Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: We're all living in a Prozac Nation

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: We're all living in a Prozac Nation

Grumble Grumble Grumble
    Quote Originally Posted by N.Y._Soulja
    ok if what you say is true, then why in my country there is no such thing as ADD?
    Just out of curiosity, what is the total percentage of kids who graduate from High School in your country??? The answer may explain why there is no such thing as ADD...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Devoted Otaku N.Y._Soulja may be famous one day N.Y._Soulja may be famous one day N.Y._Soulja's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna
    Is there no cases of it or is there no recognized cases of it?
    The two are very different.

If I may use a few examples?

I have a relative (passed on now) who had a nervouse breakdown during WWII while her husband was off fighting the war. She broke down so completely that she had almost no memories of 3-4 months that she spent in the hospitol and suffered from depression for the rest of her life. Back then though nervouse breakdowns were not considered a legitimate mental condition. It "wasn't a problem". Her husband divorced her and her own family told her that she should just "get over it".

On a more recent note my sister has CFS. It has only been properly medically diagnosed in the last 10 years. She's had it for alot longer then that. When she finally got a diagnosis of what was wrong with her she broke down and cried because for years she had been told, "you're just a hypocondriac", "it's all in your head", "if you were more disiplined this wouldn't be a problem", and "when are you going to get over it". Now, finally, she's getting better.

So just because you don't know of cases doesn't mean they don't exist. Especially if where you live it's "not a problem" and they "just need to get over it".
    I never said about them getting over it, I said, that they need to be straightened out, that is waht I said. I'm trying to say, that your parents need to be strict on you, for instance, When I was in NY, I visited a friend's house from school. This guy had no respect for his mother, and he supposedly had ADD, but I wanted to help him. Now in NY there are a lot of Dominicans, so I talked to his mom. THey went to DR for about, four months, when he came beck, he became a home, nad you know what, he is A b+ student, he went from an F student to a B student in four months, now tell me, can pills do that? NO! a good threat like "If you don't do good in school, I'm taking you to DR and brake your legs" ought to do it. ALso LEn my country is very poor, there are a lot of homeless ppl. The treets aren't done in most places. Some ppl live in incomplete houses over there. Now if you look at pictures of the Dominican Republic, there are some resprts, it is beautiful.......... but we are poor. Actually we are so poor, that the Goverment cuts off the lights for about 3 to 5 hours a day
    You should stop talking about your dreams, and start making them.

http://kuv319.tumblr.com/

There is something so human in the desire to never give up, while at the same time, never giving it your all?

Newbie Neco_Kalen may be famous one day Neco_Kalen may be famous one day Neco_Kalen's Avatar
    Thanks

Anyhu..

Anti-depression drugs are way over-prescribed, its ridiculous whats being given out to people ho don't need them. My friend and neighbour has been given so many different drugs its unbelieveable. She's only just turned 16 and she's already on drugs for 18 year olds such as valium and god knows what else!! and none of it has mad a blind bit of difference, because she doesn't need them.

I had the exact same sypmtons as she does 3 years ago, slightly psychotic and depressed enough to self harm, i got over it pretty quickly, the attention she's recieiveing is maing it so much worse! Then again imay just be annoyed beause i had to help myself, nobody else noticed really.

But i do know ADD does exist. Another of my friends was diagnosed with this, he used to becme furious at times, and just completely lose it, one of the scriest things ever, but ever since they put him him on drugs he's much calmer and happier. Many people do need the medication but sometimes doctors just go nuts with it. Like, here 5 year olkd, have a prozac tablet, make ya happy!!

But i also think lots of other drugs have been overused and prescribed.These whole super bugs have come into existance because we've sterilized ourselves, not a good thing. sooner or later our immune system is just gonna go capoot! but thats another topic.

Newbie Elfy may be famous one day Elfy may be famous one day Elfy's Avatar
    Thanks

I disagree with taking them.
    *laughs* which is funny cuz I've been on them for almost 2 years. I will admit I'm almost off them. I used to be on the igest dosage, now I'm down to the lowest. But the thing is...I may hate taking them, but they do work.
    *Signature WAY WAY WAAAAY too big, maximum size is 450x110, please make the neccessary ajustments. -AO Staff*

Newbie oOLittleFairyOo may be famous one day oOLittleFairyOo may be famous one day oOLittleFairyOo's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Meiwaku
    Second of all, there has always been a big debate on how ADD and ADHD is over diagnosed and every hyper child now a days is put on it despite the medication's harmful effects. Do you think it's over diagnosed or do people really need it?
    one of my best friends (and her younger sister) have been diagnosied with ADD/ADHD (i dont remeber the difference). i do agree that it IS diagnosed a little too freqetly but i've known my friend since kindergarten and she and DEFINATLY her sister are my living proff that some people really do need the medication. my friend cannot take the medication anymore b/c of a new development of epilepsia (spellling?) last summer,but she does not seem to need it as much as she did in grade school. she had stopped taking her medication as much b4 last summer so i dont think the epilepsia was cuased by it.

~i dont need the earth...i have a place in the sky~
    thanks socketto 4 the sig

Otaku Meiwaku may be famous one day Meiwaku may be famous one day Meiwaku's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by N.Y._Soulja
    Jesus Chrsit the Goverment doesn't understnad that pills won't do a damn thing! ADD is BS, the child just needs to a old fashined ass wuppin. THa's it, this country they don't allow that, that is why ther is such a thing called ASS, but it is not real!!!!!!!!!!!! The child needs to be straightened out!!!!!!
    I'm curious to know why you think ADD is BS. What makes you think this? And how do you know your country doesn't have ADD?

I didn't find any statistics but I did find that the Dominican Republic does use ADHD drugs on it's patients. So there must be instances of ADD/ADHD.
    To date, Strattera has been used by more than two million patients worldwide since it first became available in January 2003. It is currently available in Australia, Argentina, Colombia, Dominican Republic, Mexico, Peru, the United States, the United Kingdom and Venezuela. Strattera is not yet commercially available in Canada, however it is expected to be available by the end of March 2005.
    ( http://www.pslgroup.com/dg/248ee6.htm )
    The article is about Strattera an ADD/ADHD drug that is not a stimulant.

Goverment doesn't understnad that pills won't do a damn thing!
    On the contrary, if ADD and ADHD is real and does what it claims to do to a person then the pills do work.

I believe that ADD/ADHD is very over diagnosed and parents who have bad kids who don't listen to them and are always hyper and acting psycho demand their child goes on ADHD medication. They just want a quick fix because the behaviour of their child is what they have been lead to believe is ADHD. And I am sure many doctors are just prescribing medication to A) Keep the parents happy, and B) They don't know anything about ADHD or how to diagnose it.

Say your kid wasn't hyper at all, they were quiet, day dreamers, inattentive, were really good and focused on things they liked but had little interest in school and couldn't stay attentive enough on any one thing to get good enough marks. Yet they were good quiet kids with their "Heads in the clouds". Now if your child was like that would you be rushing to the doctor and throwing them on ADHD medication? No. But that child probably more so than not has ADHD. ADHD is not so much about the bad hyper out of control behaviour as it is the inability to pay attention to any one thing long enough for it to get through.

And there is a huge difference between not wanting to pay attention and not being able to pay attention. Boring or not, you can still pay attention to something long enough to retain the jist of it. If not then nobody would be able to pay attention to anything remotely boring in school but people do. There are kids who, no matter how hard they try they can't pay attention long enough to even remember what was said 5 seconds later. Their brain jumps somewhere else entirely with out their consent. They can't focus, they want to learn and pay attention, but they can't. Therefore they can get the marks they want.
    All the ADHD medication does is stimulate your brain to sharpen your attention span, helps you focus and concentrate and with that you can pay attention and get the marks you deserve.

If people think that ADHD drugs will make their kids behave or become smarter students they are sadly mistaking. All the drugs do is make them more attentive so they can pretty much do what they were trying to do before but couldn't because they had problems concentrating. If your kid doesn't want to do school work no amount of ADD medication is going to make them any better at it.

If your kid behaves badly chances are it's either a) because they are frustrated because they have untreated ADD or B) They are just bad. More than likely they are just bad. Unless they have a severe problem concentrating they don't have ADHD.

ADHD has been stereotyped as this 'label" given to hyper active out of control kids, when really it's just a disorder that's definition has been misinterpreted. Schools and parents are looking at the wrong kids and saying they have ADHD based on the stereotypical ideas about it. The fact that the first two words are "Attention Deficit" have been lost. It's turned the disorder into some what of a joke and people who actually have it aren't even getting diagnosed with it because they aren't showing the stereotypical symptoms.
    - "Ash: Gimme some sugar, baby."-

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3