Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What makes someone a genius?

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks

What makes someone a genius?

8-Year-Old Admitted to Inha University
    An eight-year-old prodigy was admitted to a local university, becoming the youngest college student in the nation.

Inha University located in Inchon, west of Seoul, said Monday that Song Yoo-gun has been admitted to the College of Natural Sciences after passing the exams with an excellent score in physics.

Song answered the questions by using quantum mechanics during his admissions interviews on Oct. 22.

The university plans to offer special programs designed to cultivate those who are talented in science like Song, who is known as the science prodigy.

Science and Technology Minister Oh Myung said that the ministry will also launch a task force consisting of four to five experts to support Song’s scholastic excellence for about five years.

“The government will provide educational and financial support for Song after he registers with the university, allowing him to use the experimental facilities of state-run institutes and study at a top-notch university abroad,” Oh said.

It took only nine months for Song to complete elementary, middle and high school curricula that usually take most Korean students 12 years.

He completed primary school courses in February, three months after enrolling in an elementary school in Kuri as a sixth grader.

In one month, he passed the qualification test for a middle school diploma and it took him just two months to pass the high school qualification exam in May as the youngest child.

“Song decided to go to Inha University because of its practical educational curriculum rather than seeking the prestige of other universities,” said Song Soo-jin, his father.

The father said that his son will contribute to the nation and compete with scientists around the world.

“I am very glad to be admitted to the university. I will study harder in physics,” the prodigy said.

Song studied at the Korea Science Academy, a high school specially designed for the gifted in the southeastern port city of Pusan.

Song has also been taught by a math professor of the Center for Gifted Education at Inha University.
    Ok, this isnt a spam thread. I thought of a debate-able subject from this story.

Do you think this childs intelligence comes from genetics or can he use more of his brain than the rest of us? On the other hand maybe if taught right at an early age and with the right teaching anyone can become as smart as this kid?

So whats your theorys on why a person like this is so much smarter than the rest of us???
    Last edited by Miroku4444; Nov 08, 2005 at 11:19 AM.

Devoted Otaku Spike'sRose may be famous one day Spike'sRose may be famous one day Spike'sRose's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: What makes someone a genius?

That story is petty amazing. (^_^) But for me personally, a genious has more than book smarts. A genious is someone who has a deeper understanding of the various aspects of life. Someone who applies their vast and intense knowledge to a well defined purpose...

No one is more intelligent than anyone else. Everyone is different, and has different knowledge levels on different topics. Just because an 8 year old knows more about physics than you doesn't mean you are stupid, or that he is "smarter" than you.

I also feel that a "genious" uses more of his/her brain than the average person. We only use a small amount of our mind ... There must be a certain part of our brains that needs to be unlocked for us to harness our true potential as human beings.

is On Point Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi's Avatar
    Thanks

genius is someone who has enough common sense to not be fooled by fancy talk and bureaucratic expectations...

You's Trollin Pro Leafblower Champion, Helicopter Champion ketaro is making a name for themselves ketaro is making a name for themselves ketaro's Avatar
    Thanks

There are many people that are called genius but when dealing with life matters they are really dumb. Albert Einstein wasn't a genius, he even failed math once, but he did not give up and at the end he became one of the most famouse scientists in history, if you really think that you are dumb, just don't give up and try hard to make all your dreams come true.

Otaku twistergal723 may be famous one day twistergal723 may be famous one day twistergal723's Avatar
    Thanks

On average humans only use 10%(I think..Somewhere around that general area)of their brains...Maybe genius/prodgies use more of their brain and veiw things from every angle while people only view from 1 or 2 angles.......

I'm ♥mazing!

11:11 Delerium may be famous one day Delerium may be famous one day Delerium's Avatar
    Thanks

Honestly, and this may stray a little off topic but if I had a choice I'd rather have commen sense, street smarts, or be wise over being a genius.

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble

At that young an age, extreme intelligence is mostly genetic, as the subject is too young for significant environmental influence to have a positive effect. People have been trying for centuries to 'train' children to be genius, and nearly all the techniques have only shown a few percentage points above average for an increase....

There is also the autism conditions that is commonly called 'Idiot Savant' where a person shows extreme ability in a limited skill set, while having limited ability in the rest of his skills..

Wisconsin Medical Society - Savant FAQ
    http://www.wisconsinmedicalsociety.org/savant/faq.cfm

Quote Originally Posted by twistergal723
    On average humans only use 10%(I think..Somewhere around that general area)of their brains...Maybe genius/prodgies use more of their brain and veiw things from every angle while people only view from 1 or 2 angles.......
    This is actually a commen misconception, as modern MRI scans show that the average person uses ALL of his brain. Alot the Brain functions simply coudn't be measured in the past (without modern MRI scans, how could you measure something like 'Music appreciation' and it's effect on the Brain) and was either ignored, or classified as 'unknown function'. Plus dissection of genius brains after death have shown distinct differences from 'average' brain structure. (It was reported that Einstien's brain had more pronounced cortical folding when compared to an 'average' brain)
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

RPG Lord and Master/Poet Soldat of life may be famous one day Soldat of life may be famous one day Soldat of life's Avatar
    Thanks

I've heard about this a few times on TV a while ago, but if I remember well, young geniuses seem to loose their so called intelligence after a while. So I say maybe the brain is used much more, but maybe its used so much that it may harm the growth and well being of the child as most of his evolution is around the brain at an accelerated rate. I think we should really take a look at how the brain of a young genius looks like and see what we could find out, like we did with Albert's brain...though some went quite a bit overboard with that brain...
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldat of life View Post
    My favorite philosopher:
    Hassun

Thanks to Xelhes for this amazing work of art ^.^
    Poetry Corner CLICK HERE IF YOU KNOW ME

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast