Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Why do Americans change the format of Manga books?

Devoted Otaku youth_anime_fan may be famous one day youth_anime_fan may be famous one day
    Thanks
    I have read some mangas that were translated by independent people(not going to say who), but they make it so that the word bubbles/text parts read left to right. But the order they are set in is like that of the japaneese way. (which is upper right, DOWN, left, etc...)

An example:

(my name is guts) (why?) (What is your name?)

(then my name is trunks.) (because.) (you tell me yours first.)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I think that is how it goes... but it is better than all left to right, or vice versa.

I haven't read that many mangas actually, so if this is how most are done, well, shame on me.

M A S T E R Zui Quan may be famous one day Zui Quan may be famous one day Zui Quan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FinalFantasyFan
    I have been wondering why the Untited States and Canada change the format of manga books. Instead of reading it from right to left (the way it is supose to be read) they change it to left to right. Can you figure out why they do that?

The English language is read from left to right. Thus, the flow of the language also goes from left to right. This means that written material proceeds from left to right.

Japanese characters are read from right to left, dictating the flow of language on a page and thus the direction of a book.

Publishers change the "direction" of a manga in order for the flow of the book to make sense to people who have been taught from the first days of school to read from left to right. It provides less of a shock for the casual bookstore patron.

The current trend for North American publishers to start printing manga in the "Japanese" format has two sources:
    1) It's cheaper to print the book since they can eliminate the step of having to transpose all the pictures to their mirror image.
    2) Marketing research has shown that manga printed in the "American" style is instanstly reviled by the japan-centric consumers for not being "correct" and sales start to lag.
    Clan? What Clan?
    I'm the Master. I need no Clan.

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks
    Another major minus to the direction switching is the mirroring of the images, some manga try to minimize it as much as possible but I still find it very irritating when I see Manji's cross scar on the left side of his face for example.

Edit:
    Oh, Zui Quan already touched the subject...
    Last edited by Hassun; Jan 17, 2005 at 03:03 PM.

Sib
    Otaku Sib may be famous one day Sib may be famous one day Sib's Avatar
    Thanks
    Well, I think everyone probably has to admit that the first time they tried reading the other way around, they had a few problems. I certainly did ^^;

I guess that Arrainna got it in that it's just the work of marketing and publishers, trying to increase their sales by making manga less difficult for western audiances.

Hmmm... He's not technically human, so it wouldn't really be like cannibalism...
    .:Anime Relfections:.l.:SibArt (Being Updated):.

Otaku Karn may be famous one day Karn may be famous one day Karn's Avatar
    Thanks
    I never really had a problem with the flipping of manga (though I must say that most domestic manga I've seen lately have been un-flipped). I do remember one change that I guess could annoy people who like things to be authentic : In Parasyte, the flipping of the manga caused the right hand parasite to be changed to the left hand, thus changing his name to "Lefty". Personally, I didn't care, but there were some people who were upset.
    Last edited by Karn; Jan 17, 2005 at 02:10 PM.

Otaku Lenne may be famous one day Lenne may be famous one day Lenne's Avatar
    Thanks
    Because they are dumb...

Newbie Dezzy may be famous one day Dezzy may be famous one day Dezzy's Avatar
    Thanks
    This thead should be closed... I mean REALLY this is like arguing about which is better, left hand or right hand drive cars..... It doesn't make ANY difference. Think about it.

Newbie Oswald may be famous one day Oswald may be famous one day Oswald's Avatar
    Thanks
    I just don't understand how changing the format makes them dumb. Seriously, isn't it the content that matters?
    Due to budget cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast