Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: where do you start?

Otaku Hibiki Tokai may be famous one day Hibiki Tokai may be famous one day Hibiki Tokai's Avatar
    Thanks
    It differs in people, but for me, I usually start on the face structure, then the nose line, then comes the eyebrows, eyes, hair, ears then down to torso. I usually use a 2H for sketching, then a H for touch up in sketching. Then a 2B mechanical comes in for the final work. Tones and shades will be done with HB, H and 2B pencils, depending on the tones. Then I'll do the inking that will be combined with technical pens from size 0.1 until 0.5, and color will be 0.8 and black markers. This is kinda long, so stopping here Hope this is a detailed enough expalination of my process
    Fi5th Column
    ----
    Thx to Trunks for this wonderful sig~.
    ----

Newbie Winter may be famous one day Winter may be famous one day Winter's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by andiishere
    hey guys, i was just wonderin'..... where do you start your pictures?
    for example- i start by drawing the head and then the torso then the libs, and some times i start by drawing the eyes (these pics often go wrong..!) and what type of pencils do you use? i start by using a '3h' then when i am happy about the pose and BG i use a 'B' to out line and shade it into have some tone depth.... well i am just curious how you guys draw realy!
    Well, for me, I usually start with the head and work up with the hair, then down with the neck, body, arms, legs, feet then accessories, etc.

Newbie animecutie23 may be famous one day animecutie23 may be famous one day animecutie23's Avatar
    Thanks
    I start drawing with the eyes o.o

Newbie andiishere may be famous one day andiishere may be famous one day andiishere's Avatar
    Thanks
    Wow...O_o a load more replies..... hey thanks guys for postin it's realy intersting to see how you start of your pic's

well the piont of theis post is to tell you of a new techneque i found out in a recent book i bought,

first sketch out your pic (again i start with the outline of the heads basic shape then the torso then the arms and legs, after the outline of the figure is down i add the hair, clothes and facial expression) then outline it in black water colour... this is the bit that makes the lines stand out more than pen... the line is not as dark but the width of the line varies much more with pressure... then i colour it in (with water colurs) and valoia! [sp] pic is done!

another little question... how do you get your ideas??? do you have youe own story that your characters come from?? (do you even have characters!!)

well thanks all for replying see ya around people!

Newbie KaiserD may be famous one day KaiserD may be famous one day
    Thanks
    *does a little jig*

I start off with the head, I might line up where I want features to go or I'll go straight ahead with positioning of the body. I use a .3 B mechanical pencil and when it comes to backgrounds, like when colouring I often dot around adding different details to different parts as I go. Just in my nature I guess, being a total scatterbrain.

My subject right now is nearly always my story. That's my life project, I've had the basis of it since I was 16 (am nearly 21 now) and I've kept with it, jiggling it, reforming it, changing it, molding it as I have more experience in my life. The whole thing has taken on an evolution process of its own so by the time I am 40 (that's my target for having my book finished lol) it shall be very refined indeed.

The artwork expresses the different characters, their expressions and behaviour and what they stand for in the story. Some of it is illustration based, of a scene or something and other times I am just playing around with different concepts. Ariana for example, is deeply influenced by my being a pagan - she represents a strength that is emotional more than physical, when terrible events can be used positivly, also her role from a girl to a leader, mother and queen. It's all complicated but all the characters (even those that are not originally mine (Gara, Coel) have influences pulled from other sources, people or events in my life/I have witnessed.

Sib
    Otaku Sib may be famous one day Sib may be famous one day Sib's Avatar
    Thanks
    I don't know about the rest of you, but I always start with a rough sketch before I start my actual work. I find that it makes things easier, and helps with the fluidity of the work later on.

But yes, in general I start with the head and work my way down. At first my drawings never look as though they are going to survive, but they somehow do work out (to one extent or another).

My full order is:

- Head.
    - Shoulders.
    - Upper & lower body frame.
    - Arm frame.
    - Leg frame.
    - Eyes.
    - Hair.
    - Clothes frame.
    - Clothes deatil.
    - The rest.

I used to start with the eyes first, but if you have problems with proportions as i do, then this way works rather well... but it does take longer. ^^;;

Hmmm... He's not technically human, so it wouldn't really be like cannibalism...
    .:Anime Relfections:.l.:SibArt (Being Updated):.

Newbie BlueTigerFour may be famous one day BlueTigerFour may be famous one day
    Thanks
    *uses nothing but a .5 HB and click eraser*

haha, $5 of Pentel supplies is all i need! Jaderabbit, i like your idea of smoothing with the paper, kind of like making one of those nibs you can buy. But without the buying part ^_^. I usually just use a tissue for smoothing shades, but it requires cleanup with my click eraser afterwards. *will try jaderabbit's technique on next drawing in 5 minutes*

As for drawing, i do a stick figure, draw ellipses over the parts, and then go to details. It helps me keep the proportions right, even when i'm trying to make my drawing look funny.

And for charaters, i usually think of a pose first and decide on character details later. A good drawing is secondary to an interesting (and natural) pose.

Otaku Ted Turtle may be famous one day Ted Turtle may be famous one day Ted Turtle's Avatar
    Thanks
    Lol it defers for people so you probably got like 10 different methods here. You should some methods that these guys gave plus get some reading materal on drawing. I start by imaging what I want first(in the pose, outfit, and ect.) then I draw the head first then go down the body. Also pay attention to how you draw the body and limbs like ears and feet. Plus remember the body is not at all stiff hair is flowing, clothes has shadow, etc. Lol you need dedication to art and know that artistic talent does not come over night.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast