print them off onto t-shirts and sell them. they aren't official, but so what? This guys downloading wallpaper and putting it on a sticker (this has got to be some yeti sticker if its to show everything on a wallpaper) and seilling it. Is he saying he created the art himself? Take a walk through china town...
    I agree. I might be taking this a step right into accusation, but wallers steal as well. How many wallers have permission to use those images? 0-10, at the most. I would be surprised if there were even one waller with permission, though. Not to say that I'm blaming wallers, I love what you guys do, and wish I had the patience to do it, too.
    Ironically, there's another thread about govt stopping illegal downloads, and the general attitude on there is "if they don't catch me, too bad for them". Also, they say that the industry doesn't lose money. Well, the wallers never got money from their walls in the first place, so...
    Maybe I'll come up eith a sig soon... until then, be patient.

Legendary Otaku Sinistra may be famous one day Sinistra may be famous one day Sinistra's Avatar
    Thanks
    All Images on the internet (scans, fanart, Wallpapers,) are inder an act called "Fair Use act" This act gives Develiopers such as Anime Artists Graphic design people the right to use copyrighted work. As long as they dont take credit for a scan. Wich most wallers don't The GFX artist isn't taking credit for the scan but the work They dit to inprove the scan. So just uploading a Raw image is Copyright infringement but altering the image(s) gives the creator of the altered image Copyright privalages.

Otaku zeine may be famous one day zeine may be famous one day zeine's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Juice
    Yeah if they are making a profit they should tell the artist first and make a deal or something that way everyone wins YAY!
    Quote Originally Posted by youth_anime_fan
    disheartenes my respect for such people who actually make a go at gaining money off art.

Leagal ways of doing that should be practiced.

Yes, there really should be an agreement in terms of the artist and the manufacturer... That would be best and fair... Plus, there would be no problem otherwise...

Quote Originally Posted by cowboy rin

Quote Originally Posted by ryke12
    I agree. I might be taking this a step right into accusation, but wallers steal as well. How many wallers have permission to use those images? 0-10, at the most. I would be surprised if there were even one waller with permission, though. Not to say that I'm blaming wallers, I love what you guys do, and wish I had the patience to do it, too.
    Ironically, there's another thread about govt stopping illegal downloads, and the general attitude on there is "if they don't catch me, too bad for them". Also, they say that the industry doesn't lose money. Well, the wallers never got money from their walls in the first place, so...
    Both of you have EXTREMELY GOOD POINTS... And yes, it is true that wallers don't actually have permission or authorization of the images they use... Which makes you think, it would be more proper for wallers to place disclaimers (for the characters/images) on their works, wouldn't it? Just like fanfics and the sort...

But still, I'm not being biased or anything, but some walls take, fairly, an enormous amount of work to create... There is always that factor of effort, whether taking hours or even days to make... Don't get me wrong because I've never been one, for the record... Although I really envy how everything's cleanly put together and well-made...

Haha, yes, the infamous chinatown... I have to admit, bootlegs are very prominent now... But I posted this thread because I have felt some concern since the walls/fanarts WERE FROM OUR COMMUNITY and made by our very own members... I really admire the beautiful walls being made here, and I myself could not make such wonderful things so if you look at it at a waller's perspective... it would simply be unfair...

If you think about it though, some walls and doujinshi are not exclusively found here so you guys prove to be right...

Also, ryke12, I'd just like to point out that not all images in walls come from original/"creator-made" scans... Some images come from doujinshi... And I know quite a few wallers who actually ask permission for use from the artists personally... How about we call it 1 out of 10 the most? And yes, wallers never got or gave money for the walls/images... But they sacrificed time to make themes and bgs work for our desktops...

I'm very impressed though... And it's great that both of you think outside of the box and present this sort of opinion (which is in fact very true) instead of going with the flow of this deed being an injustice to MERELY the wallers/doujinshi artists themselves...

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Katsuhito
    All Images on the internet (scans, fanart, Wallpapers,) are inder an act called "Fair Use act" This act gives Develiopers such as Anime Artists Graphic design people the right to use copyrighted work. As long as they dont take credit for a scan. Wich most wallers don't The GFX artist isn't taking credit for the scan but the work They dit to inprove the scan. So just uploading a Raw image is Copyright infringement but altering the image(s) gives the creator of the altered image Copyright privalages.
    That's very comforting to hear... So does it mean that whoever is distributing the stickers, really is doing something illegal then?
    Last edited by zeine; Feb 08, 2005 at 11:24 PM.

Banned-looks like you were beat hunh little kid the_weird_one may be famous one day the_weird_one may be famous one day the_weird_one's Avatar
    Thanks
    i chose This is just downright underhanded... i dont really have much more to say, except that what i chose speaks for itself!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2