Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What's the software you use for CG?

Otaku Moonlight_Huang hou may be famous one day Moonlight_Huang hou may be famous one day Moonlight_Huang hou's Avatar
    Thanks

Question What's the software you use for CG?

I'm not sure on what software I should get for coloring in my illustrations. So I'm interested in knowing what everyone else uses before I go out an buy one ^_^
    What do you use to color in your illustrations? Perhaps Adobe 7 or that new software, Adobe Photoshop CS2?

Otaku know1 may be famous one day know1 may be famous one day know1's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: What's the software you use for CG?

You should probably put more detailed info up before this forum can reply properly. What type of computer do you have (Platform, OS release, CPU, RAM, Graphics card--that sort of stuff would help if you know it)? Also, do you plan on scanning hand drawn sketches, or are have they been created using a basic drawing program? Do you have a pen and tablet, or are you going to use a mouse? How serious are you about detailing your sketches?

Adobe Illustrator seems to be the best program for your task, but it can only be useful if your computer can handle it, and is better (but not limited) suited for pen and tablet work. The "catch" is its price tag and steep learning curve to those who are unfamiliar to digital art programs.

Photoshop 7 and CS can do some of the things that Illustrator does, but are better suited for raster graphic manipulation. Also, for the price, photoshop 7 is a much better deal than CS. Most of the differences between the two releases are not very important for non-commercial work. You can easily get by without them.

Otaku Moonlight_Huang hou may be famous one day Moonlight_Huang hou may be famous one day Moonlight_Huang hou's Avatar
    Thanks

oh ok. Thanks ^_^. I have a Windows XP (2000 at the moment...computer recently broke.) I want to get a pen and tablet....but don't have it at the moment. I do sketches hand drawn. (Sometimes I trace over with a pen some times I don't) I draw lots of details mainly on the characters costume design.

Banned MediaLuna may be famous one day MediaLuna may be famous one day MediaLuna's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlight_Huang hou
    oh ok. Thanks ^_^. I have a Windows XP (2000 at the moment...computer recently broke.) I want to get a pen and tablet....but don't have it at the moment. I do sketches hand drawn. (Sometimes I trace over with a pen some times I don't) I draw lots of details mainly on the characters costume design.
    For something like that I would recomend using Photoshop, it is easier to use and it will give you really nice results... Also you can find tons of tutorials on how to CG your sketch...

Otaku Barronmore may be famous one day Barronmore may be famous one day Barronmore's Avatar
    Thanks

What does your budget look like? Can you afford a couple of hundred for Photoshop? Are you looking more to do photo realisim/editing or illustrations? Both? Are you a student or not? There's a lot of factors involved. Are you looking at a tablet PC or a WAICOM tablet that you plug in and use like your mouse? The tablet alone can determine what program you'll want to use with it.

If cost is an issue (past the tablet) I would suggest two opensource (and free) programs.

GIMP or GIMPSHOP: (www.gimp.com) (www.gimpshop.net)
    Inkscape: (www.inkscape.com)

GIMPshop is GIMP with a diffrent menu layout that mirrors photoshop. I'd sugest GIMPShop over GIMP any day of the week, but the underlying program is the same either way. It's the closest photo editing program to photoshop's power that I've found.

Inkscape is a vector graphics program that is still in it's development stage. It's stable and it's quite usalbe but it is still being worked on quite a bit. It's goal is to someday rival Illustrator in it's power. We'll see if it ever gets there, but it will give you a good indication if you want to do vector graphics or not.

Newbie ZarakiKenpachi may be famous one day ZarakiKenpachi may be famous one day ZarakiKenpachi's Avatar
    Thanks

I just use photoshop CS2 basically

Otaku know1 may be famous one day know1 may be famous one day know1's Avatar
    Thanks

That GimpShop program sounds like a good idea, but I've never used it personally. Another solution would be to get photoshop elements for around $99. You can do some of the essential touch up and editing work with it (extraction, fills), and it will get you used to working with Adobe products. The downside is that you don't get the more advanced color manipulation and correction tools (especially the monitor calibraion--although it may not be something you need anyway), and the higher filter effects.

Otaku tom_san may be famous one day tom_san may be famous one day tom_san's Avatar
    Thanks

i use colored pencils and crayons!! just kidding! phtoshop!

i wish my grass was emo so it would cut itself.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast