Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: What are you running?

Otaku thevampirealacrud may be famous one day thevampirealacrud may be famous one day thevampirealacrud's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanx you guys. I think I will build my own computer but I am a Manga and Anime expert not a PC expert and I will not know what to buy (i know the basics but not the extravagent parts). Plz help my spend limit is 5,000 b/c I have to pay for tuition
    "You have the strength and power to control your own destinies...and that is the greatest gift of all." ~Lucia

Otaku sedka may be famous one day sedka may be famous one day sedka's Avatar
    Thanks
    $5,000? That is a very high limit. Most of the systems here, even custom built, will not go over $3,000. Most are around $1,500-$2,000. The computer you want to build, depends on what you want to use it for...gaming, school work, or just webbrowsing and e-mail.

Gaming: you want the best, for future games that require better hardware.
    others: you don't need much at all

Since you are not too familar with the PC, you prob don't want to get too much into cooling, and upgrading every year. Therefore you want a system that will last you a few years.

Otaku thevampirealacrud may be famous one day thevampirealacrud may be famous one day thevampirealacrud's Avatar
    Thanks
    Oh I know about cooling and I have a good buddy who is majoring in electronics and knows enough about comp. to help me install and update I just need to know about what good parts are too get. you know a varied opinion. I game and use the comp. for everything 90% of my schoolwork is done on the comp. I Love to game. Yeah well I did not know how much money I would need so I saved up alot... I guess too much? Well the more I have for it the better! Please reply... Oh and thanx Sedka!! :P
    "You have the strength and power to control your own destinies...and that is the greatest gift of all." ~Lucia

Newbie conceptx may be famous one day conceptx may be famous one day conceptx's Avatar
    Thanks
    Well I just built out a decent Machine for everyday use and enough power to handle most of the recent games. Now this wasn't for me but for my friend who just moved and wanted something compact but still easy to use. Total cost on that machine was about $1100 with out a monitor. Before you can really select parts you need to figure out just how much you want to spend and know that its going to be at least + or - $150 either way. Also consider size of the machine, for example do you want a small foot print or go for a tower PC.

When you do start looking for parts, the brands which have never done me wrong are as follows:

Asus for Motherboards
    Western Digital or Segate for HD (Maxtor too but not there SATA drives)
    Graphics card brands don't make much difference if your not going for Super High end I'd suggest PCI-E ATI x700 or Nvidia 6600GT Look for the 256MB version though
    For RAM OCZ, Corsair or GIEL DDR2 if you can but DDR is fine as well depending on the Motherboard you select.
    DVDRW drive (now you don't have to get one but for the price you might as well) Pioneer is always the safe way to go
    CPU truthfully depends on your budget AMD or Intell I've used both and for everyday use just pick a name and then you can pick your motherboard

Oh yeah and finally Mouse only one mouse to get out there and that is the Logitech MX510 best mouse for games... seriously.

Now as for places to get the parts, I live close to way to many retailer so I don't order mine online, but when I have Newegg is the place I would go.
    |be it known|i know nothing|

Legendary Otaku Sinistra may be famous one day Sinistra may be famous one day Sinistra's Avatar
    Thanks
    Cases will run from 30 to 400 bucks depending on if you want a modded case. I just bought one that was about 49 bucks had a custom mod case so it depends on what you want

Thanks
    Thanx but I need a variety of choices from everyone. not just one but this is extremely helpful. ^.^

Newbie JEEB may be famous one day JEEB may be famous one day JEEB's Avatar
    Thanks
    Foreword

Like Sedka said, $5000 is quite a big sum, I think that maybe only a real 'gimme-all-the-newest-stuff'- computer fanatic could use such sum for a pc (I'm saying this even though I am not so far from someone like that myself). I think it'll round to about 2900$ (only the things inside the casing and a copy of WinXP Pro), even if you don't really look at the parts' cost-effectiveness- ratio.

Another good thing is that if you won't install any hugely modified cooling etc. systems (which you propably won't) you won't have a really tough nor long time with installing the hardware. Additionally, almost all of the CPUs have covers on their cores nowadays (not like my Thunderbird). Reading the manuals and different articles on the subject is still a good thing to do, even if you have a good friend that could actually do the installation for you ^^. And then there's DDR2 - right now its speed is on the same line as 'first-generation-DDR's', so it isn't really worth buying. I can't say that it could not evolve into a faster, leading memory type later, but right now I'd bet on standard DDR.

As for systems, I made a version of a heavy-load workstation that will be able to run a Windows XP pretty well ^^, but won't cost your wallet off. It matches pretty well (I think) the 'typical powerhorse'- stereotype. Here we go:

Inside the Casing
    • A Full-ATX casing
      for maximum easiness of installation and enough room
    • 400w Power Supply
      (at least, brands really don't matter, if you need quietness - go for a quiet model and so on and so on)
    • MSI K8T Neo2-FIR
      As the motherboard (ASUS and MSI [don't forget about ABIT, either] are both good, I think, but I have this stupid vision in my head that MSI is a bit more 'professional' in some weird way - and ASUS is a bit more expensive)
    • AMD Athlon 64 3500+ (Boxed)
      (comes w/ cooling, which is basic - but not really silent)
    • 1Gb DDR RAM, 400Mhz
      (if enough money, double it - there's never too much of this stuff on your PC)
    • 120Gb Serial-ATA HD, 7200RPM
      (or 200Gb, brands tend not to matter)
    • ATi Radeon X800 (256Mb)
      Video card, if you're running low with money, pick Radeon 9800XT 256Mb
    • LG GSA-4163B DVD-RW (double layer) drive
      A Mikrobitti test winner
    • Creative Sound Blaster Live! Audigy 2 ZS Platinum
      (I'm old school, I like sound cards)

Outside Elements

Then of course there're the choices of monitor and keyboard etc. I think you can choose the ones you want. Although, if you like first-person shooters, the MX-510 Conceptx mentioned is almost the absolute 'l33tmastah'- tool. For keyboards, as a personal opinion, Microsoft made some (surprisingly, to be frank) good ones. I'm using the M$ Internet Keyboard Pro right now, but I think Logitech might have some better ones nowadays. From the audio department I'd go either to Labtec's or to the Creative Soundworks' side. Both are good enough for playing and even for some audio ^^.

When buying flat-screen- monitors, be sure to check that the monitor unit you're getting doesn't have any dead or otherwise broken dots. The current, most frequent, ISO- regulation seems to allow three dead pixels, which sometimes leads to frustration if you've got a bright blue dot in the center of the screen all the time. In other ways the quality's pretty much the same between monitors of the same price range, so if you like some firm, buy it. Just don't buy Orion ^^ (my cheap one shows everything with somewhat yellowish tan).

Ending

I did not include such things like ADSL- modems etc. in this text, because they are somewhat non-compulsory. Of course a connection to the internet would be nice, but you'll decide by yourself what you'll use to connect your PC to your ISP (most motherboards have built-in network cards in them, so connecting an existing ADSL- modem would not be a problem). I hope I've been a help.
    人生フゥ~!!!

Newbie Brother may be famous one day Brother may be famous one day Brother's Avatar
    Thanks
    Dual Intel Xeon 3.4GHz
    16 GB RAM
    8 Hot-Swap Slots (I Believe they are used for hardrives?)
    Currently on Linux

Sounds crazy but those are the specs for my friends Server Blade. I don't know if it would work for a normal PC but would be crazy if it could.

In Nomeni Patri Et Fili Spiritus Sancti

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast