Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is anime popular?

Newbie Mijuko may be famous one day Mijuko may be famous one day Mijuko's Avatar
    Thanks

Why is anime popular?

I've seen various topics nearing this question, but none that actually go out and say it:

Why is anime popular? What makes animated characters, not necessarily CG characters, in any setting, so popular to the people of this forum? What makes the love of anime in particular a trait that draws us all together? What is it about anime that makes it seem both different and better, in whatever way, than live-action?

There are plenty of fantasy or Sci-Fi movies that exist that have nothing to do with anime. There are plenty of movies about children, and even more about adults. What is it that makes anime itself different than any of these other things?

My current postulate is that anime remains, in japan, a media in which content for children and adults can be viewed, where difficult or controversial ideas can be put into plain light, and where truths can be shown that might otherwise be deemed 'innapropriate' or 'confusing' because of the absolute control the artist has over the subject matter. I know, however, that there must be other reasons, including just the gut instinct I have to want to watch anime (or any animated movie, for that matter) over liveaction.

Might anyone have any suggestions as to what these reasons are? Do you agree with my skeletal idea of why anime might be so popular? What flaws are there (and there are, of course, flaws) in my argument? What arguments can you bring to enlighten us (us - the forum community) as to the reasons behind the popularity of anime?

Otaku samurai sho may be famous one day samurai sho may be famous one day samurai sho's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Why is anime popular?

i think that anime is a way for people to escape and too go into the world's of these animated character's and also the way a anime is drawn may attract different people(2nd day here and still lovin it)

Devoted Otaku ZeRoGravity may be famous one day ZeRoGravity may be famous one day ZeRoGravity's Avatar
    Thanks

to put it simply, variety. In anime theres romance,action,drama,sci-fi etc. genres that is aimed towards a wider audience than North American cartoons which mainly focuses on children.

Variety is most likely the main reason which then links to, artstyle and story that anime puts out, that now draws in so many people. Personally i think everyone will enjoy anime if they pick the right series to watch and of course to give anime a chance.

Otaku samurai sho may be famous one day samurai sho may be famous one day samurai sho's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ZeRoGravity
    to put it simply, variety. In anime theres romance,action,drama,sci-fi etc. genres that is aimed towards a wider audience than North American cartoons which mainly focuses on children.

Variety is most likely the main reason which then links to, artstyle and story that anime puts out, that now draws in so many people. Personally i think everyone will enjoy anime if they pick the right series to watch and of course to give anime a chance.

exactly,well put man(oh and i like your avatar it's so cool)
    Last edited by samurai sho; Jan 04, 2006 at 01:47 AM.

Newbie fookongmick may be famous one day fookongmick may be famous one day
    Thanks

Wink Re: Why is anime popular?

Probably because in animes, you get to see some real life cases being depicted in the animes. In some instances, there are good morals from the show which really to a certain extent give kids a good example to learn from.

Animes, can depict an ideal setting of life for how people can live together. For example, the Gundam Seed series that depicts the hell of war and how people can actually work together to attain peace.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fookongmick
    Probably because in animes, you get to see some real life cases being depicted in the animes. In some instances, there are good morals from the show which really to a certain extent give kids a good example to learn from.

Animes, can depict an ideal setting of life for how people can live together. For example, the Gundam Seed series that depicts the hell of war and how people can actually work together to attain peace.
    I never looked at it that way,guess i learned something from you

Banned Rave_Grip may be famous one day Rave_Grip may be famous one day Rave_Grip's Avatar
    Thanks

Anime is popular because of it's style, as compared to the that other cartoon industries. The way they (producers) put their souls into drawing and animating the characters, manga and everything! And the good thing is we learn more about life (as said above about the morals we learn) from anime
    And do you know the Anime industries make more than 3 billion $'s a year
    And another reason is that it is exciting.

Banned lord nikon may be famous one day lord nikon may be famous one day lord nikon's Avatar
    Thanks

those, big eyes and the almost naked cute little gals, why else do you think its so popular, All anime are better than he-man, besides marvel, all the western comic and animation movies suck

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast