Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Weight loss

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by False Truth
    Bluetigerfour, love is love whether thin or big. The way you describe some love being based on looks isn't really called love. Most people lose weight because they want to make themselves happy before making others happy, a thing of self-fulfillment, that's the key. Also, media existed even before televsions and such. When people would paint a woman, it isnt a big woman, it's a thin beautiful woman. Even older newspapers show women that look good and thin, and ads use them as examples. So yes, media always existed, just in different forms, ways, and patterns, to evovle into the love/hate thing we have today.
    Not actually true. The modern media is responsible for the steriotype of thin being beautiful. Before that the amount of weight considered beautiful tended to cycle depending on what people modeled their idea of beauty on. If you actually go to the classic art the women are volumptuous. There are still places in the world where they look at our models and believe they are being starved (imagine that), to them it's extreamly unattractive. In fact, previous to Victorian times when self- mastery became such a big deal a woman with a little plumpness was considered the ideal. A man who was plump was considered even more handsome because it ment he was a good provider. Now he would just be considered fat.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Otaku Electrastar may be famous one day Electrastar may be famous one day Electrastar's Avatar
    Thanks
    Plenty of interesting replies in this thread. It's a touchy subject because many people have so many thoughts on this issue. Sure, the media isn't helping at all...but truth be told, if you believe evreything you hear on tv, you won't live a very happy life now will you. I am overweight, have been all my life....but I'm pretty sure that I'm more fit than some skinny people.

Why?

Because, one day in highschool, we were doing cross country running...and I couldn't keep up...Sure, I thought my weight was the cause of it, so I began to work out. And I have been ever since. I try to work out three or four times a week for about an hour. Sometimes I have the energy for it, sometimes, I have to kick myself in the butt to get out of bed, but I always feel better when I come home and take a warm shower after the workout, I feel proud of myself.

I'm 22 now and I haven't gained weight in I would say 2 years. I don't really loose weight anymore, but my body is much more toned that it was. I watch what I eat but treat myself to the occaisional chocolate or chips, but I don't stuff my face in it all the time. I think people who make themselves sick to be thin are desperate and let me say it, just stupid...I know that changing your lifestyle takes days and even years of ajustment and compromise...but I would rather to that than seeing my health deteriorate and risking my life just to please the public eye.

Yeah, some people still stare at me sometimes, but I stopped caring a long time ago.

Otaku Dragor may be famous one day Dragor may be famous one day Dragor's Avatar
    Thanks
    As for Arrianna's comments I must say that she is completely correct about how the past views on wait, as well as the views from other cultures.

I myself don't look at wait as a real big issue. I mean I as long as I feel comfortable then that's all I care about. Although I wouldn't consider myself overweight, and medically I'm exactly what I should be as far as weight.

The only time that weight is an issue to me with someone of the opposite sex is when they're just incredably overweight. I mean when they're far past obesity. There is an actual measurement for what would be considered overweight, and obesity but I doubt we go around finding out how much of a percentage of each person's body weight is fat, so we measure it by the size that the person appears to be, and how developed their muscles are. So my perceptio of what is well pat obesity is different than what others may see it as. Though my views on what is over obesity would probably always be correct by scientific terms, haha. All and all because of what I've grown to accept as good looking I prefer women that would be considered "skinny", though I do find people to be to skinny at times. And the things people do to loose weight can apaul me at times, as they are harming themselves even more than they would if they were overweight which in most cases they are not.
    Dreams come true, but nightmares do too.

Life isn't a game, it's just a referal to the time you exist on this playground called Earth.

The Antagonist Eriadd may be famous one day Eriadd may be famous one day
    Thanks
    Heh, I'm about 5'8" or so, and I weigh about 360 pounds. I'm big. I'm mean. But most importantly, I'm happy. Sure, people tell me that I need to lose weight, and tell me that it's not healthy, but honestly, I don't eat fast food, I excercise, and I try not to drink soda all the time. Nothin' changes, and I'm happy with that. All those people who think that being fat is bad for you are probably right, but I don't care. I'm happy with me, and that's what matters.

Yeah, I know I won't live past 40, but heck... it's not that big of a deal. I'll die and nobody will notice. Might as well be happy until then.

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eriadd

Yeah, I know I won't live past 40, but heck... it's not that big of a deal. I'll die and nobody will notice. Might as well be happy until then.
    *salutes Eriadd*

Otaku Purplefire may be famous one day Purplefire may be famous one day Purplefire's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hikari Sakurai
    Not all "big people" have issues. I know a lot of big people who are the happiest people in the world. Sure some people are emotional eaters, but not all of them are. Oh... and thin people don't have issues?

Everyone has issues... not matter what size they are. We are all human.

Also, what about people who are overweight due to medical conditions?
    One of the sterotypes I hate more than anything is the assumption that all overwieght people eat too much crap, don't exercise and are lazy.
    That is SO NOT true.

I'm overwieght myself, I admit that. I weigh about 90 and I'm about 5'5 (kilograms that is people... have no idea how many lbs I would be)
    I have a medical condition that makes me big. I can't help it, I've tried losing weight but I've been told by my doctor that it's going to be really really hard, nearly impossible to do it. So I've spent the last two years or so trying to expect my body for what it is... and it's hard when so many people make assumptions on me because of my weight. I hate being looked at like I'm a monster when I just want to eat my lunch. I hardly eat anything, I don't eat the healthiest most times, but I work five days a week in a very physically active job. I'm never still for long, yet I'm still big.

Please don't assume things unless you've ever experienced it for yourself.
    Bravo for that. My parents are both overweight. You can be Overweight and happy and it doesn't mean your lazy and all you do is eat. My mom runs everywhere, and doesn't eat that much and she's still overweight. If you have a slow metabolism it slows down that process, even for me its harder to lose weight. I'm not overweight but i know if i gain it, its hard for me to ever lose it. So thank you for that post. thank god finally someone speaks up. Being overweight does not mean your lazy and you cant work!

80% Evil l 5% Insane l 15% Addict l 0% Lack of Guinea Pigs
    lAnime TalklAnime OnlinelOtaku BoardslMini Tokyo

Newbie Winter may be famous one day Winter may be famous one day Winter's Avatar
    Thanks
    Balemic (sp?) and Anorexic (sp?) is a sickness. People who have a tendancy to do such things is due to low self esteem. Its all psychological. Its bad, yes, but eating more isnt the answer either. These people need to find why they are doing this, root it out, and talk to someone about it.

Newbie Brilliant Brunette may be famous one day Brilliant Brunette may be famous one day Brilliant Brunette's Avatar
    Thanks
    Well, I'm 5'8 and I weigh 124lbs. And I was thinking about getting that supermodel figure, so I would have to drop like 10 or so pounds. Which would take a lot of work for lazy old me. But I think as long as you are able to live your life happily skinny or not, that you are fine just the way you are.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast