Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: what's some good techno/rave/anything related to this?

Self Banned and Loving it narrator may be famous one day narrator may be famous one day narrator's Avatar
    Thanks
    I think the song Jadderabbit is referring to is "pikachu muthf*cka" by Aphex Twin......(sigh) the guys a genius im telling you....who else would mix pikachu sound bytes with a down tempo almost "drive-by" sounding trip hop beat. Genius.
    Last edited by narrator; Jan 18, 2005 at 10:57 AM.

Materials Master KnightofNi may be famous one day KnightofNi may be famous one day KnightofNi's Avatar
    Thanks
    the truth is, is that there are many different EDM's it seems like people create new styles of music everyday, also depends on what you want to listen to, also whether old school or new. Groups and such I recommend are

Trance/Eurodance/Techno-whatever you wanna call it
    Paul Van Dyke
    Paul Oakenfold
    Ian Van Dal
    Darude
    4 Strings

Electronica
    Chemical Brothers
    Aphex Twin
    Underworld
    Photek
    Future Sound of London
    Crystal Method
    Prodigy
    Orbital

Basically just start listening, soon you will find what you like best.

Also if you want to try a variety of electronica bands, try the Wipeout XL soundtrack, it has nothing but Euro-Electronica.

Oh yeah and just a personal opinion but American EDM sucks, its all about the Eurod EDM.
    Last edited by KnightofNi; Jan 18, 2005 at 12:47 PM.

Clan orders: Wear the signature of defeat with pride.

Newbie Hammerfist may be famous one day Hammerfist may be famous one day Hammerfist's Avatar
    Thanks
    Techno is crap my little anime friend. Stop listening to it right now. I'll give you some good old Country tunes to listen to instead!

Hammer

Otaku Skillzpay may be famous one day Skillzpay may be famous one day Skillzpay's Avatar
    Location Location: Location Location: Error!
    Thanks
    *sigh*
    Look, trance and I suppose I should throw in progressive trance too, is more about the melody and the hook. The percussion is usually on the simpler side and of course the bass is important. Techno is all about its sophisticated percussion and big bass. Vocals are important to both but play different roles as you'll hear full and complete vocals in trance and just short samples in techno. And yes to whoever said it's starting to get blurry between the genres, although not quite in the way that was mentioned if I understood it correctly. What we're seeing are deviations and "bastard children" of these core genres such as progressive house, tech-house, tech-trance, etc.

Examples...
    Trance: Paul van Dyk, Armin van Buuren, Steve Helstrip, DJ Tiesto, Filo & Peri,
    Techno: Umek, Dave Clarke, Carl Cox, Jeff Mills, Speedy J
    Commercial cheese: Ian van Dahl, Darude, Barthezz, ATB, Lasgo

As for some of the other smaller points brought up...
    Sasha is NOT techno. Listen to Airdrawndagger, Involver, Northern Exposure CDs and such and compare those to a liveset or songs from the techno guys that I mentioned above, you'll hear the distinct difference. You can't really even classify Sasha, I'd just call him his own style :P as he spins and produces an assortment of genres all with his own unique style plus with the times he has moved to different sounds and styles. I will say that he has definitely been more about Progressive as he's been involved with lots of stuff that's encompassed progressive elements.....lots of progressive house, ambient, progressive breaks, breaks, and some trancey stuff. Or if you want to put it into simpler terms, he's boring lol.

And as for American EDM sucking, just like any other country, we have an abundance of talent who are very well recognized, unless you're telling me the likes of Markus Schulz, Filo & Peri, Christopher Lawrence, Deepsky, Deep Dish, Stephane K, Noel Sanger, John Creamer, and we can't forget Gabriel & Dresden aren't good enough for you. Lots of them in fact get more attention in Europe than they do here since the pop and hip hop culture is so big here in America.

Materials Master KnightofNi may be famous one day KnightofNi may be famous one day KnightofNi's Avatar
    Thanks
    just so that we are all on the same page, here is the definition of Electronic Dance Music

EDM Definition

Clan orders: Wear the signature of defeat with pride.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3