Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: what's the next step for mankinds evolution

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by erosennin
    I have a question about this, actually. I almost got done writing before I realized this. By what method did they ascertain that brain surgery had been attempted on these workers? Even in mumifications, the brain is removed through the nose, it isn't even intact. Not to mention my suspention of disbelief is would be somewhat stretched for an intact, ancient brain, all things considered, without a reference. I obviously haven't heard of these findings, so to me it would seem that they would have to go off of markings on the skull, which leaves an enormous ammount of information to be desired, and actually doesn't prove they did jack to the brain other than cut on the skull.
    Actually all they have to do is look at the bones. When surgery is done on a bone there are easily interpeted markings. If the person dies from the surgery there is no change in the bones from the time of surgery. When a person survives a surgery there is a natural process that occures as the bone "knits" itself back together. It is even possible to see by the condition of the bone how many years it has been since it healed. This process is again stopped by death so that even thousands of years later they can look at a bone and know what was done to it and how long they lived afterward.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Otaku erosennin may be famous one day erosennin may be famous one day erosennin's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna
    Actually all they have to do is look at the bones. When surgery is done on a bone there are easily interpeted markings. If the person dies from the surgery there is no change in the bones from the time of surgery. When a person survives a surgery there is a natural process that occures as the bone "knits" itself back together. It is even possible to see by the condition of the bone how many years it has been since it healed. This process is again stopped by death so that even thousands of years later they can look at a bone and know what was done to it and how long they lived afterward.
    Yes, well, this is my point. You specifically said brain surgery, when all there is to work off of is the skull. So, my question was not 'how can we tell they cut into the skull' but 'how can we tell they did anything to the brain'? You also said they were capable of repairing damages through brain surgery that are difficult to live through now, so I'm curious as to how they got from point A to point B using nothing but the skull. Saying that the person lived though and after it tells me absolutely nothing about what was actually done to that person.
    Last edited by erosennin; May 08, 2005 at 07:41 PM.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks
    Yes, well, this is my point. You specifically said brain surgery, when all there is to work off of is the skull. So, my question was not 'how can we tell they cut into the skull' but 'how can we tell they did anything to the brain'? You also said they were capable of repairing damages through brain surgery that are difficult to live through now, so I'm curious as to how they got from point A to point B using nothing but the skull. Saying that the person lived though and after it tells me absolutely nothing about what was actually done to that person.
    Because they can also tell what kind of trauma occured to require the surgery to begine with. Incidently, anytime the skull is opened exposing the brain it is considered brain surgery.

A link for The History of Brain Surgery from a website by Brain & Neuro Surgery Information Center.

PS. The site states that Eygyptian knowlege of anatomy "may have been rudimentary" but recent evidence seems to prove just the opposite since the surgury evidence they are uncovering involves a great deal more then just brain surgery.
    Last edited by Arrianna; May 08, 2005 at 07:56 PM.

Otaku erosennin may be famous one day erosennin may be famous one day erosennin's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna
    Because they can also tell what kind of trauma occured to require the surgery to begine with. Incidently, anytime the skull is opened exposing the brain it is considered brain surgery.

A link for The History of Brain Surgery from a website by Brain & Neuro Surgery Information Center.

PS. The site states that Eygyptian knowlege of anatomy "may have been rudimentary" but recent evidence seems to prove just the opposite since the surgury evidence they are uncovering involves a great deal more then just brain surgery.
    My good gracious. Provide me with a .edu or a book title, please. My professors wouldn't take this website on good faith if I provided it in an essay and neither should you. The fact that it's an MD Professor and it's not an educational address makes me even more suspicious, no offense.

Edit: Not to mention that this site is not only a .com but old. One of their links to their 'awards' is dead. The other link for an award takes you to another page on the same address, and their 'medindex' reference is a page that exists but isn't currently up.
    Last edited by erosennin; May 08, 2005 at 08:25 PM.

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks
    Grumble Grumble Grumble
    My good gracious. Provide me with a .edu or a book title, please. My professors wouldn't take this website on good faith if I provided it in an essay and neither should you. The fact that it's an MD Professor and it's not an educational address makes me even more suspicious, no offense.
    Okay, does this web link look more credible...
    http://www.neurosurgery.org/cybermus...0th/index.html
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Thanks
    I took the liberty of looking up some resources. And yes, skull fractures and head trauma do fall under brain surgery, and yes, the egyptians did seem to practice it. Incidentally, I could have learned this a lot faster had you actually provided me with a viable link such as http://www.mnsu.edu/emuseum/prehisto...n_surgery.html and http://www.umm.edu/ency/article/003018.htm as opposed to a .com which I have no way of verifying the varacity except through further research.

Thanks
    Lazy?

I learned about it through other sources besides the net which have no url. The link I provided you was simply a synopsis of the history much of which is in the process of being rewritten as discoveries such as the one's in Egypt are being made.

Perhaps next time instead of asking me to explain you can google it yourself since you know what you consider proof better then I do.

Thanks
    1. Don't ever call me lazy. There is no repercussion, and I'm not going to explain.
    2. Agreed

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast