Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Why is anime popular?

Otaku Fluffy-Chan may be famous one day Fluffy-Chan may be famous one day Fluffy-Chan's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Why is anime popular?

Quote Originally Posted by ZeRoGravity
    to put it simply, variety. In anime theres romance,action,drama,sci-fi etc. genres that is aimed towards a wider audience than North American cartoons which mainly focuses on children.

Variety is most likely the main reason which then links to, artstyle and story that anime puts out, that now draws in so many people. Personally i think everyone will enjoy anime if they pick the right series to watch and of course to give anime a chance.
    Yes i agree with that also, well put ZeRoGravity .Most North American cartoons are just about super heros, but then with anime there romance, horror, etc

My Entity Is Unknown anime_being_god is making a name for themselves anime_being_god is making a name for themselves anime_being_god's Avatar
    Thanks

well i think people like it because it has stuff in it that people can only dream bout doin , and this way at least people can watch it

1st Sig finished 12-20-09

Anti syndicate spike spiegel may be famous one day spike spiegel may be famous one day spike spiegel's Avatar
    Thanks

it's more exiting and some of them emotional and intense to other people,their are lots of diffrent types, all people from all ages watches it, and some just like to watch it because of the colors or backgrounds and music.

"I let all that kind of blood away" Thanks Viper

Newbie SamIam may be famous one day SamIam may be famous one day
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mijuko
    I've seen various topics nearing this question, but none that actually go out and say it:

Why is anime popular? What makes animated characters, not necessarily CG characters, in any setting, so popular to the people of this forum? What makes the love of anime in particular a trait that draws us all together? What is it about anime that makes it seem both different and better, in whatever way, than live-action?

There are plenty of fantasy or Sci-Fi movies that exist that have nothing to do with anime. There are plenty of movies about children, and even more about adults. What is it that makes anime itself different than any of these other things?

My current postulate is that anime remains, in japan, a media in which content for children and adults can be viewed, where difficult or controversial ideas can be put into plain light, and where truths can be shown that might otherwise be deemed 'innapropriate' or 'confusing' because of the absolute control the artist has over the subject matter. I know, however, that there must be other reasons, including just the gut instinct I have to want to watch anime (or any animated movie, for that matter) over liveaction.

Might anyone have any suggestions as to what these reasons are? Do you agree with my skeletal idea of why anime might be so popular? What flaws are there (and there are, of course, flaws) in my argument? What arguments can you bring to enlighten us (us - the forum community) as to the reasons behind the popularity of anime?
    Personally, I think that anime or animated features are popular, because they represent a good medium for "flexible visual narrative" ... by this I mean that until the advent of CG ... cartoons allowed for a relatively cheap and practical means of displaying "fantastic" visual effects that would either cost to much or be techically difficulat to achieve in live action films ...

In addition, the virtual world of animation appears to be more conducive to "fantasy immersion" ... where the use of live actors merely "anchor" a story or scenario in pseudo reality due to the inescapable constraints on pre cg special effects.

For example ... imagine trying to pull of doing animated morphs (character into Chibi or Super Deformed characatures for comedic effect ... a good example being Fushigi Yugi, Oh My Goddess, Tenchi Muyo etc. IMO this kind of transformation is non threatening and thus potentially funny ... but when CG or real life effects are used ... it loses something in the translation ... and in fact can actually look quite scary or grotesque ...

So in short, I think that traditional animation and to a certain extent specialized CG allows for the creation of a virtually unlimited "plastic universe" where anything is possible and no one stays dead for long ...

Sam

champion of all champions banj_rave_03 may be famous one day banj_rave_03 may be famous one day banj_rave_03's Avatar
    Thanks

anime is very popular because even adults are watching it because they are interested with it
    but i need you here tonight
    i need you here inside
    i need you here tonight
    i really really need you here tonight

Otaku raven2424 may be famous one day raven2424 may be famous one day raven2424's Avatar
    Thanks

it also appeals to many differnt aducinces!
    Full Metal Alchemist - Anime news information and lots of fun.
    Anime Gallery - Check out the image gallery for some cool anime pictures.
    Anime Forums - Join my anime forums and help us grow while talking about what you love best anime!

Newbie schultzy may be famous one day schultzy may be famous one day
    Thanks

I am sure other have touched base on this. I read through the other replies, but have a memory like a goldfish. The biggest reason I think anime in the US and other countries is popular because of the fact that is really isn't just cartoons.
    Granted anime is short for japanese animation in a sense, but I don't think every thing coming out of Japan that is animated to be anime. I don't see things for little kids like Hello Kitty to be anime. I see it as a Japanese cartoon. What is anime is a debatable topic in its self. But remember that things liek Sailor Moon and Dragonball were all reedited and dubbed differently from teh original Japanese and made to be kids shows in the US.

Anime I feel is so popular because it is the equivilent of any kind of movie or TV show in the US. It is just done in an animated medium as opposed to film. It would have a love of CG, but things like Bleach, Naruto, Akira, Gundam, etc etc could all be done well and be regular movies or TV shows.

I also think it is popular because a lot is done with anime that US shows and movies don't always do. I tend to feel more for an anime character than a US TV or movie character. They also make you think more. Some people don't always see that though.

Not sure if I got my point through or not. I think I even managed to lose myself there Well, maybe someone will understand what I am saying.

Newbie Keitarou may be famous one day Keitarou may be famous one day
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SamIam
    Personally, I think that anime or animated features are popular, because they represent a good medium for "flexible visual narrative" ... by this I mean that until the advent of CG ... cartoons allowed for a relatively cheap and practical means of displaying "fantastic" visual effects that would either cost to much or be techically difficulat to achieve in live action films ...

[...]
    Heh, tell that Japanese Companies who are escaping to China to reduce their costs or Disney on that matter. :D

Somebody already pointed out the figure of the overall estimated taxes incoming through anime. In fact Japan is highly dependant on its animation related industry but that doesn't make anime popular, in fact it's not more popular than in most other countries, but the small otaku portion does make up for that, after all most of the money is made through the dvds and other merchandise like music, figurines, and bodypillows (your dirty fantasies are telling you the truth by the way :P). Anyway, anime is anything but cheap to produce, even when frame count is quite low (12 was it?), there's still the costs of the cells and the people working on them. Normal animators, while being relatively cheap are still too expensive and Key Animators, while getting considerably more money are overworked and still not really high-paid, aside from the fact that they are still far too expensive for the production. Seiyuu are pretty high paid on the other hand and all the advertising.

Anyway, anime isn't popular in Japan and it's not popular in other countries. There is some kinda boom, especially amongst the <20, because it's new, exotic and stylish but it still doesn't get more than a fraction of the recognition other media gets (and it better stays that way :P).

The stuff which can't be shown that well through other media is something I can agree though. After all it has a variety to offer which anything aside from the good old book is lacking. :)

CG by the way is a dirty and evil thing and luckily there's still the Japanese animation industry which uphelds the 2d banner. Though it's more because of the income which would be greatly reduced when switching for everything to cg. :)

I wouldn't bet on it staying that way though, seeing how blown up the current industry is, I don't think it'll go more than 5-6 years that way... :(

Quote Originally Posted by schultzy
    I am sure other have touched base on this. I read through the other replies, but have a memory like a goldfish. The biggest reason I think anime in the US and other countries is popular because of the fact that is really isn't just cartoons.
    Granted anime is short for japanese animation in a sense, but I don't think every thing coming out of Japan that is animated to be anime. I don't see things for little kids like Hello Kitty to be anime. I see it as a Japanese cartoon. What is anime is a debatable topic in its self. But remember that things liek Sailor Moon and Dragonball were all reedited and dubbed differently from teh original Japanese and made to be kids shows in the US.

No, anime is just a trendy word for animation. In Japan everything is animation, no matter where it's from. In the western world "anime" has become a distinct word to split the Japanese stuff from the rest of them cartoons. But basically it's all the same.

Aside from the fact that Sanrio (Hello Kitty maker) is not only considerably more known than most of the geeky anime makers and does have ratings which most other anime shows can only dream off.

So yeah, anime is either for kids (and also families - Doraemon, Sazae-san) or for geeks (the so to say children at heart). ;)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast