Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do people classify other people?

Otaku Libitina may be famous one day Libitina may be famous one day Libitina's Avatar
    Thanks

Why do people classify other people?

Why do people classify other people. Like for example here in Mexico they classify people like....Fresa (kind of a stuck-up that likes lots of pink).....Darketa (well a goth)......Punketa (punk duh! ) etc etc etc.....what if you are none of those? Or why do they always classify.....Like one day I was with a guy and then he started asking me....What are you? Darketa, punketa, fresona....etc etc....but actually I'm none of those......and also like why do they just judge them y the first appearance. Like for example if I see a person and I don't like him just because he weares pink? Do you think that is fair? just dumb simple questions

is On Point Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Why do people classify other people?

cuz we're just stupid like that...

Warrior Monk kedar may be famous one day kedar may be famous one day kedar's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Abu Dhabi
    I agree, but judging others based on their appearance is totally wrong. I don't judge people by what they wear or how they look like, but on the way they act. In the Temple here, they told us this tale..............it was amazing. It dealt with this idea. However, it was long time ago..................I will see if I can find that monk who told us that story. If I find him, I will post that story here.

Nice question, it is not dumb. Never Belittle yourself..........................
    Last edited by kedar; Nov 24, 2005 at 09:08 PM.

of the AMC Innerhell may be famous one day Innerhell may be famous one day Innerhell's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Abu Dhabi
    a person is smart, but people are stupid

anyway, it's easier to label someone based on their appearance or their background or their behavior
    than to actually get to know a person and understand him/her more better

*yawn* woo... insomnia-induced craziness...
    lol, it happens...
    Last edited by Innerhell; Nov 24, 2005 at 11:52 PM.
    I love my girlfriend.

Idiot Impaler Agent Orange 216 may be famous one day Agent Orange 216 may be famous one day Agent Orange 216's Avatar
    Thanks

This question seems all the rage nowadays... So here's what I did...
    I did a search to find the last thread that was just like this and copied the exact reply I had in that one; so here ya go...
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange 216
    What could possibly fix that?

Oh yeah... Nothing. Like it or not, you do it too. Someday we'll have some super-cool Star Wars gadget that can blow up the planet, and we'll test this gadget, and then we'll all die. That's when the labels will be nomore.
    Either that or everybody being exactly the same, in which case we might as well be dead, would get rid of the social labels. Doesn't seem worth it to me, but hey, rationality isn't everything.
    The Last Remaining Realist.

See Dick Buy Beer, See Dick not Tip, See Dick try again, See Dick Go thirsty. Moral of the Story: Don't be a Dick.

Otaku millionbubbles may be famous one day millionbubbles may be famous one day millionbubbles's Avatar
    Thanks

Why do we classify people? Because its easy. Its easy to look at someone dressed up in all black and say goth or see a kid in all plaid with a mohawk and immediately think punk. If we can classify them then we have more a reason to like or dislike them. We don't actually have to get to know them. If you think "oh all black, its a goth, I hate goths, therefore I won't like them." But maybe that kid just likes black and actually likes classical music. People are just really lazy and its easier to brush someone off cuz of how they look insted of getting to know them.

Otaku Wobbuffetking may be famous one day Wobbuffetking may be famous one day
    Thanks

Note that labels are NOT always a bad thing. By dressing "goth-like" it would be easy to find people that have the same general interests. By like how MoonUnit said, labels arn't always 100% accurate. For example, just because a guy wears pink doesn't automatically mean that he is homosexual. It's just a generalization that people tend to follow since pink is more of a "feminine" (sp?) color.
    Too cool for a sig.

Self Banned and Loving it narrator may be famous one day narrator may be famous one day narrator's Avatar
    Thanks

Like Moon pointed out, labeling is just an easier solution than actually getting to know the individual. As easy as they are to make....they are almost pointless. For instance, if you saw me on the street and how i dress...you would assume i'm a "Tagger" and therefor only listen to Hip-Hop. But that isn't the only type of music i embrace, you wouldn't think that i listen to NIN, Prodigy, Massive Attack and Hendrix upon first glance. But there's always more than meets the eye.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast