View Poll Results: will earth fight over water?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • FIGHT!

2 66.67%
  • *~peace^_^

1 33.33%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: War over Water? Is it close?

Devoted Otaku youth_anime_fan may be famous one day youth_anime_fan may be famous one day
    Thanks

Arrow War over Water? Is it close?

If any one of you has seen "last Exile" you might know that there is a huge involvement in getting into wars over water. In the anime, water is categorized into four groups:
    1)first water
    2)second water
    3)third water
    4)dirty water

Since clean water costs an enormous amount of money, most get sick off dirty water. As we are using our fresh water supply now, there might be a time in the future where this senerio might take place in reality. Wars over water might happen. (and is happening in iraq-iran)

So... AWNSER THIS!

What do you think will happen to the earth if such a war broke out?

Or... Will it even happen?

Otaku Rodion may be famous one day Rodion may be famous one day Rodion's Avatar
    Thanks
    First off, the earth's surface is made up of over 70% water. In short, there will never be a lack of water*. Now, yes, the issue here is drinkable/potable water. Well, that's where technology and human ingenuity comes in. Right now we have fully functional desalination plants all over the world. And more will be created in the future. So, unless you kill all the scientists right now who are researching better means of desalination (the process of removing salt and other substances to produce clean, drinking water), the future is bright when it comes to water. Another issue is transporting water from the coast to the inland areas. But then transport is transport--human simply have to create better ways to transport huge amounts of water "uphill" rather than "downhill" (i.e. like ancient Roman aqueducts). Pipelines etc. that pump/carry water inland are not impossible to build.

So my stand is NO: There will never be a war over water. Man will only remain warlike as long as he still feels the need for these three "G's"...Guns, Gold, and Glory. I personally believe that somehow, if mankind as a whole gives up these three things, the world will be a more peaceful place to live in.

-RODION

*well yes, in about 25 billion years or so, the sun will undergo a slow growth to become a "red giant"...and thus while it is growing to this immense size, the oceans of the earth will start to boil away because of the excessive heat...but you don't get to live up to 25 billion years old right hehehe so that's not our worry.
    Last edited by Rodion; Jan 13, 2005 at 09:08 PM.
    "Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to think at all."
    - Hypatia of Alexandria

Newbie HRob may be famous one day HRob may be famous one day HRob's Avatar
    Thanks
    That's funny i just a read a paper that a friend showed me, that talks about the end of he world, and all the wars and catastrophes that are abour to happen...anyways i'm not going to get into that.
    But it talked about about how there is going to be big earthquakes, plagues, and tsunamis. It pretty much said that with all of these catastrophes there would be a shortage of drinkable water; and that some nations might star wars to control this waters, until everyone gets back on there feet and starts desalinating the ocean water..i guees.

My point, i guees it's i think is possible that people could start a war over clean water, but something really major (like what it's stated above) has to happen for that to happen. Right now we have that technology to clean the water, so there is no need to fight over it. Besides there is a lot of water to be clean for everyone.

ROCK N ROLL mamimi_rue may be famous one day mamimi_rue may be famous one day mamimi_rue's Avatar
    Upon a mound.. somewheres around ..here ?
    Thanks
    I was talking to a neighbor about this recently about a couple months ago, and he said that we would of paying for water instead or our cars... and it really makes sense. With all these babies popping out everywhere I mean the Earth won't run out of water, it will just be the most expensive thing on Earth in a century or two, because everyone needs it to live, right. Ehhh, I agree with the both of you, exactly.

I wish we would have that law of only being able to have one kid, like in China, to help with this *ggrrr* overpopulation. People are so ignorant. >_<
    much love to socketto
    ...what of this mongrel architect, our broken armor soon will set, past, present, and future tense...

Otaku Rodion may be famous one day Rodion may be famous one day Rodion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mamimi_rue
    I was talking to a neighbor about this recently about a couple months ago, and he said that we would of paying for water instead or our cars... and it really makes sense. With all these babies popping out everywhere I mean the Earth won't run out of water, it will just be the most expensive thing on Earth in a century or two, because everyone needs it to live, right. Ehhh, I agree with the both of you, exactly.

I wish we would have that law of only being able to have one kid, like in China, to help with this *ggrrr* overpopulation. People are so ignorant. >_<
    Overpopulation is actually a myth. In the current global perspective, with our current world dominated by this democratic, free-enterprise world, yes, it is overpopulated. But...do you know that if all the people in the world were placed together, shoulder to shoulder, on an island, the entire human population would fit on an island smaller than EASTER ISLAND!

What does this mean? Basically, there is an unequal distribution of livable, arable land all over the world. But then with all the megacorporations controlling over large expanses of land, then how are you going to give all that "corporate-owned-land" (meant for building factories, assembly plants, oil refineries etc.) to those who need land to dwell on and grow food on? I'm going to stop talking now, because some might view me as a radical LOL but still, I go with this idea--there is no such thing as "overpopulation"--land use is simply not maximized and put to efficient use in the current world we live in.

-RODION
    "Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to think at all."
    - Hypatia of Alexandria

Newbie BBoyPHoeNiX1337 may be famous one day BBoyPHoeNiX1337 may be famous one day BBoyPHoeNiX1337's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodion
    Overpopulation is actually a myth. In the current global perspective, with our current world dominated by this democratic, free-enterprise world, yes, it is overpopulated. But...do you know that if all the people in the world were placed together, shoulder to shoulder, on an island, the entire human population would fit on an island smaller than EASTER ISLAND!
    OK, now THAT'S an interesting fact... But yeah, I don't believe there'll ever come a time where the earth will erupt in war over water. And even if there was, I'm betting we would kill each other off long before that happens with our big bad nuclear toys... Like that old saying... I know not how World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones...
    So yeah, don't worry about there ever being a war over water. Before it ever comes to that, we'd all probably already be dead.
    ~|*BBoy|*|PHoeNiX*|~
    Unless I grip the sword, I can not protect you. While gripping the sword, I can not embrace you.

Self Banned and Loving it narrator may be famous one day narrator may be famous one day narrator's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mamimi_rue
    I mean the Earth won't run out of water, it will just be the most expensive thing on Earth in a century or two, because everyone needs it to live, right.
    im with ya on that one....

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodion
    -RODION
    Yes, but most people don't realize that. Overpopulation is a problem in the same countries that also have difficulty with water, lo-tech third world countries. In countries where technology is readily availible to the common man food can be produced at a surplus without difficulty. The same is true of water.

Desalification plants, purifiers, etc all make water readily availible but only if the country has the technology to use it on a mass level. There is even a new invention that can provide drinking water for a single household, from air. It's actaully already on the market and those who have it love it. They say they have never run out and the water tastes wonderful. But it is and will be very expensive for a few years to come. Even when the price comes down to where we will see it in the retail stores it will still be unlikely to be availible world wide because of the technological and economic gap between countries.

Will there be wars over water? Probably, just not amoung countries who can make their own. There have been wars over water in the past after all and until the entire world reaches a technological base where it no longer becomes a priority I'm sure it continue to be an issue.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast