Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What makes an anime a success?

Banned tasukuchan may be famous one day tasukuchan may be famous one day tasukuchan's Avatar
    Thanks

What makes an anime a success?

What makes an anime a success? Animes in Japan and the US have entirely seperate likelihoods of becoming popular. My friend and I brainstormed up 5 ideas for what makes animes "pop-classics".

1.) Fan fiction
    2.) Advertisement
    3.) Vending
    4.) Geographic placement
    5.) Visual appeal

I still don't understand it though...For instance IkkiTousen was a great anime and it never really gained popularity like it should have! Lunar Legend Tsukihime, Serial Experiments Lain: all should have been more popular. It's just personal opinion, but yeah...

Newbie Ominae Yu may be famous one day Ominae Yu may be famous one day Ominae Yu's Avatar
    In my own little place, but its Okay they know me there.
    Thanks

Re: What makes an anime a success?

It needs to have a since of liking in the name too. People take one glance at a series and see if they like it or not. For me it takes a storyline that can last long and a lot of characters for me to like. Oh Yeah, and lots of action too.
    sigg is too tall, minor error to fix~ jaderabbit

Shinigami awate te ken wareru

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble
    Quote Originally Posted by tasukuchan
    I still don't understand it though...For instance IkkiTousen was a great anime and it never really gained popularity like it should have! Lunar Legend Tsukihime, Serial Experiments Lain: all should have been more popular. It's just personal opinion, but yeah...
    I've been watching the IkkiTousen DVDs, and it's easy to understand why it didn't become popular. It does have high quality animation of the fight scenes, but take away the fight scenes and the fanservice, and what do you have left??? There's no story plot worth remembering. This seems to apply to nearly all the school fighting series and girls with guns series. Their aimed for a narrow specific niche market of hobbiest, but without a story line, their unable to break out into the main stream audience...

There have been other series that have been heavily pushed by US distributors, but have ended up as a flop in the market (the movies 'Sin' and 'Spriggin', and the series 'Hand Maid May') Most of the anime series that have become popular ('Ghost in the Shell SAC', 'Full Metal Alchemist', 'Gundam Wing', 'Gundam Seed', 'Cowboy Bebop') have done so because in addition to having great action scenes, also have a great story that justifies the action.
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Banned tasukuchan may be famous one day tasukuchan may be famous one day tasukuchan's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LenMiyata
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

I've been watching the IkkiTousen DVDs, and it's easy to understand why it didn't become popular. It does have high quality animation of the fight scenes, but take away the fight scenes and the fanservice, and what do you have left??? There's no story plot worth remembering. This seems to apply to nearly all the school fighting series and girls with guns series. Their aimed for a narrow specific niche market of hobbiest, but without a story line, their unable to break out into the main stream audience.

That's true ~ but it still didn't become popular, like all other animes that have all the fighting , blood, and "booby-bombs". I thought it was pretty funny, but the dubs killed it. I never got through the entire series, to be quite honest, actually heh...

What I heard from my friend was Sonsaku Hakufu manages her superstrength and it has a good ending. But when it comes down to "an anime being a success", I guess it's all just a matter of person preference. I really don't know what kind of animes I like. I found myself enjoying Serial experiments Lain, Lunar Legend Tsukihime, Elfen Lied, and Onegai Twins and Teacher. Yet my liking varies: I was intriguied by such mainstreamed ones as Wolf's Rain, Cowboy Bebop, FLCL, Trigun, and Samurai Champloo. There is such a difference in that variety... From Lain being a philosophical series and Tsukihime being almost symbolic, and the Onegai series being "feminine", Elfen Lied being brutally gorey.

Yes...it's definitely a matter of opinion. For me anyway! Some might consider otherwise...

Newbie Sora may be famous one day Sora may be famous one day Sora's Avatar
    Thanks

caz we have so many japanese teens!

Newbie Mahoro the Kitty may be famous one day Mahoro the Kitty may be famous one day Mahoro the Kitty's Avatar
    Thanks

Who knows, but its probably how many people that are interested in it or something. Meh...

AO's Demon Slayer Hexxagon Champion, Match Stick Soccer Champion Blade X may be famous one day Blade X may be famous one day Blade X's Avatar
    Thanks

Well think about the title has to catch the eye and make the customer wonder wut is this about. Like when I first saw the anime titles like Hellsing, Samurai X, Flames of Recca. But the story has to be good enough to leave them wanting more.

Thanks for the siggy Ky-lyrra

Newbie Neko Nezumi may be famous one day Neko Nezumi may be famous one day Neko Nezumi's Avatar
    Thanks

Well, there are many reasons a series becomes popular...things like storyline and character growth and development are very important to the likeability of an anime. Unfortunately I've noticed a more common trend: Things with gimmicks become popular, especially in recent years. Fanservice and violence sell, and I've seen quite a large number of 'otaku' in my area make decisions on what to buy based on that. I've bought titles from recommendations based on these shallow viewpoints and have been severely disappointed with the results (such as Weiss Kreuz and Sakura Taisen.) A catchy title can be a good selling point as well, but I for one won't buy a title based solely on that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast