Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What Good is a Message if it is Forced

Keeping you in suspense! The King of Fashion may be famous one day The King of Fashion may be famous one day The King of Fashion's Avatar
    Thanks

What Good is a Message if it is Forced

Today, during my Driver's ED class, we were learning about how drunk driving was bad, and my coach told our class a story when he had a guy who would come in for his classes, and lecture them about how drunk driving was wrong, since he did it and got in a lot of trouble for it. He had to do community service by day, and jail by night. One thing that bothered my coach was that the guy only came in because he was forced to by order. My question is do you think a message, such as the one this man was trying to tell about how bad drunk driving was, means anything if it is forced and not from the good will and conscience of the person telling it?

~Kiss
    Last edited by The King of Fashion; Dec 14, 2005 at 07:57 PM.
    ~Praise me! Extol me! My beauty is unparalleled!~
    Thanks for the signature, Zackraa It's fashion-tastic

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: What Good is a Message if it is Forced

I can understand the concern but..... when I was in highschool alot of my friends wouldn't believe something was bad for them or just plain stupid unless someone who had actually done it told them why and what had happened to them.

So if the guy is sincere I have no problem with it even if it's required community service, or otherwise.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Newbie SamIam may be famous one day SamIam may be famous one day
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The King of Fashion
    Today, during my Driver's ED class, we were learning about how drunk driving was bad, and my coach told our class a story when he had a guy who would come in for his classes, and lecture them about how drunk driving was wrong, since he did it and got in a lot of trouble for it. He had to like community service by day, and jail by night. One thing that bothered my coach was that the guy only came in because he was forced to by order. My question is do you think a message, such as the one this man was trying to tell about how bad drunk driving was, means anything if it is forced and not from the good will and conscience of the person telling it?

~Kiss
    In a perfect world, reason, logic and compassion would be the means to convince others of something ... unfortunately in OUR world, other factors interfere with this ideal ... thus when it comes to a potential life threatening situation, sometimes the threat of force is needed to "motivate" the unreasonable, the unwise or those incapable of reason.

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks

Whoever decided to get a guy to give a speech as a punishment is using their ass to think. Yes of course the school can save some money and what not by using a guy who got caught DUI, but there are way better ways. No matter how good his little lecture is, without enthusiasm it will always miss out something.

You wanna know what a better alternative is? How about showing that beautiful lady who got hit by a drunk driver and now has a face that looks like a skull.

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

Newbie SamIam may be famous one day SamIam may be famous one day
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pyoro-pyoro
    Whoever decided to get a guy to give a speech as a punishment is using their ass to think. Yes of course the school can save some money and what not by using a guy who got caught DUI, but there are way better ways. No matter how good his little lecture is, without enthusiasm it will always miss out something.

You wanna know what a better alternative is? How about showing that beautiful lady who got hit by a drunk driver and now has a face that looks like a skull.

.... that would work ....

Idiot Impaler Agent Orange 216 may be famous one day Agent Orange 216 may be famous one day Agent Orange 216's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pyoro-pyoro
    She's still beautiful in my eyes! Hubba hubba!

Anyhow, while it's true that without the enthusiasm it's less likely to get through to the students, it's also easier to understand and believe what a person says when they're speaking from experience. I guess it all depends on how you look at it. It also depends what exactly the experience is that this guy is talkin' about. If he simply got caught drinkin' and drivin' and is pissed off about goin' to jail, then there's nothin' much for him to say except "Jail sucks". However, if he killed a woman and a baby or something of the sort; he's probably got a horrifying tale to share and can tell you how it is to have to live with that fact from first-hand experience.
    The Last Remaining Realist.

See Dick Buy Beer, See Dick not Tip, See Dick try again, See Dick Go thirsty. Moral of the Story: Don't be a Dick.

Newbie teebow may be famous one day teebow may be famous one day
    Thanks

i know he's being forced to do it but wouldnt he just have to stand up on stage and say " this is what happens if you drink and drive, you end up with no free will" any way, him being up on stage in that situation would make me less inclined to listen to him because well it just seem sort of hypocritical -- dont drink and drive... ive done it .. its bad----

hmmmmm
    Destination is a State of Mind

is On Point Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi's Avatar
    Thanks

it's no good when a message is forced...it's like hitting a brick wall with a really good pie... it just ruins the pie and the effect makes the brick wall look stupid...

i'm all for a friendly suggestion or three, but if the person is hell-bent on doing something stupid, then they're going to do it no matter how many times you try to talk them out of it...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast