Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Why is anime popular?

is On Point Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Why is anime popular?

cuz there are lonley... lonely people out there...

heeeheeee!!! just kidding! ... i think it's cuz the jackets... EVERRYONE in anime has a cool jacket...

if you don't... just step down...

also the whole fantasy of "i can be the cocky bastard who can do everything and get the girl and save the world cuz i'm just so cool though i've accomplished nothing in real life..." is very appealing

Otaku Juice may be famous one day Juice may be famous one day Juice's Avatar
    Thanks

Its more entertaining then live action because it has a very artistic appeal. I like the anime characters a lot more then real life actors because they can be very distinct. All the actors these days look the same in real life. And cartoon chicks are much hotter then real life ones.

Talk less, Say More. Eat Less, Chew More. Whine Less, Breath More. Fear Less, Hope More. Hate Less, Love More.
    And all good things are yours

丹色 月影 BrightShadow_96 may be famous one day BrightShadow_96 may be famous one day BrightShadow_96's Avatar
    Thanks

Talking Re: Why is anime popular?

Anime is like an addictive drug- once you watch it once, you have to watch more (LOL) Anime is awesome and creative! If everyone had seen one episode of an anime, everyone would like anime!

Banned Rave_Grip may be famous one day Rave_Grip may be famous one day Rave_Grip's Avatar
    Thanks

Anime is better than any other cartoon because of it's creativity. Like the way they (anime animators) draw, plots, music and the way they make it look so perfect

AO shady bystander Comboling Champion bassdudez may be famous one day bassdudez may be famous one day bassdudez's Avatar
    Thanks

Its all about the looks of the chars, theyre so perfect.
    Kastelic's creation

Newbie rickstep may be famous one day rickstep may be famous one day
    Thanks

Keitarou,

Interesting take and well written. So do you think that anime is in a 'boom' period now and will decline in popularity? Also, do you know what kind of money those animators are paid?

Rick

Newbie Keitarou may be famous one day Keitarou may be famous one day
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rickstep
    Keitarou,

Interesting take and well written. So do you think that anime is in a 'boom' period now and will decline in popularity? Also, do you know what kind of money those animators are paid?

Rick

Ah, sorry for the late reply, I only occasionally visit forums since I tend to avoid the usual threads and only once in a while something catches my interest. And thanks a lot. ;)

Anyway, yes, anime is currently in a boom in some countries but also in its motherland, Japan, it did get more recognition as of late. The market is as big as it was never before, additionally it got somewhat more of attention due to last year's Densha Otoko craze.

There are exactly 50 titles, series and ovas, starting this spring (2nd quarter/season), as many as never before, this is partly due to many series running out after just one/two seasons but also partly to a few new slots which were added over the past year. The somewhat growing interest in Japan will pretty much flatten out within the next 5-6 years, at most. The fact that other bigger accepted markets (manga, novel etc.) are currently intervening with each other will only help the companies which hold accounts everwhere but the big stack will lose out in the long run. The end will be kinda like the '90 economic bubble. Which did hit the OVA market after all. This time it will be the whole market which will crumble.

Not different is the situation in other countries. I'm possibly not really able to estimate the US economics and give a proper review on the state there, but around here it's pretty much doomed to lose its boom and degenerate to a lost market. When it's not new anymore it loses its exoticism and becomes "ordinary". People are starting to lose interest pretty quickly when they encounter the fact that it's all just recycling to an extent, people develop other interests since anime/manga doesn't offer future prospects.

Point 1: So, yeah, while anime isn't popular, it reached a state of boom over the past few years and moves quickly on to become really popular, but as the large target group grows up and the media itself becomes too ordinary it will certainly go back into its former state of a dormant sleep. Of course that only accounts for the anime market, the manga market has a much better starting point and thus also future prospects.

Point 2: As to what such animators get. Animators are mostly paid for cels. The more cels you work on the more you get. Then there's the difference between what kind of animator you are. If you are a genga (key animator) you get more, a mere douga (Inbetweening) gets only a fraction of that. 200 Yen a cel seems to be the standard for most animation studios.

Of course it also depends on the size of the studio how much you get paid. At Ghibli it's 150,000 yen/month, IG Production is with 120,000 the number two. A few other bigger ones are to place around 100,000. At 50,000 yen/month the salary tops out out for smaller companies (that's yeah, like 80% of them). That's the most a douga gets when working on as many cels as he can and it's still not much. A regular salary man is much better off. It does increase over the years and you can get promoted to a genga and later perhaps even get a position as an enshutsu (animation director) or kantoku (director). That's what most people are hoping for, since those are the jobs where you make the money.

An interesting read on the various jobs in the anime industry: http://www.ex.org/2.1/12-beyondtvsafety.html

There's also another interesting read later on, future predictions for 1999. Quite interesting to see how some were right on, a few happened, though some time later, while others went in the opposite direction. :)
    Last edited by Keitarou; Mar 04, 2006 at 11:50 AM.

Messenger of Despair Hive Hero Champion dark angel swordsman may be famous one day dark angel swordsman may be famous one day dark angel swordsman's Avatar
    Thanks

it has what people like in it. blood, language, alcohol, violence, sex.....ehehehe.
    http://www.animeonline.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=7987&dateline=1181515  689
    I won't let this world exist without me! If I die, we all die! / Avatar & Signature by anime_8000.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast