Thread: Web host question

Veteran False Truth is making a name for themselves False Truth is making a name for themselves False Truth's Avatar
    Thanks

Web host question

Okay, for those of you who know good web services I need some answers. I'm choosing between three hosts that offer different deals. So I'll describe what each one offers, and you guys tell me who's best.

1st offer:

unlimited space
    my own personal ads are allowed
    browser upload
    Advanced/Basic editor
    FormMail, Guestbook, Msgboard pre-scripts
    Unlimited bandwidth
    Statistics
    Password protected files

2nd offer:

unlimited space
    FTP upload
    CGI, SSI, Perl scripting
    Unlimited bandwidth
    POP3 Email

3rd offer:

1000 MB space
    my own personal ads are allowed
    FTP upload
    PHP Scripting
    2000 mb bandwidth
    MySQL database

Now in my site, I will include a forum and a gallery. I want to know which of the three best suits what I will do.

This signature is within the limits upheld by the forum rules. Unless the rules change, do not remove.

M A S T E R Zui Quan may be famous one day Zui Quan may be famous one day Zui Quan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Most decent forum and gallery scripts are written in PHP and require some sort of database. Not all are like that, but the majority are. Therefore you should choose a hosting plan that has the items you require.

Also, there is no such thing as "unlimited space" and "unlimited bandwidth." Any host who advertises that is lying through their teeth.
    Clan? What Clan?
    I'm the Master. I need no Clan.

Veteran False Truth is making a name for themselves False Truth is making a name for themselves False Truth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks for that helpful info. What's the difference between browser uploading and FTP? Also which one is easier, or better to use?

This signature is within the limits upheld by the forum rules. Unless the rules change, do not remove.

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

If you don't know the difference between FTP and browser upload, then browser upload (you know... a webpage with a 'Browse' button for uploading files) would be better for you.

FTP is more efficient at uploading multiple files at a time, but you either have to be comfortable with a command line interface, or have the Microsoft IE addon patch that makes FTP access look like a extension of the file browser...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

M A S T E R Zui Quan may be famous one day Zui Quan may be famous one day Zui Quan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LenMiyata
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

FTP is more efficient at uploading multiple files at a time, but you either have to be comfortable with a command line interface, or have the Microsoft IE addon patch that makes FTP access look like a extension of the file browser...

If you want to upload things like a gallery script or a forum script, you might want to check for an FTP client with a fairly easy-to-use interface (I use LeechFTP). In my experiences with browser-based uploaders you can't upload multiple files and folders. Instead you have to do the upload one folder at a time. This sucks if you plan on using a forum system like phpBB which has hundreds of files scattered over dozens of folders.
    Clan? What Clan?
    I'm the Master. I need no Clan.

Thanks
    Ok, so I can just download the microsoft IE patch and it can help me better with FTP if that's the case...

Legendary Otaku Sinistra may be famous one day Sinistra may be famous one day Sinistra's Avatar
    Thanks
    if your looking for a good FTP client www.smartftp.com is your best bet

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Katsuhito
    if your looking for a good FTP client www.smartftp.com is your best bet
    Thanks, I'll use it. I think I might have found a better host offering 3000 mb of space....